ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1
JH PiNoY
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

HighBeams

New to the forum! So far getting tons of new info into riding motorcycles! I was just wondering if its fine to ride my ninja 250 with high beams on during the day?
JH PiNoY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH PiNoY View Post
New to the forum! So far getting tons of new info into riding motorcycles! I was just wondering if its fine to ride my ninja 250 with high beams on during the day?
As long as it is legal in your state/location to do so, then yes! In California, they actually recommend us to ride with our brights on during the day. Personally, though, I just ride with my normal lights during the day and the night. Nothing bad can happen from riding with the high beams on during the day coming from a mechanical standpoint.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

No. the additional light emitted increase global warming, depleting the ozone and increases the planets temperature, which will cause your bike to run hot, making the oil break down and wear out the crank bearings, thus causing the motor to seize, which will prevent the lights from coming on when you try to start it, and now your back to square one.

some say its good, some say it doesn't help, do what feels right to you
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

You're going to get a multitude of answers on this topic.. some informational and insightful, some not so much. It really comes down to your own preference, which you'll only be able to find through getting some riding experience. If you don't mind possibly blinding or causing discomfort for cagers, then run with em on, if you'd rather not be rude, don't. It's up to you.

If you're discomforting their eyes then at least they see you right? But they may not see something else they need to.

I run with my high beams on my 500 because the headlight sucks and my high is about as good as a cars low beams, on my CBR I run with my lows on when there's other traffic because it's headlights are much better, low is sufficient for city riding at night and my high beam will blind other drivers.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #5
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Msf recommends it, I tend to do it... I def love my passing modulator button!!!

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
High Beams 100% of the time
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

I personally ride with high beams all the time, day and night. I just dont care
I have noticed many riders using their highs during night time, including cops.
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #8
jnninja250r
Qtr Ltr

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

I have a modulator on my high beam for use during the day. Never had any issues. I've seen a few other bikes with them, and they really do catch your eye more then the high beam does on its own.
jnninja250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #9
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I ride with high beams on. I was behind this guy in a little crappy car and he was making gestures out his window and blocking his mirrors with his hands like it was bothering him. Ironically, it was like 3:00pm with the sun blaring, and he had on those typical white douchebag sunglasses. Made me lol.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Being one of those that bright lights genuinely do bother my eyes, I tend to only turn on the brights at night or when oncoming traffic is facing the sun. Other than that, low beams work.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #11
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

I like to punch ppl in the face that use hi beams when in traffic at night

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #12
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

[QUOTE=rojoracing53;707396]High Beams 100% of the time.

Same here.

Old June 30th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #13
wvninjamom
ninjette.org member

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

High beams unless riding behind someone. My husband has said the high beams on the ninja seem brighter than on some other bikes.
wvninjamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #14
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

I Have illegally modded HID lighting in my bike and I put the HIgh Beams on at night and before people talk **** about light pattern and all that crap....isnt the point to be seen in the bike anyways? so whats it matter. I did retrofits on my car but thats different I feel...
rcruz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #15
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcruz17 View Post
I Have illegally modded HID lighting in my bike and I put the HIgh Beams on at night and before people talk **** about light pattern and all that crap....isnt the point to be seen in the bike anyways? so whats it matter. I did retrofits on my car but thats different I feel...
LOL.

They can't see you when they're blinded, you're just asking to get hit. Apparently presenting facts is the equivalent of talking **** in your mind, good to know.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #16
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
As someone who puts more miles on the road than 99% of everyone on this forum, I can guarantee you that on a road with no median, I'm much more likely to hit the idiot who won't turn off their high beams or illegally has overbright HID lights on than the guy who has normal, reasonable lights on.

And the issue has nothing to do with being seen, it has to do with being able to see everything else, you know, like the road, the obstacles on the side of the road, the divider lanes, etc. If I can't see because some jackass thinks it's a good idea to blind me, I do my best, but damned if I'm going to run off the road, risk my own life and the safety of the vehicle I'm driving to avoid clipping the idiot.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #17
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
As someone who puts more miles on the road than 99% of everyone on this forum, I can guarantee you that on a road with no median, I'm much more likely to hit the idiot who won't turn off their high beams or illegally has overbright HID lights on than the guy who has normal, reasonable lights on.

And the issue has nothing to do with being seen, it has to do with being able to see everything else, you know, like the road, the obstacles on the side of the road, the divider lanes, etc. If I can't see because some jackass thinks it's a good idea to blind me, I do my best, but damned if I'm going to run off the road, risk my own life and the safety of the vehicle I'm driving to avoid clipping the idiot.
yea I get your point but if Im crusing behind a car and I see my high beams shining his interior and bouncing of his mirrors I have the courtesy to shut em off as for the Low beam yea they glare but beams pointed down so it never blinds people not all halogen reflectors are created equal...im still debating putting some morimoto mini bixenons on the Ninja ...

Old June 30th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I use my highs during the day and selectively at night.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #19
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Yeah, smart.

How about wearing a reflective vest? You know, something that doesn't piss off/blind other motorists (including motorcyclists).

Back on topic, I use my low-beams all the time. I only use hi-beams when I need the extra light output so I can see the road/debris.

I bought the bike with HIDs in the stock housing and the best mod I did was throw them in the trash and replace them with regular halogen bulbs.

Old June 30th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #20
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I do not think you kids know just how blind us old fogies are when you hit us with high beams. If you did then there would be no discussion here.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #21
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Yeah, smart.

How about wearing a reflective vest? You know, something that doesn't piss off/blind other motorists (including motorcyclists).

Back on topic, I use my low-beams all the time. I only use hi-beams when I need the extra light output so I can see the road/debris.

I bought the bike with HIDs in the stock housing and the best mod I did was throw them in the trash and replace them with regular halogen bulbs.
ok so now is a bash on me thread because I use HIDs? dont know if its a boston thing then but the sportbikes with HIDs that always have highbeams on far out number the bikes with Halogen....then again it could just be a masshole thing where ive lived my whole life...I dont know what its like to have other drivers on the road use their turn signals

Old June 30th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #22
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Agreed. Brights really blind me when I'm hit with them and it's for my safety I flash the other driver to turn them off. I want to be able to see the road too.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #23
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Massachusetts law stipulates that you must lower your high beams when you are within 500 feet of an oncoming driver. You must also dim your brights within 350 feet of cars moving in the same direction, from people or other "substantial" objects, or inside a Massachusetts Turnpike tunnel. You may remind an oncoming driver to dim his high beams by briefly flicking your own brights on and off.
The Code of Massachusetts Regulations, Chapter 540, Section 22,

Generally, the fine for a first high beam offense is $35. A second offense is $75, and a third is $150. Be aware that, according to Massachusetts traffic law, any offense involving "improper use of headlights" is subject to a fine.

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #24
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Massachusetts law stipulates that you must lower your high beams when you are within 500 feet of an oncoming driver. You must also dim your brights within 350 feet of cars moving in the same direction, from people or other "substantial" objects, or inside a Massachusetts Turnpike tunnel. You may remind an oncoming driver to dim his high beams by briefly flicking your own brights on and off.

Generally, the fine for a first high beam offense is $35. A second offense is $75, and a third is $150. Be aware that, according to Massachusetts traffic law, any offense involving "improper use of headlights" is subject to a fine.
well I dont know how just the system is elsewhere but police only write out those tickets when they need an excuse to pull over a stereotypical dropped honda civic really...Boston I hope unfortunately is the only city where you can be driving next to a cop and some asshole pulls an illegal u-turn into your lane making you slam your brakes and the cop just looks the other way...

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #25
menikmati

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
ok so now is a bash on me thread because I use HIDs? dont know if its a boston thing then but the sportbikes with HIDs that always have highbeams on far out number the bikes with Halogen....then again it could just be a masshole thing where ive lived my whole life...I dont know what its like to have other drivers on the road use their turn signals
Consider this scenario: You're on a 2-lane road (or have a car sitting either beside you or close to it) and approaching a corner. You apply your brakes to set your entry speed and counter-steer into the turn. Mid-turn, a vehicle with lights so bright that they obscure 100% of your vision consumes your entire field of view. I can almost guarantee that you will not be able to maintain your line without thinking about either cutting the inside/apex or veering off the side of the road or into traffic in the outside lane. If it's even for a split-second, your riding is impaired and your safety is compromised.

The primary function of your headlights are to light up the road that is in front of you and to keep you informed of what's to come up ahead.

If you want to be seen, you would greatly benefit from practicing safe riding tactics. Consider lane position, following distance and constantly monitoring your surroundings (both immediate and in front towards the horizon).

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #26
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Consider this scenario: You're on a 2-lane road (or have a car sitting either beside you or close to it) and approaching a corner. You apply your brakes to set your entry speed and counter-steer into the turn. Mid-turn, a vehicle with lights so bright that they obscure 100% of your vision. I can almost guarantee that you will not be able to maintain your line without thinking about either cutting the inside/apex or veering off the side of the road or into traffic in the outside lane. If it's even for a split-second, your riding is impaired and your safety is compromised.

The primary function of your headlights are to light up the road that is in front of you and to keep you informed of what's to come up ahead.
thats not a scenario thats a regular drive down jamaicaway has ups and down that cars with only halogen low beams blind you lol

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #27
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
well I dont know how just the system is elsewhere but police only write out those tickets when they need an excuse to pull over a stereotypical dropped honda civic really...Boston I hope unfortunately is the only city where you can be driving next to a cop and some asshole pulls an illegal u-turn into your lane making you slam your brakes and the cop just looks the other way...
The law is is safe practice. What you do is unsafe and illegal whether it is enforced or not.

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #28
menikmati

Quote:
thats not a scenario thats a regular drive down jamaicaway has ups and down that cars with only halogen low beams blind you lol
Uh, what?

Unless you're a highly proficient rider in the upper echelon and can take every single turn blindfolded, motorists with blinding headlights are creating a more hazardous riding/driving environment than a safe one.

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #29
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

It's not really debatable. Headlights that throw light into the faces of other drivers are dangerous and/or annoying...high beams or HiDs without projectors.

I can't speak for all HIDs but some without projectors scatter light in what looks to be a dangerous manner, others don't.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #30
Bones85
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I used to but I don't use them anymore after doing some research.

1) It makes it harder for people to judge your speed
2) High beams can still annoy people even during the day time. If I'm behind a car on a single lane road, I'm usually in the left portion of the lane so your high beam would be shining right on the car's mirror in front of you.
Bones85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #31
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
If you're running with high beams all the time you better be a woman.

I been known to throw napalm on bikers who blind me with their high beams.

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #32
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I run with my high beams on my 500 because the headlight sucks and my high is about as good as a cars low beams
Re-aim your headlight up and try one of the fancy halogen bulbs (that's an H4 right?) I had really good luck with the stock 250 headlight aimed properly and a Sylvania Silverstar. I only switched to bixenon HID because I wanted to cut power usage a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
High Beams 100% of the time
but... you have bixnon! Don't you blind people with the dual hi's on?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #33
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Re-aim your headlight up and try one of the fancy halogen bulbs (that's an H4 right?) I had really good luck with the stock 250 headlight aimed properly and a Sylvania Silverstar. I only switched to bixenon HID because I wanted to cut power usage a bit.

but... you have bixnon! Don't you blind people with the dual hi's on?
I find with experience fewer people will pull out in front of me with my highs on, drivers are more inclined to get outa the way at the first opportunitythey get. It's also the only way to see anything while the bike is leaned through the turns at night. I may be because people think I'm a Moto cop but its extreamly rare(like once a month) that someone actually flashes there high beams at me. I'm not sure the reason why but HID projectors dont seem to be as blinding to oncoming traffic as normal high beams even through they are so much brighter.

If I'm stuck behind someone I don't plan on passing and there's zero chance of someone turning in front of me like a long one lane road I will drop to lows until the conditions change.

Also if I can't pass someone for awhile and I need my highs to see through the corners I will make sure to lay back a good 60-70 yards to I'm not right in thier face.

I need lights that will tip up as you lean over so they'll work on low through the turns.

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #34
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
I may be because people think I'm a Moto cop but its extreamly rare(like once a month) that someone actually flashes there high beams at me. I'm not sure the reason why but HID projectors dont seem to be as blinding to oncoming traffic as normal high beams even through they are so much brighter.
I tend to just turn my high beams on when someone wants to blind me with their lights. If your lights are too bright, my high beams help me to see the road somewhat better. I figure if the oncoming driver doesn't like it, they shouldn't have illegal lights on their bike.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #35
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I find with experience fewer people will pull out in front of me with my highs on, drivers are more inclined to get outa the way at the first opportunitythey get. It's also the only way to see anything while the bike is leaned through the turns at night. I may be because people think I'm a Moto cop but its extreamly rare(like once a month) that someone actually flashes there high beams at me. I'm not sure the reason why but HID projectors dont seem to be as blinding to oncoming traffic as normal high beams even through they are so much brighter.

If I'm stuck behind someone I don't plan on passing and there's zero chance of someone turning in front of me like a long one lane road I will drop to lows until the conditions change.

Also if I can't pass someone for awhile and I need my highs to see through the corners I will make sure to lay back a good 60-70 yards to I'm not right in thier face.

I need lights that will tip up as you lean over so they'll work on low through the turns.
High beams when leaning through turns and when no one is in front of you. All other times you can flicker hi to low with more effect, anything else is just being lazy. Lazy is not you, come on!

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #36
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
High beams when leaning through turns and when no one is in front of you. All other times you can flicker hi to low with more effect, anything else is just being lazy. Lazy is not you, come on!
You don't know me

I'm a whole new level of lazy that people have yet to comprehend. Just ask @CycleCam303

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #37
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
You don't know me

I'm a whole new level of lazy that people have yet to comprehend. Just ask @CycleCam303

Old June 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Here's what you do:

Put the projectors in collars, put those in roller bearings. Then, weight the bottom. Voila, projectors that level as you lean, keeping the cut-off horizontal at all times.

That's your new project. I want to see what you come up with.

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #39
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Here's what you do:

Put the projectors in collars, put those in roller bearings. Then, weight the bottom. Voila, projectors that level as you lean, keeping the cut-off horizontal at all times.

That's your new project. I want to see what you come up with.
Uh yeah that sounds like a piece of cake

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Uh yeah that sounds like a piece of cake
I know right? I can always hope that you'll come up with something cool...