ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 28th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #1
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Parking signs- Help is on its way

I thought the UK had "entrapment by obfuscation" bad but many of these US signs are tricky to decipher standing next to never mind driving past on a rainy day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-maga...nitor-29623541
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #2
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Oh man, that suggested change is awesome. So much easier to understand.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
Oh man, that suggested change is awesome. So much easier to understand.
#1: it can't be read from your vehicle
#2: it doesn't work so well for red/green color-blind people like me

There's a reason signage and such has to go through regulatory approval.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

I agree It is as bad as the original problem. But at least someone recognises that there is a problem.

My solution is to simplify all parking zones to four criteria (which most of them are anyway) and just use four coloured squares, one foot across , Red, blue, yellow, green.
For the colour blind lets add 4 basic line patterns to each colour horizontal, vertical, diagonal and cross.
Howzatt?
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
is it really that hard to read a couple signs when you want to park somewhere new? i always thought people who said they couldn't understand parking signs were using it as an excuse for the meter maid...

Old October 28th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
I agree It is as bad as the original problem. But at least someone recognises that there is a problem.

My solution is to simplify all parking zones to four criteria (which most of them are anyway) and just use four coloured squares, one foot across , Red, blue, yellow, green.
For the colour blind lets add 4 basic line patterns to each colour horizontal, vertical, diagonal and cross.
Howzatt?
we have colored curbs already. red means no parking, emergency vehicles only. white is loading and unloading. yellow is temporary stopping only. no curb color means follow any signage. blue is handicapped. green is special parking zone with specific limits.

they also all use different shadings to make it easier to distinguish when colorblind. at least, i don't have too much trouble telling them apart. they usually are also accompanied by a sign.

the problem comes in to play with all of the "this rule during this time" issue because of schools or commute traffic... nobody wants to represent times with colors. it doesn't make sense to most people since it's not a common thing to do.

Old October 28th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
obfuscation
Wait a minute, let me look that up.....

Oh, okay.