Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old July 1st, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Gfortunes
love to ride

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Ebony/Candy Persimon Red

A question for the all knowing and all seeing masses

I have a 4 door jeep wrangler cage (car) and I am looking for a hitch carrier that will work for my ninja that is compatable with the spare tire on the back of my jeep all the ones I have found would need an extender which lowers the acceptable tongue weight down to below the needed 400 # I want to be able to carry my bike. I dont want a trailer because I may want to ride the bike while my wife drives the jeep during parts of a trip and she wont pull a trailer while she is drivingno matter what the size of the trailer trust me!!!!! I knew that if the info is out there some one on here would have it. Thanks
Gfortunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Not sure if one would work well on an extender past the spare, it does seem like it would lower the effective carrying capacity of one. But here are some links for other folks here who have used them:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40045
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22281

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

This fits on to a normal trailer hitch with a removable hitch ball, you can get the hitch at u-haul I think they sell and install them.

Here is the link to the place I found this

I seen people with horse trailers use them

http://www.discountramps.com/carrier...909&OVNDID=ND1

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

I don't think you are gonna find one that would work without an extender, what about the ones that cradle your front tire and let the rear tire free wheel sorta like towing it like a car.

link:

http://www.abiketow.com/
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfortunes View Post
I have a 4 door jeep wrangler cage (car) and I am looking for a hitch carrier that will work for my ninja that is compatable with the spare tire on the back of my jeep all the ones I have found would need an extender which lowers the acceptable tongue weight down to below the needed 400 # I want to be able to carry my bike.
The ninjettes don't weigh #400. Why can't you use the extender?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM   #6
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I don't think you are gonna find one that would work without an extender, what about the ones that cradle your front tire and let the rear tire free wheel sorta like towing it like a car.

link:

as cool as that looks, I'd be constantly worried that something would cause the bike to pop into gear....

edit: i guess you could zip tie the clutch as a safety, but I'd still be worried. could be nice if I needed the wife to get the bike home in an emergency tho
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM   #7
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I think a female on the forum tried one - it took 3 people to load - and she dropped it unloading it herself.
Nevertheless, I have been thinking about one for my Bronco.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM   #8
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Couple of options:

Remove the spare tire and store in the back behind the rear seat. Or leave it at home and take your chances (you can always by an emergency plug kit). Some new cars don't come with spare tires anymore.

Remove the spare tire and then strap it to the bike (putting the bike between the wrangler and the tire).
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM   #9
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

link:

I wonder if that would put a flat spot on your tire if you had a long trip to make.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM   #10
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
I wonder if that would put a flat spot on your tire if you had a long trip to make.
Probably but keep in mind its just towing it in neutral no drive to the tire and not much weight on it also, so I would estimate that it would wear 3-4 times or more slower than just riding it.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:07 PM   #11
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Probably but keep in mind its just towing it in neutral no drive to the tire and not much weight on it also, so I would estimate that it would wear 3-4 times or more slower than just riding it.
Good point.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:18 AM   #12
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Any carrier other than a trailer has restrictions that make it unsuitable for some bikes. I researched a lot of alternatives to trailers when I bought my Ninja and every one of them had some insurmountable drawback, weather weight restrictions or loading inconvienience. Good luck finding what you're looking for, but I really don't think the product we need has been made yet.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
What about the complete transmission still being turned with no oil pressure. Only way I would dig towing it that way, is if the chain was off.....
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote