Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Thanks Ninjette.org, and a Couple Questions

Well everyone, I am a pretty new rider and I am so glad that I finally took the plunge and started riding. Even when I don't feel like riding, I am always so stoked that I did when I head out. I read this site pretty much constantly but I'm always at work, so I can never reply back to any of the threads. I've learned a hell of a lot hanging around here though, so hell yeah.
A couple questions I have that I couldn't get through the search function, which I usually can are these;
There is a tube I noticed today that isn't connected to anything. It hangs right next to the kickstand and about as far down as the fairing. It is a pretty small, black tube. Is this a fuel or coolant overflow tube? I think it is, but paranoia is killing me right now.
Secondly, I have been trying to practice panic braking, but I don't really know where the limit is for maximum braking. In other words, I might feel like I am braking really hard, but really only be braking at, let's say, 75%. Are there some numbers I could get that say; "In good conditions a 250r brakes at 25 mph in 'X' amount of space" so that I could know that if I am stopping at 25 mph in 30 feet that I am using 85is % of my braking power? Essentially I want to know where the limit is because I don't think I am close, but I could be.
Thanks again guys and girls, and I encourage you to keep giving noobs like me the good advice like to look through the turns. Today I was in a situation where a car was coming over the center line so I had to change my turn line which left me kind of wide. By beating into my head all of the cornering advice you people give, I naturally just pushed my inside bar, tightened the turn and it was a non-event. I know y'all that have been riding awhile might take things like that for granted, but your advice is absolute gold, and possibly crash saving for us beginners.
Thanks again, sorry for the long post
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
That's an overflow tube

If you brake progressively and on a good clean road then your rear wheel will lift up. If that happens you're at the limit of braking potential
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
That's an overflow tube

If you brake progressively and on a good clean road then your rear wheel will lift up. If that happens you're at the limit of braking potential
Thanks man. Yeah when I brake I give a nice squeeze and not a grab, so I might practice getting close to that lift. I think I will be able to feel it. Luckily for me I have never had an ABS car so I am used to not just stompin' the brakes.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

1. That's normal, fuel overflow drain thingy, don't worry.
2. After a years riding you'll know the breaking limit through practise, rule of thumb, you think you're braking as hard as you can at the front, you still have 5% left, after jamming it on when a cat runs out in front of you you'll think "**** man, I vice gripped it and I stopped fast enough to crush my bollocks and I didn't slip at all" and realise you'll be ok if you jam it in the future.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
1. That's normal, fuel overflow drain thingy, don't worry.
2. After a years riding you'll know the breaking limit through practise, rule of thumb, you think you're braking as hard as you can at the front, you still have 5% left, after jamming it on when a cat runs out in front of you you'll think "**** man, I vice gripped it and I stopped fast enough to crush my bollocks and I didn't slip at all" and realise you'll be ok if you jam it in the future.
Cool, as I thought, just me being paranoid. I just love riding so much, and really want to learn everything I can to make me a better rider. My neighborhood is squirrel city, so I kinda get the cat reference.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

I did mean to ask one more thing, sorry, but I didn't want to make a whole 'nother thread.
Everyone says to check the dates on your tires, but for the life of me can't find an "expiration date." My tires aren't even close to the wear bars, and look to be in great shape. I have the manufacturing date, but it doesn't mean **** to me if I don't know when that runs out. Is it 5-6 years?

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgshadow View Post
I did mean to ask one more thing, sorry, but I didn't want to make a whole 'nother thread.
Everyone says to check the dates on your tires, but for the life of me can't find an "expiration date." My tires aren't even close to the wear bars, and look to be in great shape. I have the manufacturing date, but it doesn't mean **** to me if I don't know when that runs out. Is it 5-6 years?
If your tires are OEM then they're around 5 years old. Tires get harder as they get older giving less traction. I'd switch me out but I'm a tire snob. You're likely fine until you hit the wear bars
AFM #676

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:44 PM   #8
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Don't be paranoid but be careful when trying to practice max braking because it's always possible to look the front tire ans skid and if that happens you have a few milliseconds to release the brake or it's hello lowside This happens easier with old hard tires. Make sure you practice on of perfect of asphalt as you can find to avoid surprises.

You can swap out both your tires to something more recent or what I recommend is go pick up a Diablo Rosso II front and slap that on. The front tire controls everything, the rear has no choice but to follow
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:48 PM   #9
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

If it was stored indoors and your mileage is low its probably ok.

If there are any cracks or the tire is starting to develop flat spots, i would replace them.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

I'm most definitely going to change out the tires in the near future, and I realize they aren't the most grippy, best option. I just wanted to make sure they are still safe from total blowout failure or anything like that.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:53 PM   #11
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
I'm most definitely going to change out the tires in the near future, and I realize they aren't the most grippy, best option. I just wanted to make sure they are still safe from total blowout failure or anything like that.
No cracks or holes and your good to go
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I'm not 100% on my math but...

25MPH Starting Speed

Stopping Distance in Feet.................Acceleration
20.9'--------------------------------1.0G
23.2'---------------------------------.9G
26.1'---------------------------------.8G
28.1'---------------------------------.744G*
29.9'---------------------------------.7G

*http://www.bikesafer.com/detail/braketime.html

Quote:
The Montreal guys found that, on average, 95 percent of their research subjects could hit the brakes within that time interval. From the brake decelerative force paper, we took -0.774 G (just over three quarters of a negative gravity) as the average braking force for non-ABS bikes
If you practice panic stops from 25MPH and you can stop in less than 28 feet your average deceleration is greater than .744G.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys for answering these questions I had. I did have one more thing I wanted to ask...don't blame me I'm learning. At least my question isn't about a 1000 being a good first bike .
Is there a problem if I am feeling every bump in the road or is this just what motorcycles are like? I don't mind it much, it isn't like it hurts my nuts or anything, just want to know if it is something I should get checked out. I know I should up my rear shock from setting "1" since I'm around 200lbs, but I wasn't sure if this should be of any concern. Again, it's not like I'm being violently thrown around, but I am very in tune with the condition of the road. Thanks again, and I promise I'm done after this.

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Thanks guys for answering these questions I had. I did have one more thing I wanted to ask...don't blame me I'm learning. At least my question isn't about a 1000 being a good first bike .
Is there a problem if I am feeling every bump in the road or is this just what motorcycles are like? I don't mind it much, it isn't like it hurts my nuts or anything, just want to know if it is something I should get checked out. I know I should up my rear shock from setting "1" since I'm around 200lbs, but I wasn't sure if this should be of any concern. Again, it's not like I'm being violently thrown around, but I am very in tune with the condition of the road. Thanks again, and I promise I'm done after this.
That's a sport bike. Get a Beamer, problem solved
AFM #676

Old June 26th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Bumping up the preload on the rear shock from 1 to X isn't gunna make the ride any less bumpy. The ninja is not known for it's ultra smooth glide lol. I would at least put it on 2 and seriously consider 3.

You can pad the seat yourself and recover or spring for one of those fancy corbin models that will put a smile on your backside.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input/suggestions. I'm not uncomfortable when riding or anything...didn't buy a bike for comfort. Just wanted to make sure that this was within the norm.
As far as preload, I know that upping it will make the ride a little "rougher", but I prefer that it feeling "springy".

Old June 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
That's an overflow tube

no, it means you have bad body position