ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 17th, 2018, 06:45 AM   #81
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextbesthing View Post
So when my girlfriend asks why I have a bottle of KY jelly in my tool box I'm coming to you for backup.
If you are keeping it in your toolbox you are doing it wrong...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2018, 02:33 PM   #82
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeloo Yello View Post
I went cheap and am ordering 4 gaskets for $6 from ali. Just gotta wait another 20 days or so to see if worth it
Just an update got my gaskets in from china, took 18 days.

Old September 14th, 2018, 02:42 PM   #83
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 95 ninja 250, 08 KLR 650

Ok, I've looked but I'm tapping out, where is my headlight relay? Is it my cdi?
Nextbesthing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2018, 05:54 PM   #84
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
No CDI, but igntion-box isn't headlight relay. Just trace wires from headlight-socket. A lot of times, there's broken/shorted wiring
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #85
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

I'm having a vacuum leak issue. At least I think it's a vacuum problem. Revs don't return to idle after you touch the throttle. My airbox seems like it has a loose connection to the carb. Carb seems to be cleaned, this is my third carb cleaning ever so it could be operator error, but carb cleaner flows through all the passages, all holes on my jets are clear of blockages... air fuel mix is still stock. Diaphragms seem to me to rise and fall easy enough, I did put a washer on the needles as referenced in the faq. Stronger hose clamps for the intake? New airbox? I am somewhat at a loss.

Old January 8th, 2019, 03:00 PM   #86
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Did you use soak carbs in caustic radioactive solvents?
Did you use ultrasonic cleaner for several weeks?
Did you floss out all passages with expanding wire?
Did you soda-blast using 10000psi?

If not, your carbs aren't "clean".
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2019, 05:29 PM   #87
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I'm having a vacuum leak issue. At least I think it's a vacuum problem. Revs don't return to idle after you touch the throttle. My airbox seems like it has a loose connection to the carb. Carb seems to be cleaned, this is my third carb cleaning ever so it could be operator error, but carb cleaner flows through all the passages, all holes on my jets are clear of blockages... air fuel mix is still stock. Diaphragms seem to me to rise and fall easy enough, I did put a washer on the needles as referenced in the faq. Stronger hose clamps for the intake? New airbox? I am somewhat at a loss.
That won't give you a vacuum leak, just suck in unfiltered air.

Adjust the Idle Mixture screws to the optimum setting - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...dle_mixture%3F

Check for vacuum leaks at the clamps between the carbs and engine with carb cleaner or similar spray. Listen for a change in RPMs.

The diaphragms need to be looked at carefully for holes or tears. The slides should rise and fall smoothly and evenly.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2019, 07:02 AM   #88
Guaire
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2005 EX250, 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT

Quote:
Ok, I've looked but I'm tapping out, where is my headlight relay? Is it my cdi?
The headlight relay is a solid state unit inside the fuse box. It’s shown that way on the schematic. There is an external relay attached by the fuse box, but it’s the turn signal relay.
Guaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2019, 07:37 AM   #89
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
That won't give you a vacuum leak, just suck in unfiltered air.

Adjust the Idle Mixture screws to the optimum setting - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...dle_mixture%3F

Check for vacuum leaks at the clamps between the carbs and engine with carb cleaner or similar spray. Listen for a change in RPMs.

The diaphragms need to be looked at carefully for holes or tears. The slides should rise and fall smoothly and evenly.
I'll just work on it a bit more. Thanks for the input.
Headlight issue is fixed thanks.

Last futzed with by Nextbesthing; January 15th, 2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Double post

Old January 29th, 2020, 09:05 PM   #90
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Second wind

Time to dredge up my old post. So I sold one of the ninjas (02) from the original purchase and made a couple hundred on the sale. With that, I feel completely justified in spending too much on the 95 to refurb it now that it runs well. I bought some lime green raptor liner to cover the destroyed plastic welded fairings(it was an MSF training bike), purple vinyl for the seat cover to match the purple wheels, new windshield, new mirrors with turn signals integrated, and bar ends, along with a new tail bag. As far as performance upgrades I got the racetech kit for the front forks, valve emulators and .70 springs, fork seals and motul expert medium weight oil for a touch more dampening and I got a few different sprocket options to play around with along with a couple of x ring chains of varying lengths, I also picked up some new rubber for the spare set of wheels. I opted to buy the dreaded 39 tooth rear only because I want to see for myself if the sacrifice in acceleration was worth the top end gain and it was cheap, I also got a 15t front, fresh 45t and 42t rear. I have decided to try and block off the old turn signal cutouts with some abs plastic stock leftover from deer hunting season on my cbr. I cut them to fit and hopefully with some cement and a touch of bondo I am thinking it will look seamless. Overall I'm in a little over $600. I was debating getting a little powdercoating done on some things like the swingarm, lower fork legs, extra wheels and levers to try and keep the lime green/ purple motif but that might be overkill. If I'm into this bike for around 700 I can live with that for now.
Just wanted to update anyone interested. I also have one question. What do you run in your ultrasonic cleaners for just mild surface rust and dirt/staining? I have a ton of bolts, levers, and misc parts that could use a freshening up.