ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #1
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Which came first...the intake or the exhaust?

Ok so Im new to this modding thing but I have an understanding how an internal combustion chamber works. So my question is...which should someone do first...remove the airbox and get a new filter(pod) or a full exhaust system. I am interested in doing both but with an extended period of time between both mods for money and time reasons. I ask this question for 2 reasons. The first is a purely mechanical one. With installing a freeer flowing intake...more air would be sucked into the engine but with a stock restirictive exhaust this air will not be able to escape as fast as it needs to...assuming the stock exhaust is really as ineffiecent as I have heard. Im leaning more towards the idea then of installing a full exhaust system is better just because this would really use the full potential of the stock airbox by allowing the exhaust gases to flow more freely out of the engine. I guess the answer would depend on which is more efficient in our bike...the stock airbox or the stock exhaust..assuming all nec. jetting was done. The next reason for this question is from strictly money and time stand point. The full exhaust systems seem to be relativly pricy but seem pretty simple to install. This seems to be the opposite for a removal of the airbox. Pretty cheap for a new filter yet you have to rip your entire bike apart to do install(Thanks for the pix kkim).

So simply...which should be done first?
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #2
kkim

You'll get varied opinions on this, so here's mine.

From my experience, I would recommend as yor first step...

1) a full exhaust system (AreaP or Yoshi) in the color/configuration of your choice,

2) removal of the snorkel to derestrict the intake as much as possible,

3)remove the Kleen system and

4)shim the carbs with 3 washers if your bike is the typical lean running bike from the factory.

With the parts in hand, you should be able to do all this in a weekend, if this is your first time tearing the bike apart.

But remember, the object is not just to throw parts on the bike and say, "I'm done", but to work the pieces together so the bike runs the way you want it to from top to bottom in the power band.

When I did my mods, I did them one at a time so I could see what difference each mod made along the road to my projected desired result.

My end result is a bike with a power band from bottom to top that feels "electric" in nature. The power is so smooth now that when you twist the throttle the bike simply moves forward with a bit more gusto...much like controlling an electric motor, yet it still screams when you approach the redline (9-12k) area.

It will take a lot of work to get to the point where you'll be completely happy with the bike (I still have work that I am planning to do). I recommend the work be done in small steps at a time.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote