Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:35 PM   #41
sandman889
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlein3004 View Post
While the 120/150 set up does allow for better tire options, the 150 tends to be slightly pinched on the wheel, and changes the flick ability of the bike, which is one of the benefits I this awesome little machine. The 120/110 debate is one that could go either way. The 120 size allows for race DOT tired to be used. You will never reach the edge of these tires prior to scraping hard parts. Also it raised the front end ever so slightly so changing the geometry of the bike back down is another thing with the 120. The front end grip for these bikes is all that really matters, and you will not break loose the rear because of acceleration with a supersport tire. In saying that, a lot f the fast guys run the sc1/Rosso I I (110/140) set up because it's the best of both worlds. DOT tire up front with a 110, and a ss tire in the rear on a 140 which isn't pinched at all. The other option seems to be the unbeaten setup with a 110/150 setup both DOT race tires. This 150 was specifically designed for the 250 and allows the bike to remain flick able. But people seem to replace the 110 front of the unbeatens with a 120 GPA because of the outright grip. There are trade offs of both, and the Pirelli setup seems to be the choice of most, but the bridgestones and the dunlops win races also. It's a trade off for the tire sizes an what you can afford and how you want the bike to act.
Thanks for all the great info. Switching to a ninja 250 I thought I would have less tire options/choices but seems thats not true. Gives me something to think about.
CRA#889E 2013 Ninja 250 Champion
sandman889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #42
shane liberty
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Lots of personal preferences with tire choices. Really you can go fast on any of the race tires if you setup your geometry and suspension well to work with the tire you've chosen.

I like the Bridgestone 125GP tires. It's a 90 front and 120 rear. They give more grip than I've ever needed. Here's a front tire pic from my bike from this weekend racing CVMA. You can literally run the thing on the sidewall and it still has grip.

shane liberty is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 24th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #43
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ amazing lol
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #44
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

I've been experiencing with different tires as well, and I went too big on the rear with my last set,I did an SC2 160 "Thunderbolt", Tige from Cyclemall says there's no way I will use 1/2 of the tire because its too "crowned" when squeezed on a 4" rim, and I wouldn't have any grip.
Right after he told me that, I jumped into my last race of the weekend and dropped 2 seconds off my PR. . . I'm guessing it'll work till it doesn't but I only tried the Bstone slicks once before going to the Pirelli's, and remember them being awful sticky and twitchy, but that was my first experience going from a 160 HP bike to a 35 HP bike, so what did I know?

Anyone care to admit what they're paying Matty for a set of stone slicks @ Chucky? pm is fine too. .

Thanx,
Joel
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #45
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

One day I may revisit the Bridgestones since my talent level then when I first had them was completely different than where I am now. I just still can't get over even when I was much slower how short the slicks lasted.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #46
shane liberty
ninjette.org member

I pay $270 for a set of Bridgestone Slicks. They were $260 a set last year. They pay $150 for a 1st, $100 for 2nd and $75 for a 3rd each race in the smaller classes. They pay more in the SV classes and even more in the middleweight/open

Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:37 AM   #47
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane liberty View Post
I pay $270 for a set of Bridgestone Slicks. They were $260 a set last year. They pay $150 for a 1st, $100 for 2nd and $75 for a 3rd each race in the smaller classes. They pay more in the SV classes and even more in the middleweight/open
I know alot of guys in other classes that run stones for the contingency payout; they seem pretty good about that. Too bad they don't have back marker contingency lol
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:09 AM   #48
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

How many track days do you guys get out of a Supercorsa SC1?
MirinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:49 AM   #49
shane liberty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I know alot of guys in other classes that run stones for the contingency payout; they seem pretty good about that. Too bad they don't have back marker contingency lol
I don't have that problem since I get podiums.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:32 AM   #50
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirinNinja View Post
How many track days do you guys get out of a Supercorsa SC1?
Draik gets the equivalent of about 5-6 full days, running hard. That's on the rear...front, still looks new after ~4 days worth.