ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

GPR Stabilizer?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have this stabilizer?

I have a Ninja 2010, and just recently purchased one of these. However, it does not want to mount while allowing enough room to insert the steering mount bolt fully. It seems once mounted as indicated per the included instructions, that the steering mount bolt is only catching about two treads, thus not long enough. Does anyone have this stabilizer, and experience the same issue?

Thnx.

Jay

Old June 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Email into GPR on the 26th of June, no reponse as of yet.

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #3
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

I have one, installed with no issues...but the biggest hurdle is a spanner wrench.

Once the triple is off, the 30mm nut and steering stem cap come off. Make sure the GPR plate has the indentions down and the stem cap cut is up. GPR mounting plate goes on, then the stem cap and the big nut. You really need a spanner wrench to tighten the nut all the way. If it is too loose, it does what you described (and when you stop it will move). Triple tree back on, and make sure it is all the way down. Plenty of threads for the stem nut. Then tighten all the set screws.

Hope this helps. If you need pics or I can help any other way, post up.
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Hi Randy,

Well a few additional twists and it seems that the EOM is long enough. However I went and bought a longer bolt just to be safe. The only problem with the oem bolt is how much torque did yoou use t make that fit. It's pushing down on bearings so this was the concern as well.

We hade an additional problem. I must have gotten one of the bad ones of the buch, as mine does not clear the bracket as well. What I mean by this as the GPR unit on the bike, when you go to turn the bike left or right, was hitting the corners of the mounting tee. I will try to upload some picture later of the final finish. We had to shave the corners slightly (with a file) on the piece that mounts onto the bike.

Oh by the way still no email from GPR. I am curious as to the torque spec that they used to get the original OEM to fit. Great to see a prompt response, not

Randy, did this cause issues for you as taking of the bolt dto remove the dust seal was about a full rotation. We tested using a spanner wrench with the kit and it took about 5 good rotation whcih we felt was putting alot of pressure on the bearings. Thoughts....

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Well after fitting it at my friends house, and riding it home we must have some spacing or not enough torque somewhere ( no spanner wrench). Everytime i hit a bump it seemed like the bike had, not sure how to explain it (play). Will have to pull it off and take a look.

Side note: No email from GPR

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
torque settings are important when dealing with taper bearings. not enough torque and it feels like your front is buckling under the bike when you get on the brakes

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Hi Alex,

thnx, yeah this spanner wrench is a pain in my ass, difficult to locate one for purchase here in Thailand. So looks like i may have to drag her down to the Kwacker shop to bring everything upto spec. . .

Yeah it was happenning during any littlte bump, and during breaking.

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
why not use a torque wrench with a socket? does it have to be a spanner? from briefly looking at the gpr install directions it looks like a spanner would actually make it harder to tighten... i haven't installed one of these before though so i'm just ignorant.

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

The spanner wrench is used to tighten down ( not sue of the bolt name) which is seated over the dust seal. I am sure that this needs to be done to spec otherwise it would put to much pressure on the bearings below. This is key, and I am pretty sure we do not have this one tightened properly.

The torque wrench is used on the steering mount bolt, which does need to be torqued to spec which we have as brought one over from the states.

Frustrating not having the proper tools (spanner wrench) on hand to do the job correctley.

Old August 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #10
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Resolved. When adding this Stabilizer, you have to have as stated by a few posters the "Spanner Wrench". It took awhile to get down to the local Dealer as it's a distance from my home. However, took them all of 20 minutes to tighten the spanner then put everything back on, and then torque the mounting bolt. All for a labor cost of $2.33 and that's at a dealership, would have been much cheaper if I could have found a local with this tool, gotta love it...

Do I love the product yes. Do I love the customer service provided by GPR "NO". Never got an email response from GPR.

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #11
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I use a screwdriver and a mallet for the stem nut.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote