Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

600RR Vs GSX-R600

I'm in the market for financing a 600. I will be trading in the 250 as a big down payment, but am hesitant to now because I could probably find better deals before next season as it's already summer. I've grabbed a nice job, and am most likely taking a year off before college, working, and will have time to pay it off.

Here are the two bikes I'm looking at, they fit my budget (below $7k) & both have low miles:
Honda - http://www.newenglandpowersports.com...PC37064M105550
Suzuki - http://www.newenglandpowersports.com...GN7CA442104301

I saw the Honda in person, looks great, a couple cosmetic flaws, but it is a 10 year old bike. Haven't seen the Gixxer yet. Ironically, they're both 2004's with around the same mileage and pretty much have the same bodywork.

If you had a choice between the two which one would you go for?

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #2
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 636 250r

Those prices are jarring.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #3
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Realistically the dealer may give you $800 trade in value for your 250. They move quickly on craigslist and u could easily get double that for your bike. Then buy a newer bike with less miles for less money off of craigslist. Finance through a bank or credit union then do a burnout infront of that dealership while giving them the finger on your shiny 2008+ 600 and tell them to stick those prices and high interest rates up their ass (optional)

EDIT: Noticed your bike is a new gen. They might give u 1300 and you can get over 3k on craigslist all day

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds650rida View Post
Those prices are jarring.
Yep, I know... My only option is to suck it up and finance a dealer bike and end up paying an extra 1-2k in the end or wait until next season, sell my 250 on CL..and try to find a nice deal on there.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #5
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Honda, because I'm a blind Honda fanboy and support all of their products. Just kidding, sort of, I just really prefer Hondas over anything else. CBR just rolls off the tongue, it's so nice to say! GSXRs are plenty good, and the whole fit and finish argument between brands is less of an issue with decade old machines. A thrashed Honda will like like crap compared to a mint Suzuki. The squid presence really is strong with gixxers though. I kind of thought it was just a stereotype, squids do ride all bikes, but as I've experienced the "bike scene" more through various social gatherings and media, it honestly holds pretty true. But don't let that stop you from getting one if it's what you end up liking more, there are misconceptions about every group. Worrying about that crap is just a waste of brain cells. You'll probably get more bro cred on a gixxer though.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #6
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

I would never buy a used bike from a dealer. I've gotten quoted a 20% interest rate. I took out a personal loan to buy my bike and got a better rate. Not to mention those bikes are worth half of what you'll be paying otd for them.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #7
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Hondas have silky smooth transmissions and are reliable as all hell. But the gixxer has usd forks and better brakes and probably more hp than the honda

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #8
KawiKid860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yep, I know... My only option is to suck it up and finance a dealer bike and end up paying an extra 1-2k in the end or wait until next season, sell my 250 on CL..and try to find a nice deal on there.
Good deals do show up. 09 R6s went for 3.5k or 3k I'm not sure which, either way, last winter. I paid $2200 for my 02 919 with under 11k miles right in the prime of the season, theres an 02 with 53k miles at a dealer and they want 3.8k for it, several on classifieds for the low 3k range, etc. And prices around here are always waaaaay too high for some reason. Beat to crap F4is listed for 4-5k, etc. Maybe just hold out and wait for a good deal, these are 10 year old bikes, unless it's an awesome dealer they probably could care less about their condition and just want your money. A dealer here is trying to sell an 07 CBR1000RR with obviously chinese plastics (look like garbage, Honda would never release something so low quality) for 8k as a "rare color scheme," they all store their used inventory outside and they usually have rusted, gunky chains and are covered in dirt. Dealing with craigslist can be major win or major lose, but I think going through a dealer is no better, if not worse.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #9
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
The squid presence really is strong with gixxers though. I kind of thought it was just a stereotype, squids do ride all bikes, but as I've experienced the "bike scene" more through various social gatherings and media, it honestly holds pretty true. But don't let that stop you from getting one if it's what you end up liking more, there are misconceptions about every group. Worrying about that crap is just a waste of brain cells. You'll probably get more bro cred on a gixxer though.
This.....gsxr's are the go to for squids who know nothing about bikes.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #10
KawiKid860

Wow just actually looked at the prices, that's 07-09 generation sportbike territory. The 07+ 600RRs are some of the best out there.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #11
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Omg you're still such a riding noob.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Yep, I was initially leaning more towards the Honda, for their reliability and styling. I looked at the r6, 636, gsxr and the honda, and have been told gixxers are most comfortable and fast for the street, but the 600RR is just a great all around reliable super sport. I honestly don't care about the squid Gixxer stereotype. It's not what you ride it's how you ride it.. I like the styling of the older Honda's a lot better. I like the newer GSXR's bu. hate the newer Hondas

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #13
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Wow just actually looked at the prices, that's 07-09 generation sportbike territory. The 07+ 600RRs are some of the best out there.
Could get a 1k for that kind of money

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #14
KawiKid860

Have you ridden a supersport before? They get hot. Really hot. Everyone always talks about power and handling and all that stuff, but nobody ever mentions how damn hot they get, especially compared to a small bike like the 250. Just thought I'd give you fair warning. If you have indeed gotten some seat time on a SS, then disregard what I said since you probably already know!

On a side note, I really miss my F4i. I'm really enjoying my 919, but it's turning out that I really like high revving engines more and even more of an issue is the seating position. My F4i was sooooo comfy for me. I could go all day no issue. The 919 has me cramped and sore after a couple hours, I don't get it.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #15
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Omg you're still such a riding noob.
I simply can't stick with the 250. I now feel why everyone likes it, it's sooo fun and nimble, but just doesn't have that power.. I think a 600 would be a lot better of a bike, and when it'll only be me and my bike when I go off to college I would appreciate a couple more horses.

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
..........If you had a choice between the two which one would you go for?
Without blinking, being both in comparable conditions, Honda CBR 600 would be my choice:

http://www.sportrider.com/honda-cbr6...ght-smack-down

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #17
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Have you ridden a supersport before? They get hot. Really hot. Everyone always talks about power and handling and all that stuff, but nobody ever mentions how damn hot they get, especially compared to a small bike like the 250. Just thought I'd give you fair warning. If you have indeed gotten some seat time on a SS, then disregard what I said since you probably already know!

On a side note, I really miss my F4i. I'm really enjoying my 919, but it's turning out that I really like high revving engines more and even more of an issue is the seating position. My F4i was sooooo comfy for me. I could go all day no issue. The 919 has me cramped and sore after a couple hours, I don't get it.
Nope, never have been on a super sport. I don't have any way to try one out. Would be cool if dealers did test rides on bikes.

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #18
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nope, never have been on a super sport. I don't have any way to try one out. Would be cool if dealers did test rides on bikes.
Hot, uncomfortable and a lot of vibration. Its exactly that, a super sport. A race bike. After riding my zx6r for 4 years, my girlfriends 250 is a relief.

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #19
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

In all honesty you could get a brand new fz-07 for around the same price as those bikes.

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #20
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
In all honesty you could get a brand new fz-07 for around the same price as those bikes.
I just can't see myself riding a cruiser bike. I hate the seat position and the looks of them.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #21
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I just can't see myself riding a cruiser bike. I hate the seating position and the looks of them.
Lol thats not a cruiser bike. Its a naked sportbike. Your back arms and wrists will thank you. 600's dont have any usable numbers until around 8000rpm. A torquey bike will keep you plenty happy

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #22
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Lol thats not a cruiser bike. Its a naked sportbike. Your back arms and wrists will thank you. 600's dont have any usable numbers until around 8000rpm. A torquey bike will keep you plenty happy
Haha it looks like a cruiser, has a similar seating position for that matter. I hateeee it. I would rather have a sore back than to be sitting like I'm straight up in a chair while riding.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #23
Brian
ninjette.org sage

I'm really not too fond of the looks of them.

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #24
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

I guess everyone needs the t-shirt. But do yourself a favor and tell that dealer to kick rocks. Buy a 07+ cbr600rr and live the rest of your life knowing that dealership didnt get one over on u

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #25
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Dont forget insurance rates. Financing a bike means u need full coverage and when I was in that 18-24 bracket they wanted 2500 a year

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #26
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Dont forget insurance rates. Financing a bike means u need full coverage and when I was in that 18-24 bracket they wanted 2500 a year
Yep, Insurance will suck a lot.. 18 with a 600 in a crowded city.

The Honda seems like the better buy.

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #27
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.......... I don't have any way to try one out............
Input your body dimensions here:
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Select both bikes, place the cursor on the picture and roll the wheel of your mouse.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #28
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Use your body dimensions here:
http://cycle-ergo.com/
Wow, that's awesome.

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #29
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Those prices are a joke, right?

You would get gouged that much just to ride now?

