ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #1
snowlife
ninjette.org member

Name: snow

Motorcycle(s): BMW f800gs

24.5 instep. challenge to find a bike.

I have researched the 250r quite well. I believe that with a few mods that it will be able to suit a shorter person, my GF (shorter than normal, 24.5inch instep).
But in the learning process one will drop a bike, $$$. I have done it (I now ride a f800gs... but have dropped my learner 3yr Suzuki Acorss and my...very tall... BMW). So I believe that purchasing an off road smaller bike for my GF to learn on would be ideal.
Drop it all you want, get use to a loose/bumpy surface, so tarmac should be no probs. I think that it would set her up well for riding a lowered 250r.

Please only reply it you have a relevant comment. Ladies replies especially welcome.
snowlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #2
kkim

some good info in here...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16459

if the 230L is too tall for her, consider a honda 150F for a used dirt bike to learn on.

I'm a firm believer everyone should be made to ride dirt bikes before they are ever allowed to ride on a street bike. That's a great plan you have for her to learn.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I first learned to ride on Honda 250 4 stroke dirt bike. My toes could barely touch the ground but it was a great learning experience. Dirt is alot softer to land on then pavement.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #4
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Good quality gear including armor Upper body flax jacket for those rocks that stick up incase she falls.

Old April 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #5
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I used to ride dirt bikes when I was little(er) and looking back, I think it was a great learning experience. Above all it makes you relax and realize you are on a rather powerful machine and you have to control it. The more you relax, the easier it is. They help with clutch control and other stuff as well. As for the turning... I think it's a little bit counter of riding a street bike, but that's my own opinion.

You can never beat a Honda. I personally rode a Kawasaki 110L, Honda CR80, Yamaha 250f (< retrospect, that was a bad idea) and some 50's just messing around. All bikes now are about the same, it's personal preference, no company is going to sell a "bad" quality product.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #6
chess
Ninjette Afficionado!

Name: chess

Motorcycle(s): Red...the sexiest color.

The seat on my Yamaha Virago 250 is 27" off the ground, and it's lighter than the Ninja (i think).

It's a great starter bike. Reliable. Power is from torque rather than RPMs. Plenty of used ones out there. If you lived close, I'd give you a good deal on mine.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/.../589/home.aspx

edit: just occurred to me that the Virago/V-star 250 might have a different name there. I think they just call it the XV250.
chess is offline   Reply With Quote