ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 26th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #1
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Parking on the street

I am moving to a new terraced house in town, which is fine except that there is no rear access so I will have to park the bike on the street where the "bad people" have access to it.
What are your experiences of on street parking? Have you had bikes stolen, graffiti, parts missing? Or am I being paranoid?
There are no anchor points so I will be dependent on Chain and disklock.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

You're not being paranoid, there are scumbags everywhere.

The best thing you can do is lock and cover it up and have good insurance. I've always used a Kryptonite u-lock through the wheel when there is nothing to secure it to like a pole.
I've had one bike stolen and don't want that to happen again.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #3
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Use a cover most low life don't bother to look under a cover , but they will scratch bend or brake things that they can see.
Steve

Old October 26th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #4
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

The best thing to do is have comprehensive insurance that covers theft. No matter the amount of locks and chains you have on your bike, if someone really wants it, they will take it. Locks prevent joyriders pretty well, though.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #5
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Good insurance for theft + GPS tracker.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #6
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

And don't be one of those fools that I've known who actually put the gps tracker sticker on their bike
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #7
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I've had 2 motos stolen years ago before I became a homeowner. I totally agree with the other posters above about insurance, chains, locks and a good anchor point to secure the moto to. Motos are extremely vulnernable to theft.

Old October 26th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
And don't be one of those fools that I've known who actually put the gps tracker sticker on their bike
Or if you're cheap, you could put on JUST a GPS tracker sticker on it :P
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

If you're where I think you are...

You're in a city full of students, many are well off students with enough beer money to get ****in plastered while attending the highly prestigious uni in your city.

Drunk students like to sit on bikes, they're also prone to falling off them & toppling them onto themselves.

I lived just off Jesus Green a few years ago, think we've another member squirrelled away there too.

I've since lived in a ropey part of Brum, where the bike wasn't touched & further north where some scumbag **** stole the 250 from out front, but missed the 675 around the back of the house, but bikes don't seem to be safe here, 2 have gone walkabouts from the children's hospital staff parking, and one from the hospital across the road in the past month. I hope the scum stealing them find a nice lamppost to split themselves in half around

A couple of no parking traffic cones (filled with concrete) either side of a ground anchor could save you a secure parking space out front... don't know how the council would react, if it's permit parking on your road you may get away with it...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
I am moving to a new terraced house in town, which is fine except that there is no rear access so I will have to park the bike on the street where the "bad people" have access to it............
Consider renting a garage nearby.

Check these out:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153017

https://ninja250forum.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127597
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 26th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #11
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
One of these may help as well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

I park on the street all the time all around Chicago, I've never had a problem. I try to park in very foot-traffic-heavy areas and lock my steering. I'm going to order a disc lock as well for extra peace of mind. I think most thieves are looking for supersports, literbikes, and harleys, not ninjettes.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote