Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

GoPro Cameras

It seems like a lot of people on here have GoPRos. I think it would be nice to have one to video rides. Now I am not up to speed on them so any suggestions would be helpful. I think one of the older ones would be fine I don't need it to be super high res just would play it on computer and put online so What version am I looking for and what mounts do I need for the bike? I don't want to spend a crapload of money so that's why I was thinking the older models.

Ebay links would work too...
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #2
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

The new HD Hero 3 is great, but you would be fine with a 2 for motorcycling.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #3
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Warning: They hold their value really well...

Old June 25th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
JonR
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I use a Contour Roam 2.

$200 and it comes with an adhesive pad that's slightly curved so it works on my helmet. Another $28 for a 32gig microSD card and I can record for about 3 hours straight. It's also waterproof though I forget how deep. I also bought a suction cup mount for my car so I can use it while driving too.

I wear it everytime I ride (or drive) primarily for liability. My main reason for choosing it is that I don't have to have some giant box hanging off my head like you would with a GoPro.
JonR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #5
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

I just bought a hero 3 white edition retails for $200 i got it for $180 shipped new in package from ebay and its worth it. they hold their value and the hero 3 has built in wifi with the phone app you can make sure you have the right angle when you set the camera. all my friends have it I just got mines literally opened it 2 days ago. im figuring out what mount to get for the 250 since the triple tree not as wide as my friends gixxer to put the regular mount on it.

theres a gas cap mount for $30 then a magnetic one for $20 which im leaning towards I like the angle from the gas tank that shows the speedometer on video.
rcruz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcruz17 View Post
I just bought a hero 3 white edition retails for $200 i got it for $180 shipped new in package from ebay and its worth it. they hold their value and the hero 3 has built in wifi with the phone app you can make sure you have the right angle when you set the camera. all my friends have it I just got mines literally opened it 2 days ago. im figuring out what mount to get for the 250 since the triple tree not as wide as my friends gixxer to put the regular mount on it.

theres a gas cap mount for $30 then a magnetic one for $20 which im leaning towards I like the angle from the gas tank that shows the speedometer on video.
thanks, researching this everyone seems to think the white sucks but I thought it would work just fine for me. The 2s are still expensive used.

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Warning: They hold their value really well...
No crap i see that!

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Whats the minimum class micro sd card does the white one require?

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I got a drift hd because i don't wanna look like a retarded teletubby. Great price and quality; i've had some corrupted file issues lately but apparently that's cuz i should be running a class 4 card and i have a class 10 in it.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The heck with a GoPro 2... I'm running a GoPro Hero HD. It rocks!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Whats the minimum class micro sd card does the white one require?
hero 3 says micro sd class 10 I got a 32GB for under $30 locally im sure i could have found cheaper online

reason why the white "sucks" is that its 5MP not much of an upgrade from hero 1 and hero 2
silver edition is something like 11MP and $300 retail...

one of my friends has a hero 1 and started playing with my white edition and said its much better has all the features of the new one and for the videos ill be making im sure the quality is enough. 1080p 30 frames/second
rcruz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Get the Contour+2. It's MUCH more low profile and aerodynamic than the GoPro line. Check it out, I recently got one and it pretty much solves all the problems people have with the size, shape and operation of other action cameras more specifically, the GoPro. It has a ton of features and comes with a waterproof case as well.
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
I got a drift hd because i don't wanna look like a retarded teletubby. Great price and quality; i've had some corrupted file issues lately but apparently that's cuz i should be running a class 4 card and i have a class 10 in it.
I've only heard amazing things about the Drift. The GoPro has arguably better picture quality, but as someone who watches a lot of motovlogs, the Ghost looks great imo. Plus as you said, it's way more compact
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Dano
ninjette.org sage

What about editing software does the gopro come with it or do you use any vid editing software?

Old June 25th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #15
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'd say go with a drift if you're just going to be using it for motorcycling and not other EXTREME SPORTS. I have an HD hero 960 so I won't comment on video quality as it sucks on the older models, especially considering mine is the low end one lol, but the 2 and 3 should be better. The drift has a mic port you can access, it's my understanding that the gopros have mic ports but you can't use them if the housing is on, which is kind of the point of having a gopro.. Also it looks pretty goofy on my helmet too and catches a ton of wind at higher speeds. The drift also has a screen built into it, a heck of a lot more convenient IMO and it appears to be way easier to get the right angle rather than fussing with the stupid gopro mounts which are killer on my fingers. Sony's action cam (or something like that) seems to be pretty good too but I don't really know anything about it.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote