ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

View Poll Results: Do you wear earplugs when you ride?
On every ride 89 32.84%
On most rides 57 21.03%
Only on long trips 43 15.87%
Never 65 23.99%
What? 17 6.27%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 24th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #241
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
Surefire makes an earplug set that works great and is comfortable at the same time:

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders
After see this post I had a look at the website, and ordered a pair... I wasn't using ear plugs before (only had the bike for about 3 weeks, only been out on it like less than 4 time) went for a ride last nite and used a pair of foam ear plugs I got in bulk from Home Depot... It did seem to make the riding experience more enjoyable.... and I did notice a big decrease in hearing wind noise in my helmet.

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #242
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibunkid.206 View Post
After see this post I had a look at the website, and ordered a pair... I wasn't using ear plugs before (only had the bike for about 3 weeks, only been out on it like less than 4 time) went for a ride last nite and used a pair of foam ear plugs I got in bulk from Home Depot... It did seem to make the riding experience more enjoyable.... and I did notice a big decrease in hearing wind noise in my helmet.
This especially holds true when you're doing a long distance trek on the highway
Jerkson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #243
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

just ran across this here on our site. Links appropriate for this thread. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=186

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #244
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
The extended portion that goes into the ear canal is kind of off-putting.
What do you mean? how else would you get a good seal?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #245
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
What do you mean? how else would you get a good seal?
I should rephrase what I said. Obviously something would have to block the canal to cancel out the noise, but those look like they go really deep into there, which isn't particularly good for your hearing either. Obviously I haven't worn them so I can't say for sure which is why I'm wondering how far they go from people who have used them.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #246
Buffalony

Quote:
Those look fancy. Let us know how well they work.

Old June 29th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #247
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
I'll do that... they're suppose to arrive in the mail today

Old June 29th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #248
Buffalony

Quote:
I'll do that... they're suppose to arrive in the mail today
Sweet. I like how they have those little plugs in them. Ear plugs with plugs!!! Or earplugs you can operate. haha

Old June 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #249
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I use these. LG HBS-700s

They are blue-toothed to my phone and fit under my helmet great while still getting rid of the wires. they also make the controls easy to and use even with gloves.

I know awesome headphones still are not ear plugs but I like to think of it as a theme song for my 250. . .
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #250
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
I use these. LG HBS-700s

They are blue-toothed to my phone and fit under my helmet great while still getting rid of the wires. they also make the controls easy to and use even with gloves.

I know awesome headphones still are not ear plugs but I like to think of it as a theme song for my 250. . .
That's pretty cool. If the headphones isolate from outside noise as well as earplugs then i'm all for it. That's why i use my ER-6's all the time. Music and noise isolation. Perfect combo.

Old July 1st, 2011, 04:28 AM   #251
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Either I use

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...d_sim_sbs_hi_3

or

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-.../dp/B0007XJOLG

or

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea.../dp/B000XP8DJC

And here's my experience with each.

I haven't been riding too long however, I've been using IEMs and earplugs for quite a while now, IEMs have made public transportation not only bearable, but actually enjoyable for me, I actually got the Etymotic Hf5's before getting my ninja, but I've found that they are perfect for riding too(If your state laws permit earbud usage while riding that is ).

The Howard Leight MAX's provide the best plain isolation compared to the Laser Leight ones, however I find that comfort wise the Laser Leight's win out, depending on my average speed(interstate or not), and how long the trip is, I seem to reach for the Laser Leights only if it's an all day ride.

The Hf5s actually come with a silicone tri-phalanged tip that does a very impressive noise isolation job that even blocks wind noise at high speeds, so even with the music off these guys work pretty well as earplugs, and I find them the fastest to put in so when I'm in a rush I usually stick these guys in(though I have to manage the cords in the process). On long rides with zero traffic I turn these guys on(probably not the best idea, but there are just sometimes interstate rides with zero traffic can get a tad boring). Sound wise, they don't have any artificial bass boost and you can definitely tell, at first it was weird but I've grown to actually enjoy their sound compared to my old bass boosting IEMs. Sound while riding is actually pretty amazing even when flying down the interstate. There are actually foam tips that come with the set that work better for isolation, however I choose to usually go for the tri-phalanged ones because they're easy to get in and out and do a good job(also don't require frequent replacement).
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2011, 09:33 PM   #252
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Finally had a chance to go for a short ride tonight and got to try out the EarPro EP3 ear plugs....

The ear plugs are pretty comfortable, and color coded for the left and right ear... I'll have to do a comparison test between the EP3's and the run of the mill Home Depot foam ear plugs I was using...

I got the EP3 in a medium size, but after using them I think a large may be a better fit for my ear canal size... the final price including shipping was a little under $21.00

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM   #253
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I finally got a pair of EP3s yesterday from a friend at work. They were comfortable around the house for the short time I tried them last night. I'll try them on a ride soon and see what they offer. I have no comparison since I never rode with ear plugs before.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #254
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I've been riding with the Medium sized Surefire EP3's for months now. Best thing I ever bought.

Much better than simply cranking up my in-helmet speakers so cancel out the wind noise I did for a year.

I have a slight tinnitus in my right ear, now. Don't **** around with your hearing.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:11 PM   #255
kkim

Quote:
Don't **** around with your hearing.
which should be the message members should be taking away from this thread.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM   #256
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've been riding with the Medium sized Surefire EP3's for months now. Best thing I ever bought.

Much better than simply cranking up my in-helmet speakers so cancel out the wind noise I did for a year.

I have a slight tinnitus in my right ear, now. Don't **** around with your hearing.
I ended up purchasing another set of the EP3 in a large, the mediums fit ok, but I think the fit could be snugger.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:05 PM   #257
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Ichi, if they are lightly used and well cleaned perhaps I could take those off your hands?
I got smaller sized ear canals :P
I just recently started experiencing light pain in my ears on and off. Im pretty sure its from wind noise.
I was gonna just get some cheap plugs but these seem like a better idea.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #258
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

How well do these work compared to higher NNR rated foam plugs? These are only 24NNR - I have seen foam that claim 32 NNR.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM   #259
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
How well do these work compared to higher NNR rated foam plugs? These are only 24NNR - I have seen foam that claim 32 NNR.
I just bought a large EP4 and while it does attenuate some noise. Without the plugs in them, it is not nearly enough. With the plugs in, I'm not sure yet. If i get around to it, i'll try and let you know if it's good enough. Honestly though, I've been using the heero brand disposable earplugs that are rated at 32db or so and I think that level of noise attenuation is perfect so any less I'm usually not as happy.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM   #260
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfh4xx View Post
I just recently started experiencing light pain in my ears on and off.
I'm no doctor but that's not a good sign. You might have already experienced some irreversible hearing damage. Go do your ears a favour and buy some cheap ear plugs from your local pharmacy before you hop on the bike again.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #261
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfh4xx View Post
Ichi, if they are lightly used and well cleaned perhaps I could take those off your hands?
I got smaller sized ear canals :P
I just recently started experiencing light pain in my ears on and off. Im pretty sure its from wind noise.
I was gonna just get some cheap plugs but these seem like a better idea.
I'll PM you

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #262
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

i bought some Hearos from Walgreen, work wonder, however i feel disconnected since it's so quiet inside helmet, i wear them depending on my mood, lol
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #263
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVBS View Post
i bought some Hearos from Walgreen, work wonder, however i feel disconnected since it's so quiet inside helmet, i wear them depending on my mood, lol
I've tried the chepo foam earplugs. They're really good, but they left me feeling unattached from the motorcycle experience as well as "sounding weird" if that makes sense. Like I had a head cold or something.

The Surefire EarPros are comfortable, reusable/washable, easy to put in (I hated rolling the foam plugs) and not too silencing. You may be able to get them cheap off of eBay.

ETA: I leave the plug in on the EarPros, btw.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #264
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVBS View Post
Honestly, you get used to the disconnected feel very quickly. The more you use them, the better your ears acclimate to the silence and you'll slowly start to hear more and more detail. I can now have a conversation with the hearos foam earplugs even at 32db attenuation. I ride and wear earplugs practically 6 days a week so my ears got used to it quick.

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #265
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Honestly, you get used to the disconnected feel very quickly. The more you use them, the better your ears acclimate to the silence and you'll slowly start to hear more and more detail. I can now have a conversation with the hearos foam earplugs even at 32db attenuation. I ride and wear earplugs practically 6 days a week so my ears got used to it quick.
This is right. your ears will get aclimated to them quickly.
I worked 80+hr work weeks in a loud flour mill for five yrs with very insignificant hearing loss because of always wearing my ear protection. Someone not used to earplugs will get used to them. When I first started wearing them I always noticed them because I always thought about them being there. I noticed as time passed it came to a point where I would forget about them right after I put them in. You get used to hearing with them in your ears and not yelling when you talk to people too

Putting them in your ears in the first place has to become habit. Dont wear really dirty earplugs.

Old July 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #266
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Just did a pretty long ride with the surefire ep3 plugs, and they keep wind noise down pretty well with the plugs in, plugs out I don't think they will help much. Sometimes I had the seal kind of pop off, but other than that they keep the noise down while also letting in some surrounding noise that isn't too loud. Foam earplugs seem to keep out more noise but I think these are pretty good.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #267
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Sooo while reading I noticed some people use earphones for music and what not. I'm not sure if its been answered or not, and I too have asked about earphones before because I do want them. But I was wondering in terms of the law. Is it legal to be riding while listening to music? I know if your in your car and have earphones in ur ears it I illegal, but what about on motorcycles?
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #268
dubojr1

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Sooo while reading I noticed some people use earphones for music and what not. I'm not sure if its been answered or not, and I too have asked about earphones before because I do want them. But I was wondering in terms of the law. Is it legal to be riding while listening to music? I know if your in your car and have earphones in ur ears it I illegal, but what about on motorcycles?
Pretty sure (at least here in Florida) it is illegal to have anything in your ears that would prevent you from hearing emergency vehicles. Ear plugs are not included because they don't interfere with hearing anything, that just reduce the volume. I can look for the Florida statue if you like. I'm sure I haven't quoted it perfect but I'm confident I'm pretty close.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #269
dubojr1

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

BTW... Here's the best deal I could find on the earplugs I like. For 200 pair of these shipped to my door will have only cost me just over $.09 per pair!

http://www.tooldex.com/product/3MO-1...Foam-Earplugs/

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #270
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
BTW... Here's the best deal I could find on the earplugs I like. For 200 pair of these shipped to my door will have only cost me just over $.09 per pair!

Coolio thanks. I've tried the CVS brand and then the Hearos brand. I really like the foam used in the Hearos brand... it squishes better and stays stiff enough so i can put it in my ears without it flexing.

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #271
Buffalony

Quote:

That was a bit of overkill considering you may find yourself cutting them in halves. You'll have 400 pair. lol Good you bought some. I really enjoy riding with earplugs.

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #272
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Pretty sure (at least here in Florida) it is illegal to have anything in your ears that would prevent you from hearing emergency vehicles. Ear plugs are not included because they don't interfere with hearing anything, that just reduce the volume. I can look for the Florida statue if you like. I'm sure I haven't quoted it perfect but I'm confident I'm pretty close.
Thanks. Thats what I figured x-( I think I'll just end up getting earplugs.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #273
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
so i had tried some silicone moldable ear plugs from CVS... i don't think they were the same material as the fancier ones they sell at the tracks or moto expos ... the material kinda sucked and fell apart after about a week. decided i didn't like them so i recently (2 weeks ago?) switched to some reusable earplugs i found at home depot meant for builders and WOW. these are SWEET. don't feel them when they're in and work as well as any other good plug. they don't slip out like my old cheaper disposable plugs would mid-ride. they've got cords so removing them even with the helmet still on takes all of a quarter second. they seem extremely durable and respond well to being washed. i'm sold. i think i'll be using these for some time to come. will post back when they finally break or something.

Old July 16th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #274
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Just decided to get some ear plugs myself!

I'm actually a big hearing nut - I own a decibel meter, and always wear over the ear hearing protection when mowing the lawn, using power tools, etc.

You'll note I said over the ear; I've always hated the foam in-ear plugs. Well, I'm going to tough it up and get over it. I'm riding faster now, and yesterday my ears were genuinely hurting during a 2 hour 50-70 mph ride. It was really distracting and unpleasant. How anyone can do that on a regular basis without plugs is beyond me.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #275
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF View Post
It was really distracting and unpleasant. How anyone can do that on a regular basis without plugs is beyond me.
Lets not go there.

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #276
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

I went to go gas real quickly before I started washing my ninjette for the first time today and forgot my ear plugs...bad times
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #277
CNI Dawg
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes

I need to save what little hearing I have left !!!
CMRA #28 - Chaos Racing - Mini Endurance / #74 BBE
CNI Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #278
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes.

I can afford ear plugs. I can not afford to replace my ears.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #279
setasai

Found these recently. Anybody used them? Lots of glowing reviews about them.

http://earplugsonline.com/

Old October 18th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #280
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Could be good but doesn't it worry you that they offer the same plugs for gun use, industrial use and general use? There are very different requirements for different applications. Also, it bugs me that they make very broad assertions with snake-oil salesman style, claiming their product can do everything (*beneficial for humanity*, <highest blocking> *truly magnificent*) without giving any data on db levels blocked, and at what frequencies. What are the ANSI and CSA ratings for use of the plugs? How do the plugs work for motocycle wind noise frequencies, and how does that also work for gun blasts?

Again, they might work great, but I'd avoid these like the plague. I'll go with someone who talks about their research, who posts information about db levels and frequencies, who shows some recognition of the different needs of different users, and who knows that there are detailed standards (ANSI, CSA) on ear plugs and understands how their product fits into those standards. Any snake oil salesman can get good testimonials - sell 100 of anything and you can find someone who says it worked ("I can walk again!").

Look at the 3M or Moldex websites in comparison, and you'll see a very different focus that gives me a higher level of confidence in the product. I've attached a tech sheet on a pair of Moldex reusables for comparison.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rockets-oct23.pdf (1.40 MB, 6 views)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote