ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Mechanic Ethics

So I dropped my car off 1 week ago to get a smog check and oil change. It's also been making some odd noises when I steer so I asked my mechanic to find out what was causing the noise. When I called back today to find out if my car was finished (long ass wait for a smog check, oil change, and diagnosing a problem IMO) I find out the bill is over $700. They found a problem with the power steering and decided to make repairs without consulting. That kinda pissed me off... alot.

With my bike mechanic I've never had an issue like this. He has fixed things that I didn't ask him to before but he never charged me for it. If there ever was a different issue that needed to be fixed other than what I brought it in for he would call me and ask me if I wanted him to fix it and let me know what it would cost.

Am I retarded for thinking my car mechanic would do the same thing? Or is he just a huge money grubbing douche bag? And this is a guy I've been going to for years.

There's no doubt in my mind that there was a problem that needed to be fixed but I just can't believe that a mechanic would go and make unauthorized repairs. Oh and the quote that I signed states smog check, oil change, investigate noise from steering. It doesn't say anywhere, "oh and fix **** without calling the customer, he will pay for whatever is needed"
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Call up your attorney again :P
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just got off the phone with the guy and he said it was a hazard and my car was dangerous to drive (as if that excuses his actions) and then states "well I don't know maybe you wanted to drive the car around until it burst into flames so you could collect the insurance money, you never told me to call you to authorize repairs" I couldn't even believe he said that to me, I just said thanks and hung up while he was talking.
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Call up your attorney again :P
pffff lol, as if $700 would be worth the legal fees
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #5
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

They can't just make repairs without your consent. Tell them you want every part they replaced, and you're going to send it for independent testing before paying for repairs or you'll take them to small claims.

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I had already planned to reply with "They probably knew about your settlement" back before there were any replies in this thread. Instead, I finished reading some other tabs and refreshed this one. After reading about your conversation with him over the phone: YEP. Suspicion confirmed.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I had already planned to reply with "They probably knew about your settlement" back before there were any replies in this thread. Instead, I finished reading some other tabs and refreshed this one. After reading about your conversation with him over the phone: YEP. Suspicion confirmed.
Haha well, he doesn't know about the settlement I got. When I dropped the car off we chatted for a bit, I told him about my accident and how I'm getting **** from disability and possibly losing my job, nothing about my reimbursement. Under those circumstances he still decided to do the repair.

The issue isn't whether or not I have the money for it (I do) or whether the repair was needed (it was), the issue is that this guy thought it was acceptable to charge me for a service I never asked for. I expected to be charged for the inspection, I never expected to be charged for repairs
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
They can't just make repairs without your consent. Tell them you want every part they replaced, and you're going to send it for independent testing before paying for repairs or you'll take them to small claims.
+1

That's like you having asked what gear is good for motorcycling when you bought your 650R, and then them charging you and giving it to you without you saying you wanted to buy it.

Honestly it was probably a mistake. They really aren't supposed to do anything you didn't ask without getting your consent. You were not wrong to expect that.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #9
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
+1

That's like you having asked what gear is good for motorcycling when you bought your 650R, and then them charging you and giving it to you without you saying you wanted to buy it.

Honestly it was probably a mistake. They really aren't supposed to do anything you didn't ask without getting your consent. You were not wrong to expect that.
It wasn't a mistake, auto mechanics are slimy. It's your job to be an educated consumer. They're trying to stick it to you. Give them a proper reacharound and stick them back.

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
take them to small claims court; no lawyer needed (in fact usually they aren't allowed).
This may help: http://www.sanmateocourt.org/court_d...our_rights.php
Quote:
No work will be done until you receive an estimate and authorize the repairs by signing a written estimate or work order.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I'm not going to threaten to take them to court, its a repair that was needed and I'd have to end up paying for eventually. I'm not going to be a douche and scam my way out of paying for a needed repair. I'm just going to pay the bill, pick up my car and never go back.

For the record, I would have forgiven them easily if he had just said, "Sorry sean, must have been a misunderstanding, it won't happen again." Instead he chooses to insult me and defend his actions as if doing the repair was the only option or the car would have disintegrated.

But hey, 5 year customer retention is pretty good right? Burn me once, go **** yourself cuz I'm not coming back.
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #12
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I'm just going to pay the bill, pick up my car and never go back.
This is why they get away with doing what they do. You're worried about scamming them when your $80 bill went to $800?

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Not paying for a repair that my car legitimately needed is just as douchey as what this guy did and I don't play like that. Just because I could legally sue doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. If it was a BS repair that I didn't need then I would do exactly as you said.

And they aren't getting away with it. My family and I would have gone to this guy for 20 more years but he burned that bridge and with it many thousands of dollars of profit.
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #14
SC90
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Did you take it back to the manufactures dealer? If so, ask the SA to goodwill it. I was a Mercedes-Benz service advisor and depending on case by case, I would goodwill a safety repair if it may cost the customer money if they have had a long history or been good customer with us.

But yeah, when you drop off the car and sign the X. You authorized them to perform a diagnostic, not a repair. And even if it was a safety issue and you did not authorize them to repair it, they should haven given the car back to you but on the receipt, it would state that the vehicle is not SAFE TO DRIVE. Simple as that.
SC90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #15
CynicalC

Quote:
Not paying for a repair that my car legitimately needed is just as douchey as what this guy did and I don't play like that. Just because I could legally sue doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. If it was a BS repair that I didn't need then I would do exactly as you said.

And they aren't getting away with it. My family and I would have gone to this guy for 20 more years but he burned that bridge and with it many thousands of dollars of profit.
I bet the mechanic's eyes lit up with dollar signs when you brought your car in and said "it's making a funny noise in the front." You're assuming that because the noise is gone, that the $700 must have fixed the problem, but he might have just replaced a $15 bushing. Oh well. Don't complain about it on the internet if you don't want to hear the truth.

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #16
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I have been an auto mechanic for therty years. He definitely should have called you. Was the charge for the repair out of line? If it was then go to court. If not just ask him to call you next time or find another shop.

From my experience customers are the slime bags. Lie about everything . Drive THERE car. That THEY bought until it brakes. Then act like I am suppose to fix it right away for nothing.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I have been an auto mechanic for therty years. He definitely should have called you. Was the charge for the repair out of line? If it was then go to court. If not just ask him to call you next time or find another shop.

From my experience customers are the slime bags. Lie about everything . Drive THERE car. That THEY bought until it brakes. Then act like I am suppose to fix it right away for nothing.
The repair was justified, I knew there was a problem with the power steering and I was expecting a phone call saying "blah blah blah this is the problem, will be $500 to fix it" and instead got what I stated above. I wouldn't sue over something my car actually needed.

And yea customers do lie about everything. Man I'd have people come in and say my phone stopped working, "well did anything happen to it?" nope. Meanwhile the phone is dripping liquid.
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
I bet the mechanic's eyes lit up with dollar signs when you brought your car in and said "it's making a funny noise in the front." You're assuming that because the noise is gone, that the $700 must have fixed the problem, but he might have just replaced a $15 bushing. Oh well. Don't complain about it on the internet if you don't want to hear the truth.
Perhaps you missed the point of the thread, the issue is not the repair.
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you signed a quote with a dollar amount. you agreed to pay that dollar amount. he did extra without you agreeing to it. he may have simply made a mistake, but it's his mistake, not yours.

if you were going to have it fixed anyway, find out how much what he did should have cost to be done normally. pay that much. if you didnt want it done, you signed a quote for a dollar amount. work with the poor bastard on the price.

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
^ will do
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #21
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

DIY. That is all.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I can DIY a bike but not a car
AFM #676

Old June 28th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #23
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
I can DIY a bike but not a car
If you can do one, you can do the other. Cars can be a little more challenging but not always.

I think if I had the money I would pay someone to work on my vehicles. But idk. I enjoy working on my vehicles.

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #24
Ranor
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White EFI

Quote:
So I dropped my car off 1 week ago to get a smog check and oil change. It's also been making some odd noises when I steer so I asked my mechanic to find out what was causing the noise. When I called back today to find out if my car was finished (long ass wait for a smog check, oil change, and diagnosing a problem IMO) I find out the bill is over $700. They found a problem with the power steering and decided to make repairs without consulting. That kinda pissed me off... alot.

With my bike mechanic I've never had an issue like this. He has fixed things that I didn't ask him to before but he never charged me for it. If there ever was a different issue that needed to be fixed other than what I brought it in for he would call me and ask me if I wanted him to fix it and let me know what it would cost.

Am I retarded for thinking my car mechanic would do the same thing? Or is he just a huge money grubbing douche bag? And this is a guy I've been going to for years.

There's no doubt in my mind that there was a problem that needed to be fixed but I just can't believe that a mechanic would go and make unauthorized repairs. Oh and the quote that I signed states smog check, oil change, investigate noise from steering. It doesn't say anywhere, "oh and fix **** without calling the customer, he will pay for whatever is needed"
Pay the guy, use a different mechanic next time, also specify to the new mechanic that he should not carry out any unauthorized repairs before telling you. Yes the mechanic was a douche bag, I'd say not going there in the future and giving him a bad name would be enough to settle the score.
Ranor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranor View Post
Pay the guy, use a different mechanic next time, also specify to the new mechanic that he should not carry out any unauthorized repairs before telling you. Yes the mechanic was a douche bag, I'd say not going there in the future and giving him a bad name would be enough to settle the score.
My thoughts exactly.
AFM #676

Old June 29th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #26
davenay67
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Goldwing GL1800, 2002 Ninja 250, 2001 VFR800, 1999 Ducati 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
If you can do one, you can do the other. Cars can be a little more challenging but not always.

I think if I had the money I would pay someone to work on my vehicles. But idk. I enjoy working on my vehicles.
Cars and trucks can sometimes be easier to work on. working on our family's fleet of aging high-mileage vehicles is my excuse to escape into the garage for hours at a time, listen to loud tunes and exercise therapy thru wrench-twirling. The sense of a job well done is also priceless....
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #27
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

The mech acted the prick, tell him you're paying what your signed contract says.

Had he apologized & claimed it was a mistake I'd have rang around for 3 quotes on the repair from other places & offered him what the lowest one was, but the insulting you & generally being a cnut about it...
Tell him to sit on it & swivel
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

So, what exactly is the point of this thread?

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting to the situation
AFM #676

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Whiskey

Quote:
I wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting to the situation
You seem to be bending over & spreading them rather than overreacting

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Why? Because I don't want waste my time running around grabbing quotes so he knocks $50 off the price
AFM #676

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #32
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
So, what exactly is the point of this thread?
He is mad because he took his car to a shop to get fixed and then the mechanic fixed it and charged him for the work.

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
He is mad because he took his car to a shop to get fixed and then the mechanic fixed it and charged him for the work.
U ams bad comprehension
AFM #676

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #34
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
The repair was justified, I knew there was a problem with the power steering and I was expecting a phone call saying "blah blah blah this is the problem, will be $500 to fix it" and instead got what I stated above. I wouldn't sue over something my car actually needed.

And yea customers do lie about everything. Man I'd have people come in and say my phone stopped working, "well did anything happen to it?" nope. Meanwhile the phone is dripping liquid.

No, I meant if you were aware of the problem (based on your own assumption) and needed the repair, and he fixed it for you...why are you complaining?

I could understand if he fixed a problem you didn't want done or feel it was necessary but it sounds like you already knew the problem. Now, if it's the price then negotiate with him giving him an option for a discount or to take him to court. Though I could see the judge asking you the same question I did. But judge would give you an option to put the car back to how it was and the repair shop footing the bill for the work. But what's the point?

As for ethics...yes, he should have.

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
But what's the point?
to stick it to the man!, dude!

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #36
Jono

@Jiggles
I know why you really made this thread. He did work you didn't approve.

But I mean you were gonna get it done anyways, right? This can't seriously be the first time a shop has done you wrong? If so, you've been lucky. Welcome to the real world.

I think what we have here are White People Problems.

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #37
Whiskey

Use the phone, you don't have to go running anywhere.

It sounds like a scam, the mechanic is overcharging because the work has been done, and it that he's done it without telling you what was needed to be done & giving you a chance to price it yourself.
He expects you to pay whatever he says the job costs.

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
No, I meant if you were aware of the problem (based on your own assumption) and needed the repair, and he fixed it for you...why are you complaining?

I could understand if he fixed a problem you didn't want done or feel it was necessary but it sounds like you already knew the problem. Now, if it's the price then negotiate with him giving him an option for a discount or to take him to court. Though I could see the judge asking you the same question I did. But judge would give you an option to put the car back to how it was and the repair shop footing the bill for the work. But what's the point?

As for ethics...yes, he should have.
The issue is I asked for an inspection and he went ahead and did the repair. Now at what point when you are charging someone for a service do you tell them what it's going to cost. He went ahead and racked up about $550 in charges I didn't know about. At what point do you call someone to tell them $1000? $3000?

The point is whether I was planning on getting the repair or not, he shouldn't have done it without my consent. I completely would have forgiven the guy except when I brought it up he turned into a total douche and tried to throw the blame on me and insult me. For the record, I've been his customer for 5 years. His shop does great work. He has plugged my tires and towed my car for free and I've really enjoyed the level of service I've gotten over the years. By the way I picked up the car and it drives great, they did an excellent job. Apparently though there was 2 different noises I was hearing that I thought were related but apparently they aren't. The power steering noise is gone and it handles great but there is still a noise that seems to be related to the engine/tranny. When I turned the power steering it would rev then engine a bit and make the noise more noticeable so I mistakenly thought both noises were from the power steering. Now I can see they were independent of eachother and the engine noise fluctuates with rpms (maybe some armchair mechanics can help me out with this )

Honestly I think it all was just a simple miscommunication, and the final straw was when he wouldn't own up to his mistake. It's just bad business to treat a good customer like me the way he did.

Anyway, I'm going to find a new mechanic and in the meantime, who wants to armchair repair my car?
AFM #676

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #39
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #40
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
@Jiggles
I know why you really made this thread. He did work you didn't approve.

But I mean you were gonna get it done anyways, right? This can't seriously be the first time a shop has done you wrong? If so, you've been lucky. Welcome to the real world.

I can't even comprehend how you can expect bad service

And thats not white people problems, this is

AFM #676