ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #81
kkim

I buy mine from the autoparts store. they have crush washers of different sizes there. sorry, can't remember what size that washer is.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #82
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

no doubt they were cheaper than what the dealership charged me... although i don't remember how much they were.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #83
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Attached is a PDF that I created for the information posted here so that you can easily print this out for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ninja Oil Change.pdf (1.29 MB, 211 views)

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #84
chess
Ninjette Afficionado!

Name: chess

Motorcycle(s): Red...the sexiest color.

I just did my second oil change at 600, and I wanted to just drop in and say thanks for taking the time. I don't think I would have ever taken the assembly apart to find the small o-ring without this thread...though I'm kind of convinced that as long as it's not leaking, it's no big deal. Every o-ring I've taken off has been pristine, and I wouldn't hesitate to reuse them a few times if my filters didn't come with them.

I was happy to find much less "junk" in this oil change...looked like a few flecks of paint, but no metal.

And for lack of a better local option, I've been using Fram filters (I know) from Wal-Mart. But I figure with these changes at such short intervals, the filter doesn't really have much time to break down. At 1000 - 1500, I'll switch to Rotella, and I'll keep stopping by O'reilly's to check for Wix filters, but they never seem to have them.

At what point are you guys planning to go regular intervals on your oil changes? 2-3K with synthetic? I ask, because I'll be racking up the miles commuting to work...probably 700-1000 per month.
chess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #85
kkim

If you can't find the WIX filters, NAPA Gold line of filters are made by WIX.

After all the break in oil changes are over with, I'm planning to change mine every 3k miles, but if you are commuting and don't really push your bike hard, I'd consider 5K change intervals as long as your are using a full synthetic.

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #86
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
install the engine oil drain plug with a new gasket
so I've never done this on a bike but will tomorrow. we have to buy a new gasket also?

ehh, think I just found the answer in the manual "Replace the drain bolt gaskets with new ones if they are
damaged
."
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #87
B2FiNiTY
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R

you don't have to every change but doing it every once in awhile is good for piece of mind. there was once on a used car that I bought that I decided not to change it and it ended up not sealing and oil started dripping so I had to basically do half an oil change all over again. better safe than sorry!
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:18 AM   #88
kkim

you are actually supposed to change the drain bolt crush washer at each oil change. The washer is designed to deform under pressure and seal as the drain bolt is torqued to spec. It is a "use once" designed washer.

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:59 AM   #89
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

hmm. so can we just pick one of these up at the auto store? does anyone know the size specs on this gasket so that I don't have to go run to the store in the middle of my oil change to show them the exact gasket I need?
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #90
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Quick question: Is it a problem to have an oil different from 10W-40? I was told by a mechanic at a local Yamaha dealership I get tune-ups and such from that I should use 20W-50. From what I can tell, it's supposed to be better for high-RPM engines. Is that right?
Yes if you live in like AZ.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #91
ScorpionNinja

Hey nice write up! Heres 2 other things about well ANY oil change you might find useful.
1) If all you have are Wrenches to take off the bolt/drain plug, and NEED more leverage, take another wrench (one that is 1-2 sizes near the one your using), and Fit it into the other one.... open-end, fits into the box-end or vise versa! (i dont have a camera, sorry cant give Pics)
This will give ya more leverage to break a bolt loose!

2) b4 you try and take off the drain plug, MAKE SURE that the oil fill CAP, is Fully On, screwed in. Cuz if you have the Cap OFF, then as you remove the Bolt/plug... itll create a 'vaccaum' and cause the Oil too ' JET out' and make things more Messy! hehe

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #92
ScorpionNinja

Oh for my First Oil change, at about 610 miles, i took my bike too the dealer.

I dont have a bike stand,etc at the time, as i had them tighten up the chain slack too! I had them use reg 10w-40 Kawasaki 4T oil. Now im not a huge believer in synth Oils... im old school, and every Car ive ever had, reg oil changed 3k miles... ive Never had a Engine go bad,etc... but, whats your guys take on syth oils for motorcycles?
Keep in mind, i use my bike for getting too work, and just cruisin' around town and joy riding! I DONT race tracks and such, so i dont see a synth oil needed.

So if its 'Best' too use synth oils on my 250R, what mileage should i start using them, and what kinda Brand 10w-40 be Overall best? (price,performence,etc)

Thanks!

Old June 6th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #93
craha
ninjetter

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Great DIY, thanks. Everything worked smoothly and as described, until...

I tried using my torque wrench (set to 14.5 ft/lbs) to torque the bolts. I've torqued the wheels on my car and have always heard a very positive clicking when torque is reached. I didn't hear that when tightening these bolts. After tightening a bit more, I got scared and stopped. I'm not really sure at this point if they are over tightened, under tightened, or OK.

After starting for the second time to as described, I noticed smoke coming out from somewhere. Smells like burning oil but I'm not sure if it's some that I missed from draining that is heating up around the exhaust or some kind of new leak?
craha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #94
kkim

what size torques wrench did you use? what is the range of values it can handle?

On the smoke... I'd guess you must have splashed some on the exhaust and it's just burning off. If it continues, I'd be concerned. Trace down the source of the smoke if it continues.

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #95
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Quick observation: When torque values are less then 20 ft./lbs. or so I suggest getting a 3/8" torque wrench that measures in inch/lbs. Most torque wrenches become very inaccurate when you start approaching low values. One time I half assed it on an Mopar engine and used my 1/2" torque wrench for a 10 ft/lbs (120 inch/lbs) camshaft cap bolt and snapped the bolt.

Pulling my 3/8" torque wrench revealed the bolts were closer to 12-14 ft./lbs.

And as kkim pointed out, the header runs close to the oil filter cover and it's easy to splash a little oil on there
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #96
craha
ninjetter

Quote:
what size torques wrench did you use? what is the range of values it can handle?

On the smoke... I'd guess you must have splashed some on the exhaust and it's just burning off. If it continues, I'd be concerned. Trace down the source of the smoke if it continues.
The wrench is 1/2" with a step down adapter to 3/8" so I can use it with my 17mm socket. The range is 10 to 150 ft/lbs.

Today I took the exhaust side fairing off and ran it for a few minutes. There was still some smoke but not as much. I even tried my old Master Mechanic pointer style in/lb torque wrench to check. The bolts are definitely tight enough.

Now I am just worried they are way too tight. Not sure if the over tightening is causing the o-rings not to seal. Also wondering I can see a little oil along that seam but not sure if it was there to begin with or not. No apparent dripping anywhere. I've been using newsprint under while running to check for drips.

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #97
kkim

A 1/2" drive will definitely not be "sensitive" enough at that low end range. I suggest a 3/8" drive or a 1/4" drive wrench that will cover that range. Torque wrenches are not too accurate at the extremes of their stated ranges.

Wipe the seam the looks wet and recheck after awhile to see if it's wet again. If it's sealed properly, it shouldn't look wet once you wipe it clean.

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #98
craha
ninjetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
Quick observation: When torque values are less then 20 ft./lbs. or so I suggest getting a 3/8" torque wrench that measures in inch/lbs. Most torque wrenches become very inaccurate when you start approaching low values. One time I half assed it on an Mopar engine and used my 1/2" torque wrench for a 10 ft/lbs (120 inch/lbs) camshaft cap bolt and snapped the bolt.

Pulling my 3/8" torque wrench revealed the bolts were closer to 12-14 ft./lbs.

And as kkim pointed out, the header runs close to the oil filter cover and it's easy to splash a little oil on there
Looks like I might have to loosen and re-torque. Is there any damage I could have caused over tightening other than snapping the bolt?

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #99
craha
ninjetter

Quote:
A 1/2" drive will definitely not be "sensitive" enough at that low end range. I suggest a 3/8" drive or a 1/4" drive wrench that will cover that range. Torque wrenches are not too accurate at the extremes of their stated ranges.

Wipe the seam the looks wet and recheck after awhile to see if it's wet again. If it's sealed properly, it shouldn't look wet once you wipe it clean.
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I need a new torque wrench!

Do you think I can just loosen the filter bolt and re-tighten to appropriate torque or do I need to start all over? I could probably take the oil drain bolt off and quickly replace the crush washer without losing too much oil. I do have an extra bottle. Any thoughts?

Old June 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #100
kkim

if you're not leaking anything, leave things alone till your next oil change. in the meantime, get yourself an appropriate torque wrench for the required torque values.

I own 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch drive wrenches to cover most of what I do in my garage.

Old June 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #101
craha
ninjetter

Thumbs up

Quote:
if you're not leaking anything, leave things alone till your next oil change. in the meantime, get yourself an appropriate torque wrench for the required torque values.

I own 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch drive wrenches to cover most of what I do in my garage.
Just went on a test ride and everything seems OK, no leaking or smoke as far as I can tell.

As far as the wrench, I have a 3/8" that reads in inch/lbs. I'm going to look for a 3/8" with foot/lbs for a more accurate reading. I'll probably do my next service around 3500. Thanks again for all your help!

Old June 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #102
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by craha View Post
Just went on a test ride and everything seems OK, no leaking or smoke as far as I can tell.

As far as the wrench, I have a 3/8" that reads in inch/lbs. I'm going to look for a 3/8" with foot/lbs for a more accurate reading. I'll probably do my next service around 3500. Thanks again for all your help!
Craig - inch lbs is no less accurate. 14.5 ft lbs = 174 inch lbs
all you do is multiply by 12

Old June 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #103
craha
ninjetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Craig - inch lbs is no less accurate. 14.5 ft lbs = 174 inch lbs
all you do is multiply by 12
True, I've always just multiplied in the past. The problem of accuracy is really about the increments on my in/lb wrench jumping from 100 to 200 with only one little line between. I'd like to find something with better/more increments and figured while I'm at it a 3/8" ft/lb wrench might not be a bad addition.

I also have a click type with the twist handle to set torque which seems possibly a better option than the pointer type. Maybe they both work fine though...

Old June 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #104
noche_caliente

I have the click type and can set every inch - I got it at sears and have been very happy with it

Old June 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #105
craha
ninjetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I have the click type and can set every inch - I got it at sears and have been very happy with it
Wow, that is very precise! I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Old June 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #106
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 2010 yamaha fz6r raven

i did my first oil change today @ 620 miles. thanks for the great write up kim. btw thanks again for the service manual u emailed me. im saving me some money having to do the 600 mile service myself with the help of my pops who's a pretty good mechanic.
richierich781 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #107
Twinck
Tinkerer

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): Black 09 Ninja, 09 CBR125 (well sort of.. it's the wifes :) )

First oil change today at 75km, glad i did as the oil that came out looked putrid .. could only find semi synthetic 10w40 out of 6 bike/auto supply stores.. will be doing the next change at around 500km ..

I did make one mistake, took out the sump bolt next to the oil filter first instead of the drain plug, re-attached and torqued up to 14.5 ft/lb, hopefully didn't do anything major :/

now running the engine up to around 6k rpm, does anyone know if i should be able to do 100 km/h without damaging the engine during the break-in ?

Thanks

Tom
Twinck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #108
kkim

Tom,

You'll be fine running the bike all the way up to redline during break in. Some break in philosophies encourage it, so running your bike anything less than that is acceptable. You are doing right by changing the oil often during the break in period. I changed mine 3 times before 600 miles.

Old July 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #109
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinck View Post
could only find semi synthetic 10w40 out of 6 bike/auto supply stores.. will be doing the next change at around 500km ..
You can use any oil, if it's not energy conserving. Check this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10346
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #110
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

what kkim said

I only use motorcycle oil. To each his own.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM   #111
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Ok so I didnt know where to post this question and this thread seemed like a good spot. So it seems like Rotella T can not be found anymore in or around my town. I have a little bit left(maybe for half an oil change) of a gallon that I bought. Would it be ok to mix this synthetic with another synthetic of the same weight (say Castrol Syntec) in the same oil change?
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #112
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

You can probably order Rotella T online somewhere.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM   #113
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Yea your probably right but I feel like shipping would end up costing quite a bit due to the weight. If I find that the oils available to me at walmart or an auto parts store are not up to the same quality I may end up doing that but I'll give this stuff a try.

If in fact I cant mix these oils then I'll go order some Shell.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM   #114
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Does anyone know who makes Kawasaki synthetic?

Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM   #115
noche_caliente

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
If I find that the oils available to me at walmart or an auto parts store are not up to the same quality I may end up doing that but I'll give this stuff a try.
Where have you been buying the Rotella? The only place that I've seen it is Walmart....

Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:44 AM   #116
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
Yea your probably right but I feel like shipping would end up costing quite a bit due to the weight. If I find that the oils available to me at walmart or an auto parts store are not up to the same quality I may end up doing that but I'll give this stuff a try.

If in fact I cant mix these oils then I'll go order some Shell.
You most likely could, but I wouldn't. You never know what reaction mixing of different brands of oils might bring. Just buy 2 qts of whatever oil you want to try and use that.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #117
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Yea I bought it from Walmart but they no longer carry it ...maybe I should try a different wal-mart?

Yea I was thinking that but I couldn't wrap my head around a reaction occuring if both synthetic and the same weight. I guess any kinda special thing they add in for "anti-sludge" or any other BS they say so people buy their product...

Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM   #118
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

The only place I have found it is Walmart
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM   #119
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Alright then time to find a new wal-mart...

Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM   #120
Ryosen11
ninjette.org member

Name: sho

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR Ninja 250R(sold)

The only way to get an accurate oil level reading is with the bike in an absolute vertical position... not on its sidestand.

After filling the oil, is it ok to leave the bike on the rear stand(vertical but slightly raised rear) for accurate reading through the window or does it need to be off?
Ryosen11 is offline   Reply With Quote