ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old May 30th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #1
zenrush
ninjette.org member

Name: Russ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 650R, 2009 250R (sold)

1,500 Miles in 4 days

Has anyone done a ride like this on their 250? Looking for advice on what to consider and hopefully hear from someone who has some experience with a ride like this.

I am going to Dallas where I will stay for two nights then heading home to VA to see family. Dallas to VA will be single night stops only (Little Rock and Nashville). I will stay 8 or 9 days in VA then make the run back to Lubbock. The only change to the return trip will be a single night layover in Dallas instead of two nights.

I will be running with a manta tank bag and either a tail bag or saddle bags. I am worried about heat from the exhaust damaging the saddlebags since they have do not heat shields so I will probably just run the tailbag.

No mods whatsoever to the ninja. Well I removed the rear fender.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
zenrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I only advice I can give you is, if you have more time enjoy the many fabulous roads that are on your route.

Old May 31st, 2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Stop by WalMart and get you one of those camelback type water backpacks and always have water with you. It's hot out there on your travel route, and if anything happens, you're going to need water so you don't get dehydrated. Put a pack of crackers in a pocket, too.

Old May 31st, 2010, 08:26 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I went from GA to CA in 4 days. I wish I could have slowed down and enjoyed the scenery more, but it was frickin' cold (late December). I did have a backpack with a water bladder (from Wal-Mart!) and a Bell tank bag (also from Wal-Mart). The tank bag is larger than yours but I was likely carrying much more (was moving cross-country). Yes, I was sore for many days but the chapped neck and face was much worse. My skin was flaking for weeks! I wasn't even aware that you could "chap" anything other than your lips. Cold air = dry air and dry are will siphon moisture from your body.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 10:00 PM   #5
zenrush
ninjette.org member

Name: Russ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 650R, 2009 250R (sold)

Water is critical. Got it!

Thanks for the advice.

And man.... GA to CA in 4 days. That has to be some kind of ride.
zenrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

Sounds like a good ride. As for luggage, if you can fit what you need in the tailbag go that route. The lighter the better. 1500 miles. Hmm, adjust chain tension, check oil, air filter, tire pressures and tire tread. Remember to pack your chain lube as you will need it, also will probably have to adjust your chain once on the road (take your tools). Also when is your next oil change do? If falls in the middle of your trip may as well do it before you leave. Proper bike prep takes a lot of the worry out of a longer trip, the less you have to worry about the more you will enjoy the ride.
So, lots of fluids, lube your chain, take lots of pictures and most of all.. relax and enjoy the ride.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Yeah, tools are a great idea. I dropped my Parrot SK4000 into my tail fairings at a gas station in Louisiana and had to spend hours trying to get it out with the stock tool kit. Not fun.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Dropped my only bike key into the fairings of an R6 a few years ago. Was lucky to be riding with a guy who owned a Yamaha dealership, who made an educated guess about where it landed, and he turned out to be right on the first shot. Took < 5 minutes, when I was thinking it would be an hours-long ordeal.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM   #9
EuphCW1
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2009 EX250-J, 2008 Honda CBR600RR

Manage your fatigue. If you get fatigued/tired/sore it is just another thing to dull your focus and concentration. Move around on the saddle, and stop often. The more often you stop the longer distance you can go before you get fatigued (in my experience). A few extra 10 minute stops wont add much time to your trip, and you will arrive feeling better.

Wear earplugs if you don't already (bring plenty of extras if they are the disposable kind).
EuphCW1 is offline   Reply With Quote