ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 28th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
PartisEnki
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Allie

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Do you detail other people's bikes?

Hey, I own a 2009 Ninjette. I do my own detail work on my car and bike. I'm overly obsessive about it, actually. I live in Maine and our winters are less than endearing towards vehicles, so I believe in keeping stuff clean and protected (my car is nearly 10 years old with zero rust, original paint and undercoating).

I ride with a bunch of real Harley people (I'm the only crotch-rocket allowed ). One of my friends asked me to do a full detail on his monstrous Street Glider (I'm a girl who weighs around 100lbs. This thing is easily 10x my weight). It took me two and a half days to do this monster and a near heart attack getting it into the garage. It took me 4-5 hours to fully detail my Ninjette when I first got it (a lot a grease around the engine).

I was wondering if anyone else here has detailed any Harleys with a ton of chrome and how much they typically charge? I have at least two others to do and possibly another Street Glider like this one.

I was going to ask this over at HDForums, but others have asked the same and have gotten moronic answers to the tune of "it takes me 6-12 beers worth of supplies and a couple hours" and "I wouldn't get my bike detailed, I have SOS pads and dish detergent". So I figured I'd get a better answer here, as I've already gotten a ton of great info from these forums for my own bike.

Here is a pic of the bike (and my poor tiny Ninjette stuffed in the back ):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikes.jpg (235.1 KB, 15 views)
PartisEnki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

I would check and see what they charge to detail a SUV and would charge atleast that for a Harley.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #3
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

I'm a strict hourly kind of guy because my time away from real work is important to me. How much would you charge for your off-time? Figure out an hourly number then go with that.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'd go hourly also. Actually, I wouldn't detail anyone else's bike but my own. All my bikes and cars are emaculate. I can't stand being in or on a dirty vehicle.

I've done numerous Harleys and you will need many brushes, q-tips, tooth brushes, and a lift will help. There is a product (sold in many Harley dealerships) called Top Coat made by Ducora. You can get this on any part and it doesn't leave a white residue.

https://www.ducora.com/TOPCOAT/TOPCOAT.htm