ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r

First crash. I never thought it'd happen

Just got back from my first crash. My friends thought I should experience a canyon and take it slow, but apparently slow in a CBR1000/CBR600 is different than slow in a 250. About an hour in, I start getting my groove, taking the turns and trying to keep up (50mph on the turns. not super sharp turns though so they were alright). some tunnels, some debris, some dangerous moments, but they were fine. taking a good turn really is a great feeling.

well one turn, i took too wide. ended up running off the road into the mountain. forgot to pull clutch, so the gravel jerked my throttle, which jerked by bike. rode up the hillside for a few feet, then blacked out.

woke up lying on the opposite side of the road. the 250 is on its stand and everybody's kind of huddled around it. didn't have the money for full leathers so i bought a cheap jacket (think cycle gear brand). jacket rode up, lower back is bloody. pulled my groin so i can't walk. sprained thumb. still have a concussion and a headache.

one of the guys fixed the bike up a little and we rode back home.

damage to the bike (that i could see):
bent left handle bar
scraped/broke left bottom fairing
broke rear left fairing
integrated tail light broke (MOTHER*** JUST PUT THAT IN LAST WEEKEND)
bent clutch lever
broke off kick stand safety thing
tons of scrapes on the paint.

overall, i am very sad 3 weeks of riding and babying her and BAM. i parked her and i covered her and said my goodbyes. once i can walk again, i'll assess the damage and see how much it costs (i'm in college, so $300 is like, a month of rent/groceries)

Edit: and shower is a complete ***** too. i'm just bitter at everything right now.

Last futzed with by coolcatjames; July 25th, 2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: additional comment i wanted to make
coolcatjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Don't worry about the bike. It is now an official track bike. Get well then go to the track and you won't have to worry about a few more scrapes and scratches as you learn to ride the beast to max performance.

Remember when everyone on the forum said that the 250 will go around corners better than a 600 or 1000? Well, it must have been your fault for going down (the bike would have made the turn). Harsh statement but true.

Don't forget girls love scares (circumcisions don't count; although I always ask if they want to see it).

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #3
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

Glad to hear you're okay!

Isn't that the worst? ..breaking something you JUST did to your bike
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #4
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatjames View Post
My friends thought I should experience a canyon and take it slow, but apparently slow in a CBR1000/CBR600 is different than slow in a 250.
Why in the hell would your friends think you should experience a canyon when you've been riding for only a couple weeks? Which canyon did you end up going to? Only canyon I can think of at the moment with tunnels is ACH and if thats where you crashed, then you shouldn't of gone. Its pretty technical and for you to be going 50mph. I don't take new riders to the canyons unless I am confident that they will be okay and I ALWAYS tell them to ride their pace and not try to keep up since we all wait for each other at the view points/rest ares. I tell everyone that. Never try to keep up with riders who are more skilled because you will crash. I feel really bad for you and hate to see others go down. I really hope you recover fast coolcatjames.

Just take it slow next time you go until you're familiar with the canyon. Bikes can always be fixed/replaced man. Live and learn dude.. here's to a speedy recovery
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Skid
troll bait

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250EF

First off, I'm glad you made it out OK, no damage you won't recover from.

I went to my first canyon ride a couple of weeks ago, and the first thing they told me is to go at my own pace. I went real slow at first and gradually picked up the pace within my comfort zone. I think you should heed that advice next time you go up in the canyons, and as they say keep the shiny side up.

Get better soon and hope you get back on two wheels!
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toua70 View Post
Which canyon did you end up going to? y
They took me to the 150 -> 33 route. It wasn't bad in the beginning. I fell on the 33, about 5-6 turns past the second tunnel.

And yea, points taken. Once i'm back, I'll fix up the bike and take it slower, hopefully work up the skills to not embarrass myself on a track, and then we'll see. I walked around the turn after I crashed, and it didn't seem that bad. Just a regular turn. I should've had it, but i dunno.

I wish my first crash was a lowside instead of a ride-into-a-mountain. Hours of watching rnickeymouse on youtube doesn't prepare you for the real thing.

Old July 25th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #7
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

Quote:
They took me to the 150 -> 33 route. It wasn't bad in the beginning. I fell on the 33, about 5-6 turns past the second tunnel.

And yea, points taken. Once i'm back, I'll fix up the bike and take it slower, hopefully work up the skills to not embarrass myself on a track, and then we'll see. I walked around the turn after I crashed, and it didn't seem that bad. Just a regular turn. I should've had it, but i dunno.

I wish my first crash was a lowside instead of a ride-into-a-mountain. Hours of watching rnickeymouse on youtube doesn't prepare you for the real thing.
You'll be okay Everyone crashes. I crashed my gsxr at over 100mph (being extremely stupid) and was very fortunate to walk away from it the same day. Paramedics came by, checked me out and said i was okay.. just scrapes. My gears really saved me that day plus I was younger and stupid. But like I said, live and learn. Always go your pace and not others.. don't ever try to keep up with experienced riders.. Also, Its a constant learning experience. I've been only riding 4-5 years and I still learn new things on a daily basis.
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Skid
troll bait

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250EF

Quote:
Once i'm back, I'll fix up the bike and take it slower, hopefully work up the skills to not embarrass myself on a track, and then we'll see.
A lot of fatalities I believe are attributed to this. Young guys trying to show each other up, riding beyond their limits. You won't become a great rider overnight, so don't feel embarrassed of going slow. Let them talk **** all they want for now, you'll get there eventually. Count yourself lucky not becoming a statistic, and always put safety first.
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hope you learned something from it. maybe we should have a get-together-and-fix-james'-bike-back-up party

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Just got back from my first crash.
Sorry, James.

Evidently my post on your other thread was too late:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...9&postcount=13

Wish you a quick recovery.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #11
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Glad you were able to get home and walk away.

It does unfortunately happen to too many of us. The thing you need to do from this is learn. Don't beat yourself up - that's what we're here

I put mine down on the third ride - after I had spent the night before cleaning it up. Let your mind heal and get on again but take it slow. I would recommend riding by yourself for a while. Other riders often support us, but I felt pressured to push myself to keep up. It's not worth it.

Finally, if you haven't already look at taking a MSF class it's a great foundation to build the rest of your safe riding career on!
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #12
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Sorry, James.

Evidently my post on your other thread was too late:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...9&postcount=13

Wish you a quick recovery.
Thanks for the post in the other thread. I actually read all the links before I went out this morning, but in the heat of the moment, I was just staring at the mountainside that I was going to crash into. I should've stayed calm and leaned, and I probably could've gotten out of it alright.

I read all the input/advice that members here post, just sometimes when I ride, its hard to keep thinking of everything and paying attention to the road.

Old July 25th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #13
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
hope you learned something from it. maybe we should have a get-together-and-fix-james'-bike-back-up party
+1! Lol. I'll post of up pictures tomorrow, but mainly I just need to know what parts I need to replace. I can probably find DIY threads on most of the stuff.

That said, if you guys wanna come up to SB some day...I'm not gonna stop ya

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #14
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

First crash and you walked/drove away, it was a good crash.

"First crash. I never thought it'd happen", now you know it can that's always a good thing.

Only thing I would say is understand what you did wrong so you don't do it again, be honest with yourself when you analysis the crash.

PS. chicks don't dig scars, the bad ones make them cringe.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
.........I read all the input/advice that members here post, just sometimes when I ride, its hard to keep thinking of everything and paying attention to the road.
That is the exact reason for which so much practice and time is recommended and needed for new riders.

These are not skills and reflexes to be rationalized, simple because they aren't natural to human beings.

Our brains are wired to do, in survival situations, exactly what is bad for motorcycling.

Excessive speed, and the lack of space illusion that it creates, is the number one trigger of the wrong moves; therefore, new riders need to increase riding speed methodically and at a comfortable pace.

As much as possible, try staying away from groups, bad weather and heavy traffic during the first weeks of practice, while you develop the proper automatic reactions.

Also, read books and watch videos about street and sport riding; they help much.

I know you feel bad; just want you to learn from this accident.

I'm too far to join the helping group.

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #16
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Pics or it didn't happen

Here's the damage that I can see. Anybody have spares. Just ordered a new tail light :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0481.jpg (113.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0482.jpg (95.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0485.jpg (97.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (131.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (103.2 KB, 22 views)

Old July 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #17
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

So very sorry to read about your misfortune brother. Sh!t happens, learn from it and strive to make yourself better. Bike's can always be fixed.
Talking about fixing your baby, I have a stock left handlebar, and if your shifter is damaged I have the entire rearset as well. Holler @ me
Get well soon.

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #18
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i hope you get back on the road soon.

if the frame isnt bent,
your bike is in better condition than mine after my 50mph wreck.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #19
seanshawnS
ninjette.org member

Name: SHAWN

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250r(2012PR)

Glad to hear you'll be saddling up again once you're healed.

Always ride your own ride. Today I was going too fast, mainly because some jackass in a mustang was tailing me too closely. For awhile I just kept increasing speed, until I realized just how uncomfortable I was at the pace being set, pulled off to the shoulder, let him go by.

But I get it. I'm new, only 1500 miles under my belt and the ninja corners so sweetly it's hard not to get overconfident.
seanshawnS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #20
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

I did warn ya about 154, didn't think about 33

Glad you didn't end up departing the road on the downward side of the mountain! Don't be bitter, you've picked the best place on the planet to go to college. You'll be better and the bike will eventually be even better than before.

Hey, by the way, is the Great Fish Enterprise Co. still open? (It's been a decade since I've been to the hometown).
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #21
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
Hey, by the way, is the Great Fish Enterprise Co. still open? (It's been a decade since I've been to the hometown).
Ohhh yeaa, Enterprise Fish Co. Best happy hour in the city, and I'd assume it was pretty good back then too huh?

Old July 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #22
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

The process of taking it apart is a horrible feeling. But I've noticed a few things and I've come across some problems that hopefully someone can help me with:

1. My rear seat is stuck. I think when I fell, it got jammed there. Should I just cut it out at the plastic and order a new rear cowl and lock?

2. My rear frame is slightly bent. I don't it matters too much when it comes to placing fairings and the tail light, but it still bugs me. Ideas?

3. The black plastics around the tail light are scratched. Does anybody know a good place to pick up spares? I would rather not go to a Kawa dealer. They probably charge up the ***.

4. In taking off the left handlebar, the metal screw head is starting to strip and the bar end is not moving. I'm scared to continue as I've never done this before, nor did I plan to this soon.

This is a SUPER downer feeling. Its like, somebody ripped the fun out of my world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.jpg (105.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0490.jpg (73.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0492.jpg (104.5 KB, 11 views)

Old July 26th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #23
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
Ohhh yeaa, Enterprise Fish Co. Best happy hour in the city, and I'd assume it was pretty good back then too huh?
I didn't make it that far for drinks usually; when I was an undergrad the UCEN had a pub in its center.

For food, it was worthy of inclusion in print:

Quote:
Originally Posted by So long, and Thanks for All the Fish
In Santa Barbara they stopped at a fish restaurant in what seemed to be a
converted warehouse.
Fenchurch had red mullet and said it was delicious.
Arthur had a swordfish steak and said it made him angry.
He grabbed a passing waitress by the arm and berated her.
"Why's this fish so bloody good?" he demanded, angrily.
"Please excuse my friend," said Fenchurch to the startled waitress. "I think
he's having a nice day at last."
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #24
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

use some heat on those bar ends, they are secured with loctite from the factory.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #25
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I feel really bad for you! I hope everything is sorted out soon though!

Old July 27th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #26
Harrison89
ninjette.org member

Name: Harrison

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Learn and live man I went down my first day trying to keep up. Ive stayed patient and keep up with my buds on the 600's. Best thing I learned was even on new roads we go on I go at my pace and they can wait on me.

Showers will be a Bi*& for a while. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Harrison89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #27
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

"I never thought it would happen" is what they all say...but it still happens to the best of us.
Dress for the slide not the ride...

Old July 27th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #28
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

I hope your CBR1000/CBR600 friends are willing to help.

Quote:
1. My rear seat is stuck. I think when I fell, it got jammed there. Should I just cut it out at the plastic and order a new rear cowl and lock?
2. My rear frame is slightly bent. I don't it matters too much when it comes to placing fairings and the tail light, but it still bugs me. Ideas?
Both are related, I believe.
The deformed frame may have jammed the lock.
Apply some force and keep trying before cutting anything.
Use two strong pieces of wood or metal as levers (apply each torque in opposite directions) to twist it back to original shape.

Quote:
4. In taking off the left handlebar, the metal screw head is starting to strip and the bar end is not moving.
As posted above, apply heat to those bolts and use a tool in perfect condition.

Quote:
This is a SUPER downer feeling. Its like, somebody ripped the fun out of my world.
"If you are going through hell, keep going" Winston Churchill

Old July 28th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #29
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Don't worry about the bike. It is now an official track bike. Get well then go to the track and you won't have to worry about a few more scrapes and scratches as you learn to ride the beast to max performance.

Remember when everyone on the forum said that the 250 will go around corners better than a 600 or 1000? Well, it must have been your fault for going down (the bike would have made the turn). Harsh statement but true.

Don't forget girls love scares (circumcisions don't count; although I always ask if they want to see it).
Well at least they cant call you a complete prick for offering
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #30
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

very sorry you wrecked ur bike, as everyone else has said, glad ur ok. i dont think everyone should start on a ninja 250, i think everyone should start on a pregen ninja 250, that way when something like this happens ur not out 3-4k. you have alot of work ahead of you, but you will appreciate and respect your bike along with riding in general once ur done. it took me 2 months and 40$ to build my first ninja 250 pregen (scrap bikes where given to me) after all that work i treated and respected that bike like it was the 636 of my dreams. i think alot of people should do this, it realy helps a rider get a grasp on eveything.

get well soon man, and next time ur buddies wanna take u on a mountain, shoot em with a paint ball gun >=)

Old July 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #31
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Same reason I had my first crash, I was trying to keep up with an agitated expert rider(He got pissed because a guy cut in front of him and he challenged him on the twisties, I didn't know that was the case, so I tried my best to keep-up with him because he was the lead, I rode over my limits, scrapping my footpegs every turn but in the end my kick stand got caught and I was thrown in the air and then end-up hitting the pavement). I'm blessed though, cause I've been active here in the forums. And one thing this forums has told me was to always dress-up for the crash.

Lesson: Always ride your own ride. I now have more respect for my bike now, I never go over 80% of what I can do(Sometimes I need to though). And I've only scrapped my foot-pegs once this year (I learned to ride more "correctly").
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #32
Elloelvi
ninjette.org member

Name: Elvi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Ninja ZX6r, NSR50, XR50r

Aww man, I'm so sorry. This sounds horrifying to me. I always hear the worst stories without full gear. How did you heal up?

Old August 30th, 2015, 12:52 AM   #33
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
crashes happen to everyone.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #34
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elloelvi View Post
Aww man, I'm so sorry. This sounds horrifying to me. I always hear the worst stories without full gear. How did you heal up?
I think he's over it. It has been 3+ years ago.

Old September 24th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #35
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #36
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
There are 2 types of bikers.

1. Those that have crashed.

2. Those that are going to crash.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #37
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

^^^ haven't crashed yet, hope to never, glad you're ok tho bro, sorry about your bike

Old September 24th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #38
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
There are 2 types of bikers.

1. Those that have crashed.

2. Those that are going to crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXecuterXx2 View Post
^^^ haven't crashed yet, hope to never, glad you're ok tho bro, sorry about your bike
There are a lucky few who don't crash but that requires a good bit of luck combined with a very safety conscientious mindset combined with the decision making to go learn how to properly control their bikes with the knowledge that they will then have a larger safety margin by knowing how to properly ride the bike in all situations

Generally speaking very few people who hop on bikes have that mentality and even the ones that do don't always have the luck to not get smacked by a car or an animal

for the record, I am not one of those lucky/safe people. If you want to go fast at any point get to the track, it's a lot safer

Old September 24th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #39
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
My only crashes are at the track, pushing to become faster. Becoming faster for racing inevitably leads to crashing.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 24th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #40
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
it is my hope that I never crash outside of a track environment ever again

not riding remotely fast on the streets helps with that but there's always that bit of luck