If your choices are one of those or wait until next season then I would freakin' wait. Nobody should charge that much for an '04.
CVMA #531

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #30
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Confused how college and more power are related variables?

also confused how with less than a season riding, no experience on a larger bike, and no time for riding (you'll be at college, your job is to do school things, not ride), buying a more powerful, expensive, costly to insure motorcycle at this point in time is a good idea?

I'm all ears. Or... eyes... as it were.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #31
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Those prices are a joke, right?

You would get gouged that much just to ride now?

If your choices are one of those or wait until next season then I would freakin' wait. Nobody should charge that much for an '04.
Buying a bike in Boston sucks. If I can find something in Connecticut or New Hampshire as I did with my 250 it will be plenty cheaper. Here's cbr 600's on CL in my area. Switch it to gallery view:

http://boston.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=cbr+600rr

Here's a great deal. I just wish wish wish I had all the money for it: http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/4563216412.html

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #32
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Quote:

also confused how with less than a season riding, no experience on a larger bike, and no time for riding (you'll be at college, your job is to do school things, not ride), buying a more powerful, expensive, costly to insure motorcycle at this point in time is a good idea?

^^^^^^^^

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #33
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

I personally don't think a 250cc bike is sufficient enough... and it's crazy I'm saying that on this forum, but it's always screaming on any gear I'm in just to move it up to speed, so I'm constantly shifting where I don't feel I should be. 1st-2nd gear on the 250 is a huge joke. Unless it's in 8-9k RPM, in those gears I'm only going around 25mph... The only comfortable speed on this bike is 4-5 gear and that's outrageous to me, again I haven't ridden anything more powerful than the 250 so I don't know what to expect, just sharing my experiences with it.

I would love a bigger, heavier bike with wider tires that I can actually feel planted on the ground and the 600 is what I would stay with forever, I hope it will be the perfect sized street bike and there are many that agree.

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #34
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

600 is a track bike that has lights on it. Not designed, intended, or effective for street use. Its at home on the track. A supersport is like a panting dog locked in a hot car in traffic and street scenarios

Old July 12th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #35
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
you do know there are a lot of bikes out there that are not SS right? If you want more power and that is really all, there are other options that might make more sense.

Quote:
I personally don't think a 250cc bike is sufficient enough... and it's crazy I'm saying that on this forum, but it's always screaming on any gear I'm in just to move it up to speed, so I'm constantly shifting where I don't feel I should be. 1st-2nd gear on the 250 is a huge joke. Unless it's in 8-9k RPM, in those gears I'm only going around 25mph... The only comfortable speed on this bike is 4-5 gear and that's outrageous to me, again I haven't ridden anything more powerful than the 250 so I don't know what to expect, just sharing my experiences with it.

I would love a bigger, heavier bike with wider tires that I can actually feel planted on the ground and the 600 is what I would stay with forever, I hope it will be the perfect sized street bike and there are many that agree.
It's no secret the 250 is a little light in power, but i tend to find it fairly sufficient for anything legal and most things illegal.
I still don't and probably never will get why people complain about having to run it in the higher rev range that's what it's supposed to do, if you want low revs get a different bike designed to more low end grunt. <---SS would not fall into this category

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old July 12th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You know it's likely to get damaged over on a college campus, right? Drunk college students and motorcycles are like magnets. Someone always has the brilliant idea, "hey it would be so cool to kick over that motorcycle herp derp stumble stumble". People are jerks. Drunk people are jackasses.

3 of the 4 guys I know who've had a bike on campus or in town have come out to their babies on the ground. The one guy was smart and kept his in the shed behind his rental house.

Old July 12th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #37
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You know it's likely to get damaged over on a college campus, right? Drunk college students and motorcycles are like magnets. Someone always has the brilliant idea, "hey it would be so cool to kick over that motorcycle herp derp stumble stumble". People are jerks. Drunk people are jackasses.

3 of the 4 guys I know who've had a bike on campus or in town have come out to their babies on the ground. The one guy was smart and kept his in the shed behind his rental house.

I've had a drunk ass "lemme sit on your bike" knocks my new $500 helmet on the concrete -___-

Old July 12th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #38
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Ehh, that's bound to happen in any situation.. Luckily I won't be in a traditional campus. If I ever found anyone touching my bike their face would be touching my fists.

Old July 12th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #39
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
big talk from the boy who thinks 4th gear is too high.

what campus?

Old July 12th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #40
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
what campus?
SCF in the Bradenton & Sarasota, FL area. I went to visit a few months ago, wish I had my bike with me, the area is great.

Closed Thread