ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Need a 2nd pair of eyes on pre-gen valve cover

I had some free time today in which to do a small tune-up on the Ninjette and, in a stunning fit of optimism, I decided to do my valve adjustment too.

Besides wishing a pox on anyone who had anything to do with the placement of the exhaust rocker arm/locknuts, things went decently.

However, when I went to put my valve cover back on, I was struck by a brain fart and didn't remember what to do with this weird metal thingiemajib on the coolant pipe.

Can someone with a pre-gen take a peek at theirs and tell me whether it just sits next to the indent on the valve cover (as in the photos below) or whether it somehow goes above it or some other stupid thing?

The part I'm unclear on is the gold tab on the pipe that's resting up against the nub on the valve cover:

More context:

Old September 4th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

That tab fits into a hole that's under the valve cover extrusion just to the right of the tab in your picture. The valve cover clamps down on the tab and holds the coolant pipe down. Don't run the engine like that, pressure as the coolant temp rises is likely to pop the coolant pipe right out of the head.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #3
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
That tab fits into a hole that's under the valve cover extrusion just to the right of the tab in your picture. The valve cover clamps down on the tab and holds the coolant pipe down. Don't run the engine like that, pressure as the coolant temp rises is likely to pop the coolant pipe right out of the head.
Aha! I know the hole you're talking about. Thanks very much!