ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

What size ratchet to take off front sprocket?

Went to go take off the front sprocket today...and I dont have the right size ratchet to take the nut off. I have a 22mm that was too small so I went to Sears and bought a 5 pack of Craftsman between 22-26 and none of them fitted . The 26mm was still a drop too small but before I go back to return them tomorrow and guess on another I was wondering if anyone knew the right size...Thanks!!
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #2
littlemike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250r

the socket is a 27 mm for the front sprocket, you can buy it individually at Sears. That what I did. I would keep the sockets that you got, you can't have to many tools Plus the nut on the rear wheel is a 24 mm size if you ever want to adjust your chain after a sprocket swap.
littlemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #3
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

If I can throw in my 2 pennies... Whenever I only need 1-2 sockets I typically go to an auto parts store (Kragen, Napa, etc.). They normally sell HIGH quality individual sockets for good prices and they're almost always 6-point sockets. I stopped buying from Sears as
A) I've broken (I'm not kidding) almost every single Craftsman socket I've ever owned.
B) I don't want to go to Sears every time I break A socket
C) A lot of times they only offer 12-point sockets.
D) Craftsman tools tend to be overpriced IMO
E) Believe it or not damn near everyone will warranty a socket. Go ahead and (if you can) break a socket you bought from Napa and bring it back. They'll without receipt and/or hassle just give you a brand shiny new one like Sears does.

Again some people are diehard Craftsman fans, and I tried to be, but Craftsman stopped making decent products decades ago and I refuse to shop there anymore.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #4
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
Went to go take off the front sprocket today...and I dont have the right size ratchet to take the nut off.
I thought VeX was going to correct you on this.

We all know that you meant to say "I dont have the right size SOCKET to take the nut off." Am I not correct? Most likely you shouldn't be using a ratchet, anyway, as you might strip the ratchet mechanism, depending on how tight the bolt/nut is. Get yourself a nice 18"-24" 1/2" drive pull handle and the appropriate 1/2" drive metric sockets, unless of course, you have access to a compressor and air tools!

Good Luck!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #5
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Haha yeaa sorry I did mean socket...and thanks for the advice, I think I'll do that since what I've heard about the tightness of that bolt is not good things...very veryyy tight if I've heard right

Old January 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Dan Kyle
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 1098 848 ZX10R GSXR1000

Just a tip, you can have a second person push hard on the rear brake to keep the sprocket from turning when you are trying to loosen it.

Be carfull on the balance of the bike when the person is pushing on the rear brake. Meaning do not let it fall over.
Dan Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #7
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Got the 27 mm sprocket and decided to use a small 8in breaker bar with the bike in 1st gear and someone holding the rear breaks. Bad idea...the breaker bar bent...its ok it was a cheap one. So I went and picked up a heavy duty 15in breaker bar and tried again. With the bike in 1st gear and the rear break firmly held the back wheel continued to spin. I put a piece of PVC pipe through the rear rim...am no weakling and I got to the point I thought the bike would either come off the rear stand or I'd pull a muscle...that thing just would not turn. I tried some WD40 just hoping it would losen things up and still nothing. Im pulling the right way(counterclockwise) yet its not budging. Any ideas im getting frustrated and Im not about to go out and buy a compressor and air tools .

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #8
kkim

Try putting a long piece of pipe over the end of the breaker bar and stand on the pipe. Try using a 2x4 through the swingarm and wheel. PVC pipe may be too soft.

Are you positive the locking washer is completely bent flat out of the way?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #9
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Yea the washer was completely flat. No 2x4 laying around but I figure wood would be just as soft as the PVC no? And there was no indent in the PVC pipe so I dont think that was the issue. Yea I think I'll try the pipe to get more leverage thanks for the tip I totally forgot about that.

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #10
kkim

Depends on the diameter and wall thickness of the pvc pipe.

Try the pipe over the breaker bar and stand on it, if you can.

Have you tried standing on the breaker bar?

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #11
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Name: Susan

Motorcycle(s): Gix

As far as what size ratchet, I'd heavily recommend air sized.
Erin_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #12
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Got another piece of PVC pipe and got it over the breaker bar and finaly got that thing off...almost flew into my chest. New problem though. The original sprocket had two rubber rings on either side of it...as seen in the first picture. The new sprocket didn't have any. Is this the O ring for our chain? I looked at the sprocket DIY and I have the same front sprocket as he does and his doesnt have a rubber ring either. Is it fine just to put it on like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0083.jpg (76.3 KB, 16 views)

Old January 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #13
kkim

You should be fine w/o the rubber on the front sprocket. Must be something with the stock sprockets. My after market JT doesn't have a rubber piece. Pay attention to which side of the new sprocket you face inwards... IIRC, it's supposed to be the side w/ the bigger "lip" at the center portion. Someone else please confirm or deny.

The O-rings for the chain is something entirely different.

Old January 12th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #14
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Kkim do me a favor and check the DIY on the sprocket swap...mine is faced exactly like the one shown in the picture...is this correct...well do YOU THINK this is correct

Old January 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #15
kkim

I thought from what I read the JT stamp was supposed to face inwards... I can't remember for sure, though. Best you let someone who has actually done a front sprocket swap give you a definitive answer. I have the parts sitting on the work bench and have not installed mine yet. Sorry.

Old January 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #16
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Well I went with what exactly was on the picture...just took it for a ride for about 10 min...first just around the block then out in the streets and it felt fine and it fit perfectly so im thinking(hoping) this is the way its supposed to be. If anyone finds out differently please let me know ASAPPPP