ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #1
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Special Edition

Can anyone ride a motorcycle?

Can anyone learn to ride a motorcycle? I don't mean your grandmother or your 5-year-old kid, I mean anyone in their 20s? I'm sure the learning curve will be different for everyone, but do you think that there are just some people who were never meant to ride? I've been thinking about this lately. Looking forward to your input.
jboyd12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

As long as they don't have an acute fear of something related to riding, I see why not.

Old January 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Most people are physically capable of learning to operate a motorcycle . Some may lack the strength and coordination. In my opinion the bigger issues are not physical but mental.
1) Is the person really interested in riding or just the idea of riding? Are they motivated enough to learn and pursue the skills needed to be a good rider.
2) Do they have the ability to focus their attention while riding.
3) Do they have the guts to overcome their fears. Can they react in an effective manner or do they panic or over-react?
Motorcycling demands more than driving and those who are unwilling or unable to meet those demands shouldn't do it. My2 cents worth.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
No. I've met people who are scared to ride a bicycle with training wheels. I don't see them riding that, let alone a motorcycle. If they have terrible coordination, they'd probably end up dead, or crippled before they learned.

Old January 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #5
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Anyone can learn to ride...

But not everyone can continue to do so successfully.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I don't think blind people can ride motorcycles. I'm not sure though, let me do some research and check some facts
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #7
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I don't think blind people can ride motorcycles. I'm not sure though, let me do some research and check some facts
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

No. Motorcycle riding is just out of some people's abilities. Most people who can't don't try.

The rest wreck.

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Technically, yes. Realistically, no.

As other members have commented, some people simply aren't meant to ride motorcycles, either due to limitations of physical or mental capabilities.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:28 AM   #10
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

My fiancee expressed an interest that she wants to ride, so I have been thinking about that as well.

She is a tiny 95 lb girl.

I told her I want her to have one more year of driving experience (as she is a new driver), then take MSF course, and then we will talk. If I see that she is comfortable on a bike, I will give her a 250 as a present

It would be awesome to have her as a riding buddy though

Last futzed with by koenigcitizen; January 31st, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
koenigcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM   #11
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Technically, yes. Realistically, no.

As other members have commented, some people simply aren't meant to ride motorcycles, either due to limitations of physical or mental capabilities.

+1
Some people are just not capable to handle the physical and/or mental requirement of riding.
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM   #12
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Everyone can learn, that does not mean that everyone should.

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:06 AM   #13
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

How'bout those who are missing digits and/or limbs.. good number of them coming back from overseas in their mid 20's.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM   #14
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
How'bout those who are missing digits and/or limbs.. good number of them coming back from overseas in their mid 20's.
There's a guy in my neighborhood with a prosthetic leg who still rides. He lost his leg in a motorcycle accident.

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:30 AM   #15
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I'm with general consensus that almost everyone has the physical capability. With proper instruction and technique (and occassionally some bike mods), it is easy enough for almost anyone with the desire to learn and the right mental approach.

But that is the catch. People could have a mental block or fears that hold them back. My wife, who is physically capable of riding, has a healthy fear that blocks her combined with lack of patience to learn. She'll never be able to ride.

Seemed like a good place to put this:

Link to original page on YouTube.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM   #16
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

There was an older guy on my MSF course who had been riding a 250 scooter for a year. He struggled a lot, so half way through the first day the instructors took him off the motorbikes and got him to use his own scooter.
He still struggled. One of the scarier sights I've seen to be honest - knowing that this guy had been riding on public highways for a year already and still possessing such little control over his scooter.
I don't think that this guy will ever be able to ride a proper motorbike. I've known other people throughout my life with very little coordination who I think would struggle with the controls. If you can drive a manual car I'm pretty sure you have the faculties to ride a bike.
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Right......

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM   #18
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Use common sense guys, just because it can be done doesn't mean that it's a good idea.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:23 AM   #19
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

A story

When I was taking my MSF class, we had a guy show up. He was greek, so his bro was there to translate...but thats besides the point. Just by looking at him you could tell something was not quite right...blank stare, seems like someone kept on hitting him with a 2x4 every morning. But that's besides the point. Did not have a drivers license. Also besides the point.

He was eventually (on 2nd day) downgraded from a bike to a scooter. And then he got kicked out. We were doing the laps with S-boxes. I was in my box going though an S when I saw him sort of just casually blow by his box, ride all the way around, and simply just follow the line into my box, where I was doing the S. And just keep on rolling right towards me, looking straight at me. I stopped at that point, got on the horn and started yelling at him. About 3-4 yards away from me SOMETHING snapped in his head and he just realized the fact that he was coming towards someone.

We're not all created equal, some (and this guy was probably the bottom end of the curve) seem completely incapable of being able to look at the road, recognize where they are supposed to be, what to do, and do it. Everything must have happened very slow and serially for him.

His bro took him home and told the instructor that he would practice in the backyard or out on a dirt field somewhere. I hope I don't run into that 'tard anywhere.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:37 AM   #20
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
He was eventually (on 2nd day) downgraded from a bike to a scooter. And then he got kicked out. We were doing the laps with S-boxes. I was in my box going though an S when I saw him sort of just casually blow by his box, ride all the way around, and simply just follow the line into my box, where I was doing the S. And just keep on rolling right towards me, looking straight at me. I stopped at that point, got on the horn and started yelling at him. About 3-4 yards away from me SOMETHING snapped in his head and he just realized the fact that he was coming towards someone.
Dude! That's terrifying!

I agree with everybody else. Physically is one thing and unless that person is insanely small or insanely large, sure why not. Mentally is a totally different question. There are just some people that make crappy decisions all the time. Not the type of people that should be riding or driving.

Old January 31st, 2012, 12:25 PM   #21
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I had a friend that rode bicycles a lot . He wanted to ride a BMW to Alaska. I said he should take the MSF class and study riding. Ware all gear all the time. Then get a cruser to learn how to ride. He did everything right . Three months and he was killed when he turned in front of a van. I later found out he wrecked every car he ever owned. If I had known that I would have suggested he not ride motorcycles.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 01:10 PM   #22
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

motorcycling is not meant for everyone...
other than basic necessities, few things in life are.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Use common sense guys, just because it can be done doesn't mean that it's a good idea.
use common sense guys, just because you can ride without a seatbelt, full cage and airbags around you doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

...... oh wait.

Old January 31st, 2012, 01:50 PM   #24
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
My really rough, noobie, completely unsubstantiated guess, is that only ~50% of adults are of the right mental and physical state to be able to ride without problems. There are so many boxes that you need to tick in order to effectively command a bike:
[ ] Do you have good muscle-control for making small precise movements in your feet, wrists and fingers?
[ ] Do you have good muscle-control for making confident, broader movements with your arms legs and torso.
[ ] Do you have confidence in your own abilities? (Not everyone has the belief in themself they need to do something, despite the fact that they may be more than physically and mentally capable of doing it. I think this holds more women back than men. More of my girl friends than guy friends will shoot themselves down and talk themselves out of things. If you haven't developed that inner confidence before starting something then I think you're likely to be on a fast track to disaster if you try and ride a motorcycle out on public streets. I think if you have just enough confidence to do it then I think motorcycles can be a major confidence boost. Personally I find them quite self-empowering.)
[ ] Do you have the mindset that you must take charge of your own destiny and your own bike?... not just for operating your bike, but for fueling it, maintaining it, cleaning it, servicing it, listening to it and generally giving it all the love that it needs to keep you safely rolling. No one else is going to take responsibility for your bike (unless you're loaded!), so if you don't the bike may well let you down... and when it does and you crash it would be your own fault.
[ ] Are you able to overcome your fears of riding? As mentioned by other people, there seem to be so many opportunities a motorcycle presents you to act out of fear and subsequently end up in a bad situation. I love Keith Code's discussion of all the different fear reactions that riders will go through and how they all lead to disaster. I've experienced a fear-induced accident before where I panic'd and target fixated. I later overcame that mindset and fear in a very similar scenario, which aloud me to confidently move the bike the way it needed to be moved. I remember reading about how Alex completely lost the back end in a turn and was sliding around a corner, but instead of freaking out, grabbing brakes or bailing, he did what you're supposed to: stayed focused, stayed on the throttle and he rode it out.
[ ] Do you have the energy to ride. Like most people here I've driven cars and ridden motorcycles. It's a damn sight easier and requires much less energy to drive a car. Some people are more lethargic than others and may not have the energy needed to gear up, endure rain, high temperatures, near misses, powerful wind, bug splats and everything else. Personally I love it all!!

That's all I can think of for now. I know more people who can't tick all those boxes than people who can.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 01:57 PM   #25
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
My really rough, noobie, completely unsubstantiated guess, is that only ~50% of adults are of the right mental and physical state to be able to ride without problems. There are so many boxes that you need to tick in order to effectively command a bike:
<SNIP>
That's all I can think of for now. I know more people who can't tick all those boxes than people who can.
Great post!!!!
+1

Old January 31st, 2012, 02:28 PM   #26
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

my wife can barely drive a car.. there is no way she would be able to ride without a lot of coaching before the riding course
mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 05:14 PM   #27
blink
Always.

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Not an elephant

Old January 31st, 2012, 05:15 PM   #28
blink
Always.

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5.0 View Post
my wife can barely drive a car.. there is no way she would be able to ride without a lot of coaching before the riding course
ahahahahhaha!

My gfs good with the car, and was very good first time bike.
But your reply made me think of probably 70% of the drivers I see everyday

Most don't know where the cars battery is.

Old January 31st, 2012, 05:20 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Right......
Best way to cut down weight for track riding is to start amputating limbs.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote