ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 20th, 2017, 06:23 AM   #1
james250ninja
james250ninjette.newbie

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): 1986 ninja 250

Brand of coolant

I'm gonna flush my coolant.

Can I use coolant the people use for cars or does it have to be kawasaki or a specific motorcycle coolant.
james250ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 06:28 AM   #2
DirtyPelican
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiago

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Triumph Speed Triple

For the most part coolant is coolant. Unless you are on the track where they require certain types (in case it leaks on the track, its easier to clean up) I normally go with whatever I have put in the car. If youre looking for performance then some are better than others, but for the most part regular coolant will work.

Old July 20th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Just buy any premixed that's on sale, it's a lot easier that way no need to mix anything, or buy some distilled water, etc....

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Be sure to completely flush cooling system with distilled water. The mixing that's toxic is old-coolant of unknown type coming into contact with the new stuff. A LOT has changed in the past decade with coolant chemistries and many of them don't get along; old ethylene-glycol based IAT, newer propylene-glycols, OAT, 2EHA, G05, HOAT, etc. The manufacturer's claim of universal compatibility are simply lies. Dex-cool is one of the main reasons GM went bankrupt; payments from class-action lawsuits over that stuff was getting over $150-mil.

You should be OK as long as you completely flush out system of old fluid.

1. Drain as much as you can,

2. fill with distilled water and completely warm up bike so that thermostat opens and allows old coolant trapped in engine to escape.

3. Warm up bike until radiator fan kicks on, then you'll know for sure thermostat has opened.

4. drain again and fill with distilled water.

5. Repeat warm-up & drain until drained fluid is completely clear distilled water (usually about 3-4 cycles).

6. THEN and ONLY then, fill up with new coolant, pre-mixed or DIY dilution.

7. warm up with cap off to allow bubbles to escape. Blip throttle couple times to run water-pump faster. Add more coolant until level stops dropping and bubbles stop rising to top. Then screw cap on and shut off bike.

EDIT: Brand isn't as important as type of coolant. Go with a propylene-glycol coolant that's silicate & borate free.
A note on water-pump failures due to using auto-based silicated coolants.
http://gl180***********m/forums/archi...p/t-29487.html

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 20th, 2017 at 03:59 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 21st, 2017, 07:54 AM   #5
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
1. Drain as much as you can,

2. fill with distilled water and completely warm up bike so that thermostat opens and allows old coolant trapped in engine to escape.

3. Warm up bike until radiator fan kicks on, then you'll know for sure thermostat has opened.

4. drain again and fill with distilled water.

5. Repeat warm-up & drain until drained fluid is completely clear distilled water (usually about 3-4 cycles).

6. THEN and ONLY then, fill up with new coolant, pre-mixed or DIY dilution.

7. warm up with cap off to allow bubbles to escape. Blip throttle couple times to run water-pump faster. Add more coolant until level stops dropping and bubbles stop rising to top. Then screw cap on and shut off bike.
Eh, for me the easiest way is to just fill the radiator up as much as possible (squeezing the hoses helps get rid of air pockets), fill up the reservoir, go for a ride to warm it up, come back, let it cool down, and then just fill the reservoir back up if the level dropped any. Good to go!
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2017, 09:32 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Easy to overthink this.

To be honest, I filled the radiator on my street bike with distilled water (Pro tip: Walmart) and Water Wetter to meet spec for a track day a couple of years ago. Haven't changed it since. I suppose I'll flip back to regular coolant at end-of-season maintenance this year.

Bottom line: The manual tells you what you need to know. Follow it, and you're good.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2017, 10:01 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Easy to overthink this.

To be honest, I filled the radiator on my street bike with distilled water (Pro tip: Walmart) and Water Wetter to meet spec for a track day a couple of years ago. Haven't changed it since. I suppose I'll flip back to regular coolant at end-of-season maintenance this year.

Bottom line: The manual tells you what you need to know. Follow it, and you're good.
That's fine, as long as the bike is not sitting in temps 32F and below.

The reviews on Water Wetter are mixed. Some like the diesel version better. The regular version apparently contains some amounts of a silicate derivative.

Can't find conclusively that it does or doesn't prevent freezing, but I believe it does not.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2017, 10:57 AM   #8
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I just go with the simple and safe: stop by a Honda motorcycle dealership and buy a couple bottles of their Honda Pro HP motorcycle coolant. It's a no-worry way to go.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2017, 12:59 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Water-wetter improves thermal conductivity, but does nothing for boiling-point or freezing protection. Those temps remain the same as the base liquid. If you put it in water, that mixture fill freeze and boil at same points as water.

The Honda HP coolant is one of best on market. I use it in all my cars. After 3-years, I take a look and radiator's clean and shiny on inside! Not any of that white crusty stuff you see with other coolants after 3-years!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote