ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Old February 10th, 2023, 12:30 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Email blacklist (dammit all to hell!)

Much of the automated mail ninjette.org sends out just started getting blocked as of yesterday. This is due to the particular network block of the provider we use being identified as allowing too much spam. It has nothing to do with ninjette.org, and even has nothing to do with our particular server / IP space, which is shared with a number of other resources. We show clean on every other site - except for one called uceprotect.net, evidently in Switzerland, that is a bit more heavy-handed about flagging entire providers. The fix for it is that they charge 25 CHF (approximately $28) per month to whitelist the IP so mail can still get through. I'm not paying $360 a year to these idiots, and I don't have the time or energy right now to migrate to another provider. I'm hoping this may resolve itself, but I'm not able to guess the likelihood.

In the meantime, this means many/most users can't sign up for the site, can't get notifications for any threads or PMs, or anything other functionality that relies on an email being sent out, if they are using a mail provider that subscribes to these blocklists (and almost all major ones do).

blocklist.jpg

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2023, 04:37 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2023, 05:17 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I've had this happen to the mail system for my company, and it took a while but is mostly OK now. I had to use Gmail's SMTP server during the problem. I chose that one since it's free and open to anyone, apparently. The only oddity was that my mail from mydomain.net was delivered as mydomain.net@gmail.com None of my customers seemed to notice or care.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2023, 10:43 PM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Wow, that stinks. I hope it clears itself up.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2023, 10:55 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I've had this happen to the mail system for my company, and it took a while but is mostly OK now. I had to use Gmail's SMTP server during the problem. I chose that one since it's free and open to anyone, apparently. The only oddity was that my mail from mydomain.net was delivered as mydomain.net@gmail.com None of my customers seemed to notice or care.
Right - I use a variety of different mailservers for different purposes. Most of them will work fine (and relatively cheaply/easily) with low volumes, including gmail. But with automated emails from a forum, the email volume very quickly can rise to a level where the email services want to charge a few hundred $ per month. Think about a long thread like the Word threads; every time there is a post it has to send out dozens or even hundreds of notification emails if posters in that thread have subscribe turned on (and all do here as default to start). Last I looked into it, most forum sites at scale run their own email service for that reason.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 11th, 2023, 12:15 PM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Hopefully this isn't very widely used. Not that I send much email, but my host is similarly listed in their Level 3 blacklist (my subnet is clean, but other blocks owned by the ISP have spam activity on them), and I wasn't even aware of it. I have a daily RBL check against my IP, and this has never shown up on it. I host email for my family members and haven't heard any complaints, so it's a little more traffic than just what I personally send.

They even say that you shouldn't block based on the Level 3 list (just use it as part of something like SpamAssassin to increase its spam score).
Quote:
Use of Level 3 for blocking is recommended only if you are a HARDLINER and you want to cause service providers and carriers that have spammer / abusive clients to be quickly and effectively blocked and it does not matter to you if regular email is also occasionally rejected.
Their Level 3 list is designed specifically to cause collateral damage to pressure ISPs into fixing problems elsewhere in their network. OVH has almost 4.3 million IPs (about .1% of the entire IPv4 space), which are all getting put on this blacklist. For comparison, their Level 1 is generally single IPs that have actually sent spam, though even that has some exceptions for other non-spam "bad behavior".

They do have cheaper 1- ($76) and 2-year ($98) whitelisting plans available, but I'm also in favor of not giving these people any money. But if it comes down to absolutely needing to do it, at least it's not quite so costly.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2023, 01:35 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Think about a long thread like the Word threads; every time there is a post it has to send out dozens or even hundreds of notification emails if posters in that thread have subscribe turned on (and all do here as default to start).
Does anyone really want email notifications? I always make sure I have that turned off on all the forums I visit. I'd have to be pretty uninterested in a forum to check it so little that I need a email notification when someone replies to a thread.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2023, 04:46 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Does anyone really want email notifications? I always make sure I have that turned off on all the forums I visit. I'd have to be pretty uninterested in a forum to check it so little that I need a email notification when someone replies to a thread.
Everyone certainly has their own preferences - but you may be incorrect in terms of what others might choose. When I was first building this community 15 years ago, enabling the email notifications provided a tangible feedback loop to get new registrants a positive, interactive introduction to the site. Sign up? Get a welcome email. Post something in the newbie section? Have a personalized automated welcome message, that then also shows up in your email box. It really helped drive a ton of activity. To this day, the vast majority of accounts have notifications turned on. Anyone who doesn't want them, can easily turn them off, so it's not terribly intrusive.

But while post/thread notifications are nice-to-haves, getting emails through for registration, password changes, etc. are a base requirement for functioning forum - email pretty much has to work.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 13th, 2023, 02:02 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

ninjette.org is still showing up on that blacklist (along with all of the rest of millions of OVH addresses), but it does look like other mail servers are now just ignoring it and the mail is going through same as before.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.