ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Another Chain Question

I have been reading the Kawasaki shop manual and read the part on changing chains. Seems that Kawa wants you to go through a ritual involving the swingarm, rear shock etc. Is there any reason that you can`t simply buy a 106 link O ring chain, use a chain breaker tool, attach the new to the old, and pull the whole thing through. Then you put in a master link or re-rivet the new chain where you broke it. Used to work on all motorcycles I have owned in the past. Can you enlighten me? Is there a reason Kawasaki specifies a continuous chain? Can O ring chains be spliced? This is my first experience with O ring chains.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #2
kkim

O ring chains can indeed be re riveted or a mater link installed.

Kawasaki uses a one piece chain under the theory that the master link is the weakest link.

On my old CBR bikes, they came with a one piece continuous chain. I would grind off the side plates on one of the links and use a O ring master link to replace it. That way, I could take off the chain for cleaning and or bike maintenance.

If you have a riveting tool, I don't see why adding a rivet type master link would compromise the chain. Besides, our bikes don't really have chain stretching power to start with. I used to use a regular O ring clip type master link on my CBR600 chains.

What Kawasaki recommends for changing chains is ridiculous, more dictated by the corporate lawyers than the engineers, I'd bet.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Kelly, Thanks a million. I had a feeling that Kawasaki was "Pole vaulting over mouse turds". I did not think there would be a problem with he proper tool. Never had a problem changing chains on the Norton. Needed feedback from someone in the know on these modern machines. Thanks. Doc.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote