ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Rubber Well nuts

Has anyone noticed that the stock rubber nut wells (they are used on parts of the fairing and windscreen) seem to deteriorate rather quickly.

I was just wondering if anybody has used some aftermarket ones from the hardware store that seem to do a better job, Im not sure if its just the material that Kawi had outsourced was shoddy or not.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #2
kkim

everyone seems to have problems with those and it doesn't seem to be a problem with only a single manufacturer.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #3
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I have lost one and one of them falls out everytime I take the left side off. I had thought about getting new ones the next time I have the fairings off, which, hopefully is not very often.

nb

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #4
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Yep, i have 3 that are broken. I just have to reach my hand inside the fairing to hold them when taking off or putting the fairings on.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
kkim

have you guys seen this thread? http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26251
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #6
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

here is where i bought mine: http://www.desmoparts.com/ducati/wellnut/wellnut.htm

ours are supposedly the m5 nuts. i bought a bunch but i haven't taken my fairings off again since i got them, so i can't confirm if the fit or not. kkim ordered some with me, and i gave some to istreefitty when he bought my bike.

they feel like they will last longer than the stock ones, but who knows.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #7
np6000
ninjette.org newbie

Name: NP

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
here is where i bought mine: http://www.desmoparts.com/ducati/wellnut/wellnut.htm

ours are supposedly the m5 nuts. i bought a bunch but i haven't taken my fairings off again since i got them, so i can't confirm if the fit or not. kkim ordered some with me, and i gave some to istreefitty when he bought my bike.

they feel like they will last longer than the stock ones, but who knows.
Just bought these a few weeks ago from desmoparts, they are in m5 on our bike. They do fit, even though the dimensions are not identical to the OEM part. The oem ones fell apart after one year.
np6000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #8
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

Funny you guy are talking about wellnutts. I found these yesterday but I refuse to pay $30 for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Set-o...#ht_1615wt_895

Old August 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #9
k4m1k4z3k
ninjette.org member

Name: Kel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I just replaced all of my hardware (screws, push rivets, well nuts) through http://www.bikebolts.com. Using coupon code '4forum20' to get 25% off makes the well nuts about 50cents each.
k4m1k4z3k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I ordered a bunch from Cheap cycle parts. Like 5 or 6 bucks each . I thought It was because I take my bike apart so much.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I ordered a bunch from Cheap cycle parts. Like 5 or 6 bucks each . I thought It was because I take my bike apart so much.
Well, I finally took off my upper fairing for the first time ever and found that even the ones that hold the headlight in were rotted despite never being exposed to the elements or sunlight and the bolts remaining untouched since it was assembled in Thailand.

I found 14 total rubber well nuts:
2x in the tail fairings under the passenger seat/solo sport cowl.
2x in the undertail, one of which requires removing the right-side passenger peg (you can leave your exhaust "floating")
2x in the RH lower fairing
2x in the LH lower fairing
2x in the windscreen
2x in the fairing stay under the windscreen/upper fairing (longer bolts from the bottom of the windscreen)
2x inside the upper fairing for the headlight mount

For search results purposes:
wellnut wellnuts well nut well nuts well-nut well-nuts
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
everyone seems to have problems with those and it doesn't seem to be a problem with only a single manufacturer.
I know kkim is gone but I just had to point out that I don't think this is true because I have yet to see a single report of any non-Kawasaki replacement wellnut ever rotting. Indeed, the only ones I found that were not rotted in a matter of months were:
1) the two exposed on the windscreen that originally had a different part number and
2) the two that a dealer had already replaced when they serviced my bike (RH lower).

I gradually replaced them all with various brands of M5 rubber wellnuts and none have rotted since. Kawasaki obviously knew there was a problem to use the rotting M5s only where you couldn't see them and to use a more expensive M5s with a different part number which don't rot for the exposed windscreen (others are "out of sight, out of mind").

More proof that it is a problem with these particular wellnuts: Kawasaki silently revised their parts diagram so there is no longer a different part for the windscreen wellnuts. I don't know if you can still order 92015-1757 (92015B on the old diagram), but it has been replaced in the diagram with the same wellnuts used on the windscreen: 92210-0498 (92210A on the diagram). They did that for good reason and you would be throwing your money away on 92015B 92015-1757. Hopefully the good ones are cheaper, though I see very little reason not to go with cheap generics (nothing else seems prone to rot).

You can still see the old diagram with the rotting parts on Cornwall Kawasaki's EX250K diagram (FI-spec 2008-2012). Here is where both parts were discussed in depth on the US EX250J models diagram prior to the change:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30915
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote