ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 27th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #41
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

@dfox has thought about the situation in great detail, you should move on.

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #42
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
You're not actually thinking you can sell a 5 year old, previous generation bike that was 5k when it was brand new for more than 3k, do you? I think you might be able to squeeze 3k out of it if you're really patient. Again, expect that bikes on Craigslist sell for 500 lower than asking.

Its registered to another owner. You need to register it to yourself, unless the original owner is accepting the risks of having it continually registered in his name,

You have to pay tax on used vehicle sales to register it in your name.

You have to transfer title, and wait probably 4 weeks for the new title to show up.

Then you have to store a commonly stolen object without insurance.

Then you have to deal with sketchy Craigslist people showing up to your house, since you can't ride to meet in a public place.

Lots of risk for little gain.

Again... MOVE ON.

Better yet... buy the bike, and learn a life lesson.
Well said
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #43
chef
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

How confident would you be buying a used bike from a seller who had no actual experience on what he is selling other than word of mouth from the prior owner??
Buying a bike & keep it stored in your garage until you can flip it raises too many unknowns for me as a potential buyer to hand over my hard earned cash.
Walk away from this one.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #44
PartisEnki
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Allie

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I bought my '09 in 2011. It had 500 miles on it and had been dumped once. The girl said she replaced plastics (which was evident, the sticker was missing on that side). The tank has a dimple in it and the handle bar on that side was a bit scuffed. I paid $3,000 for it (it matches my car, I didn't even negotiate. XD).

Early last summer my boyfriend got into a really terrible crash on it. He almost lost his left arm, his gut was torn open, severe internal bleeding, skull fracture... the list goes on. Had a %1 survival chance on the way to the hospital. In short, we fixed the bike this spring and I'm riding it again. It's straight as an arrow. They're a hell of a bike. I'd say $2,500 is fair especially if there's no damage.

I certainly wouldn't buy one just to flip, though. I mean, if I got a wrecked one for free maybe, but it's pointless to flip a perfectly good, relatively new 250. If you're looking to flip bikes and turn a profit, start looking out for older cruisers with "for sale" signs... Or buy wrecked bikes and strip them for parts. That's what I'm doing with the wrecked bits of mine (the ones that aren't totally destroyed, that is) and other parts that I've replaced like all the (remaining) blinkers and tail light. I bought a used brake pedal from a guy in the UK that does just that. It has a little wear, but its going to get wear anyways and it was a third of the price of a brand new one...

As for your parents, I had to go through the same with my mother. I had been considering a bike since I was 19. After was out of college and had a full time job, saved enough cash and did hours upon hours of research. I was still living with her at the time and she allowed me to buy one after I presented all this research to her (I had to go through the same process to get the top of my ears pierced when I was 16 XD) But, I certainly would have never showed up one day with one without her knowing and she knows that. She's still not happy about me riding, but that's understandable. I'll always be her little girl. You absolutely must respect your parents, especially if you're living under their roof. They raised you and they love you and I guarantee THE #1 reason they do not want you having one is because they don't want to see their baby hurt. And believe me, it is not a fun experience seeing someone you love in a coma in the ICU. If you really want it, show them you're responsible enough to own it and maybe they'll allow you to get one. If not, you'll have to wait until you're 100% on your own.
PartisEnki is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #45
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartisEnki View Post
I bought my '09 in 2011. It had 500 miles on it and had been dumped once. The girl said she replaced plastics (which was evident, the sticker was missing on that side). The tank has a dimple in it and the handle bar on that side was a bit scuffed. I paid $3,000 for it (it matches my car, I didn't even negotiate. XD).

Early last summer my boyfriend got into a really terrible crash on it. He almost lost his left arm, his gut was torn open, severe internal bleeding, skull fracture... the list goes on. Had a %1 survival chance on the way to the hospital. In short, we fixed the bike this spring and I'm riding it again. It's straight as an arrow. They're a hell of a bike. I'd say $2,500 is fair especially if there's no damage.

I certainly wouldn't buy one just to flip, though. I mean, if I got a wrecked one for free maybe, but it's pointless to flip a perfectly good, relatively new 250. If you're looking to flip bikes and turn a profit, start looking out for older cruisers with "for sale" signs... Or buy wrecked bikes and strip them for parts. That's what I'm doing with the wrecked bits of mine (the ones that aren't totally destroyed, that is) and other parts that I've replaced like all the (remaining) blinkers and tail light. I bought a used brake pedal from a guy in the UK that does just that. It has a little wear, but its going to get wear anyways and it was a third of the price of a brand new one...

As for your parents, I had to go through the same with my mother. I had been considering a bike since I was 19. After was out of college and had a full time job, saved enough cash and did hours upon hours of research. I was still living with her at the time and she allowed me to buy one after I presented all this research to her (I had to go through the same process to get the top of my ears pierced when I was 16 XD) But, I certainly would have never showed up one day with one without her knowing and she knows that. She's still not happy about me riding, but that's understandable. I'll always be her little girl. You absolutely must respect your parents, especially if you're living under their roof. They raised you and they love you and I guarantee THE #1 reason they do not want you having one is because they don't want to see their baby hurt. And believe me, it is not a fun experience seeing someone you love in a coma in the ICU. If you really want it, show them you're responsible enough to own it and maybe they'll allow you to get one. If not, you'll have to wait until you're 100% on your own.
Very well said. Thank you for those words. Any recommendations on a first helmet. I really want a Shoei but it really isn't in my budget. Cycle Gear has some BILT ones on sale that look decent.

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #46
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdRatherDrum View Post
Very well said. Thank you for those words. Any recommendations on a first helmet. I really want a Shoei but it really isn't in my budget. Cycle Gear has some BILT ones on sale that look decent.
not sure what your budget is but heres some gud relatively cheap helmets.
http://www.revzilla.com/bell-vortex-helmets
http://www.revzilla.com/scorpion-exo-500-helmets
http://www.revzilla.com/icon-airmada-helmet
I have 2 airmadas and i love them <3. Also check out http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #47
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
not sure what your budget is but heres some gud relatively cheap helmets.
http://www.revzilla.com/bell-vortex-helmets
http://www.revzilla.com/scorpion-exo-500-helmets
http://www.revzilla.com/icon-airmada-helmet
I have 2 airmadas and i love them <3. Also check out http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok
Thanks. I was actually interested in the bell vortex and the scorpion exo-400. Hopefully they have them in stock at my cycle gear.

Old July 1st, 2013, 10:42 AM   #48
sunspots
ninjette.org member

Name: Sunspots

Motorcycle(s): 08 Plasma Blue 250

KBB has a 08 in excellent condition for $2400 from the dealer.

I wanted a motorcycle but my parents wouldn't let me have one. They wouldn't let me have one no matter what, I was 19 at the time. Grew out of the phase and fast forward a few years, 22 now, going on 23. A friend convinced me to buy one. I just took the class a few days ago and bought one, didn't tell my parents. Sent them a picture with me on the bike in my garage and stuff.
They called me back.

And guess what...they didn't care. They knew I was responsible and smart enough to make my own decisions.

So listen to your parents dude. As cliche as it sounds. Even though you may not agree with it, they know whats best. You'll definitely be in the same position as your parents one day.
sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote