ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #1
GiGs
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Spark Plug Colour OK ?

Judging this picture:

Would you say the tune is correct ?

NOTE: this is after 4km run around the streets, WOT every gear almost to redline - I have looked at the dansmc spark plug chart.

112 FP Main, 40 pilot, 4th notch on needle, mixture screws (precisely) 2 turns out.

Previously on the 3rd notch the plugs had a slight white colour (to lean), mixture screw (precisely) 2.5 turns out is too rich...prior on the 3rd notch you could *just* tell when the main jet kicked in > now it just pulls ALL the way to redline.

Mods: Full Yoshimura, K&N Air Filter, Clean Air System Removed, Air-box removed...etc

Last futzed with by GiGs; October 3rd, 2010 at 06:55 AM.
GiGs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM   #2
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Your picture won't open, when I hit the link.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #3
GiGs
ninjette.org member

Sorry about that, corrected the original post...link is:

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #4
kkim

way too rich.

I'm assuming that's a brand new plug?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM   #5
GiGs
ninjette.org member

Correct, new plug...I had a feeling someone was going to say that

BTW...the tip of that plug you are looking at has nothing on it (as in when I wiped it with my finger and cleaned it very lightly with 2000 grit sandpaper they looked the same). I'm guessing your basing that on the dark black ring though...

I was thinking about the test run and how it rode more in depth, it actually felt a bit better when it was leaner...so...

If 3rd notch is to lean (tip of plugs were slightly white after 150KM of riding) and 4th notch is to rich, then that means I have to use the 3rd notch with some washers (correct ?).

Mixture screws wouldn't really affect this too much correct ? (currently set at precisely 2 turns out and when I blip the throttle it goes back to the same rpm). I have a feeling someones going to say main jets too big, but I can't (and don't want to) use the 110 since I messed it up a tiny bit with a screwdriver (don't worry this one is perfect, lesson learnt).

Appreciate the feedback guys

Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM   #6
kkim

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...ng#Carb_Tuning

no way around it... you start with selecting the mains and work your way down. if nothing else, you can always grab the main jets with a pair of pliers to get them off. be very picky about the screwdrivers you use to remove those jets. They are an odd size and I usually have to go through my selection of screwdrivers to find one that fits just right.

sorry for the blurry photo.

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #7
GiGs
ninjette.org member

Massive edit:

Wait, the main jet affects 7k rpm > ... the mid-range or idle mixture must have been too rich ... I did not pull and clean the plugs from the 2.5 turns out test. If my main jet was to large, the tip would be black and if the main jet was to small the tip would be white. In fact one could go so far as to say the main jet is to small ?

I say tip because I rode WOT, back to first engine braking, then first gear WOT then into the drive way, 5 seconds and engine off. When I wiped the black ring off with my finger it came off easy, when i wiped the tip of my spark plug with my finger nothing came off (even with a clean white cotton tip and some methylated spirits)

In-conclusive...I shall put it back to the 3rd notch and try 1 washer.

Could badly synced carbs be the problem ??? I tuned them with my eyes but I really need to hook up the 'rig.

Very in depth detailed explanation of spark plug analysis anyone (i've spent hours looking but i'd like to know even more) ?

cheers

Last futzed with by GiGs; October 4th, 2010 at 06:20 AM.

Old October 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #8
kkim

yes, the main can/will affect everything, which is why you start with it and work your way down.

you seem to have your jetting strategy down, so I'll leave you to figure it out.

gl

Old October 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #9
GiGs
ninjette.org member

I was correct...just some advice to people

Upgrading the pilot jet from a 38 to a 40 is a DEFINITE no no, WAY, WAY, WAY to big...you think that plug was black. That was the plug that was pulled from the side that had the tear in the carb holder rubber boot (i.e leaner).

If anythings to show from my recent testing the pilot jet could even possibly go the next size down and still be fine (although it would be cutting it fairly close to lean).

112 Mains, 38 (stock) Pilot, 3rd notch (washers and cir-clip ONTOP to stop any movement/bounce), mixture screws 1.8 turns out.

When the plug was pulled just from a good 5 minutes of idling and revving it (not past 10k) the plug was just a very light golden brown. Mid-range had no pops at 8k like previous set-ups regardless of how long I kept it in the mid-range for held at different rpm's.

This should be perfect once it's on the road and run etc. I might even possibly need to go up a main jet size but I have done no WOT/road tests.

*Note that the plug was previously cleaned perfectly back to shiny silver with sandpaper and methylated spirits.*

keep on tunin' cheers guys

Old October 8th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #10
GiGs
ninjette.org member

As Quagmire (from family guy) says.....alllllllllrighht !

Lookie lookie

Good ?

NOTE: this was after about..5KM round the block at WOT 90% of the time with 2 laps chopping the throttle and trying it from to high a gear all the way to redline of that gear including up a hill.

By the way...where it looks like some parts are shady/black/white this is due to bad lighting AND previous sanding marks. The overall colour is a light golden brown and actually compared to the stock bike and plugs that were in it look even better (less richer).