ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 9th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1
NinjaRap
ninjette.org member

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Is there a difference in these tires?

My current tires are shot and I need some new ones. I'm looking at some BT-45's on motorcycle-superstore.com. They have the front tire I need in a BT-45, but for the rear they just have the BT-45V in the size I need.
Is there a difference between BT-45 and BT-45V's? If there is, is it okay the mix the two?
Thanks, and it's for a 2008 Ninja, btw.
NinjaRap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I think the V is a speed rating and they are actually the same tire. Someone will chime in with more knowledge though
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3
NinjaRap
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I know it's a speed rating. I just want to make sure it's okay to have a front tire that's not V-rated, matched with a rear that is, before I go ahead and make the purchase.

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRap View Post
Yeah, I know it's a speed rating. I just want to make sure it's okay to have a front tire that's not V-rated, matched with a rear that is, before I go ahead and make the purchase.
Well do you plan on having the bike go 149 mph? (If so do it on the back wheel)

As long as the front is R or higher it should be fine
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5
NinjaRap
ninjette.org member

It's an H rating. Is that fine?

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #6
NinjaRap
ninjette.org member

And I just looked at the speed rating chart. Yep. Looks like I'm fine. I'm gonna make the purchase.

Old April 9th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8
NinjaRap
ninjette.org member

Hello, I'm Stupid. Tire issues.

Well, I'm an idiot.

I used this as a guide and didn't realize until now -- the day my tires got to my door -- that I ordered the wrong size. I have a 2008, and apparently the sizes listed in that page are for previous generations.

I only used it because it was posted in another thread on here about tire sizes. Still, my own fault.. I should have double-checked the size of the tires already on my bike. Oh well.

I post this only as a disclaimer to others: Don't be stupid like me.

But since I have your attention, I orderd the BT-45's off motorcycle-superstore. I'll wait for the refund before I re-order. But I noticed they had two versions for the front tire in the size I actually need: 110-70-17, which is an amazingly high price of $154, and 110-70-17 G, which is closer to $70-80. What's up with that?

Also, I called up a motorcycle shop in town and they said they only mount and balance tires they sell. Is this common? I'd gone through them initially, but their mark-up is nuts. Any suggestions?

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
the G model is the one that came stock on the suzuki gs 500. It is exactly the same as the other one, I have the G set on my bike right now, runs perfect, wait no it doesnt cuz I crashed...
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #10
NinjaRap
ninjette.org member

But not the cause of your crash, I hope?

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Uh no that was a dumb teenage whore haha
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #13
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRap View Post
Also, I called up a motorcycle shop in town and they said they only mount and balance tires they sell. Is this common? I'd gone through them initially, but their mark-up is nuts. Any suggestions?
If you have a cyclegear nearby, they'll take care of you. Some of the smaller shops tend to be picky. The one by me started giving me crap as soon as I walked through the door, asking where I got the tires and saying that the reason tires are usually so cheap online is because they're old. (Mine weren't) and said that they only charge 10% above cost so I should buy from him next time.

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #14
NinjaRap
ninjette.org member

Yeah, that's the vibe I got from this guy. We have a few other places in town, hopefully I'll find one that will work for me. I mean, I just want a set of tires mounted and balanced, if they are worried about liability, I'll sign a damn waiver.

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

It may be too late since you already ordered, but I know on a car you are not supposed to mix speed ratings on the tires. Even if you don't ever come close to the maximum speed the tire is rated for, the different ratings will handle differently. Not sure if this applies to a bike.

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #16
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
It may be too late since you already ordered, but I know on a car you are not supposed to mix speed ratings on the tires. Even if you don't ever come close to the maximum speed the tire is rated for, the different ratings will handle differently. Not sure if this applies to a bike.
More important, if you rotate your tires properly, you will never have to buy just a pair of tires. People who do that **** drive me nuts.

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #17
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninjette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
More important, if you rotate your tires properly, you will never have to buy just a pair of tires. People who do that **** drive me nuts.
more importantly a bike has a contact patch of tread like the size of your palm so issues like that actualy matter, meanwhile you could drive a car on ANY tires that fit on the whees and hold air and have tread (or at least even a layer of rubber over the cords) and not impact the day to day driving/stopping abilities of the vehicle outside of load capacity and handling in bad weather. The speed rating on a car is mostly negligible as the handling characteristics don't matter to most drivers on the street, and most used cars ride around on mismatched tires. You're lucky if you see anything that isn't a new car on a matched set of tires really... people are cheap, and don't rotate.

A bike needs the best of conditions for tirs and traction even in normal driving situations so a matching front and rear are probably much more important. A front tire that will grip leaned over halfway towards dragging a knee at 40mph paired with a rear that won't... probably bad times. I would certainly want matching front and rear tires on a bike. On the car... meh
Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #18
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland View Post
more importantly a bike has a contact patch of tread like the size of your palm so issues like that actualy matter, meanwhile you could drive a car on ANY tires that fit on the whees and hold air and have tread (or at least even a layer of rubber over the cords) and not impact the day to day driving/stopping abilities of the vehicle outside of load capacity and handling in bad weather. The speed rating on a car is mostly negligible as the handling characteristics don't matter to most drivers on the street, and most used cars ride around on mismatched tires. You're lucky if you see anything that isn't a new car on a matched set of tires really... people are cheap, and don't rotate.

A bike needs the best of conditions for tirs and traction even in normal driving situations so a matching front and rear are probably much more important. A front tire that will grip leaned over halfway towards dragging a knee at 40mph paired with a rear that won't... probably bad times. I would certainly want matching front and rear tires on a bike. On the car... meh
Yeah the only reason it bothers me on a car is because there's no reason for it, not because of how it might affect the handling because there are so many other factors involved there. But on bike it's common to replace the rear tire much more often than the front just because it wears so much faster. And you often just can't get matching tires in the sizes you need, especially on the pregens. So I don't see it as a tragedy for them to be mismatched on a bike at all.

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #19
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I get my car tires from Discount Tire. They rotate them for free for life. Even fix flats for you for free. Totally worth any extra I'm paying compared to online prices.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote