Notices

Old November 5th, 2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): many!

Lanyards

Hi All,

Lanyards (which kill ignition and fuel when pulled) are commonplace at the drag strip and in land speed. Yet I never see them on road race bikes. Any thoughts as to why this is? The odds of losing control on a road course are a lot higher than at the drag strip or when you're all alone at a LSR event. ??
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2018, 07:25 PM   #2
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

Because in lsr and drag racing bikes are straight up and down. Bikes will travel very long ways with out a rider. At trackdays and road course racing, very rarely is the bike going to be straight up and down when an i incident occurs. When leaned over if I pilot ejects the bike is going to crash shortly there after for all practical purposes.
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

At my local track there has been a nasty accident two years ago in which a corner worker died.
The throttle body got stuck on the long straight, the rider panicked and jumped off. I guess he could have cut off the power instead. The bike went on straight and very unluckily hit the poor guy who later died at the hospital.

In this case, the lanyard would have very probably saved him.
And surely proper maintenance on the bike would have saved both, the corner worker from dying and the rider for a life long sense of guilt.

However, wearing the lanyard when you move from side to side on the bike would be a real pain, and probably kind of dangerous too if the lanyard gets stuck into something and cut the power unexpectedly.

BTW it's good practice to always turn off the engine with the right hand cut off switch instead of the key, so you build up the reflex to do it in an emergency.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2018, 08:06 AM   #4
Frank06
ninjette.org member

I always thought it would be best practice to have the power cut any time the rider separated from the bike. I'll contact an LSR guy I know who used to roadrace and ask him if he ever rode with a lanyard. You'd never feel a lanyard moving side-to-side but if the slack wasn't right I guess it'd be possible to accidentally cut power. FWIW I ride with an air vest (as do several others at my track) and the lanyard on that never interferes with anything.

Old November 7th, 2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Frank, I can see how killing the engine in case of a crash would be a good thing. Now that you mention it, it's interesting that's not required.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Frank06
ninjette.org member

The ex-roadracer I know never used them, he thought they might get caught up with all the moving around. I suspect they're not used because nobody has ever really done it i.e. no good reason not to. Maybe I'll install one and try it out next year.

Old November 7th, 2018, 01:18 PM   #7
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
I run them when drag racing and they never get in the way. I can freely move around with it, you have to get physically off the bike before it pulls off. i hook it to my wast and if I hooked it to my wrist there would be no way of it being in the way.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2018, 08:46 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I have one on my bike, it don't get in the way but takes some getting used to. You feel it at first, then disappears somewhere during the first lap.

The biggest issue... at some point you WILL forget about it when you raise your hand to exit the track. It WILL kill your engine. You WILL be trying to figger out how to start the bike while rolling so you don't end up stopping on the track or running into the grass.

Good luck!

Tip... use this to connect it to your hand.

EDIT: I would never use one while racing. Many orgs will combine classes and have a two stage start. Many times during a 2 stage start, they want the 2nd wave of riders to have their right hand in the air. This would not be a good time to forget and kill your engine. lol

I also don't use it while coaching, I need to move my hands way too much and to far. It just won't work out well.

Last futzed with by csmith12; November 10th, 2018 at 10:24 AM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Frank06
ninjette.org member

A lot of snowmobile drag racers clip their tether to their leathers i.e. not around their wrist. I'm not sure if they clip onto a zipper or something else, but their hands are definitely free.

Old November 10th, 2018, 05:12 PM   #10
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
EDIT: I would never use one while racing. Many orgs will combine classes and have a two stage start. Many times during a 2 stage start, they want the 2nd wave of riders to have their right hand in the air. This would not be a good time to forget and kill your engine. lol

I also don't use it while coaching, I need to move my hands way too much and to far. It just won't work out well.
We have to put both hands up.

Every time I've crashed, bike was nearby. One time it was actually still running, so I walked over and pushed OFF button.

I think it would be handy if attached somewhere else other than hands. Perhaps use some sort of pulley system and have it attached to rear of seat with air-vest cord.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote