ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 30th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #1
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

My friend needs help

A friend of mine who also has a 250 is having some sort of dilemma.

But first an introduction: I got a friend of mine converted into to a ninja 250er because I let him ride my bike for a couple of run. He liked it and ended trading his cruiser to a 250. He got the bike last fall/winter everything was okay, but he wasn't quite happy because the stock ninja seemed different compared to my bike. I did a couple of things with my ninja, I raised the needles and took the snorkel out, changed the air filter and the exhaust, but the main thing that brings my ninja to life was the raised needles and the snorkle delete so I offered that I would do that to his ninja + change his oil, and he was very happy with the outcome. But now there's a problem.

Everything was fine until he had his ninja for its first service "600 service"

From what he's saying, he got the bike back from the dealership but it seemed messed up. Throttle response was way off, and the bikes dies while idling(It's summer! not winter, that's unacceptable). He said the dealership changed the oil, adjusted the cable play and the idle.

He returned it back, and now the throttle response seems to be okay, but there seems to be a problem with the RPM when it's coming down from a high rev

The stealership is stating that the carbs are dirty. But I told him everything was fine with the bike untill they touched it. and also he just got the bike last winter, and he was riding the bike all winter so there's no possible way that carbs would get dirty.(But I might be wrong)

I was just having a conversation with him earlier:
"Is your bike okay now? or still having issues?

I got her to wind up to 12k and was 70 in 3rd but coming down is still slow on the RPM... and i rode a 800cc Suzuki Volusia" (I think he's saying that he rode a Volusia before, so he knows what slow is and he's pretty sure there's something wrong with the ninja)

he's a very close friend of mine, more like a brother to me and, I want to help him out, but I don't know where to start. What should I look for? what should I ask him? based from this what can you guys say about whats happening?
Thanks
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
edit:

sounds like pilot jet is clogged. maybe the stealer ship put bad gas in to try to get you to let them clean the carbs. put some seafoam through it and if it doesnt get better clean the carbs out. i wouldnt go back to that dealership. they seem to be trying to milk a cow for all its worth. i would suggest writing reviews about your experience. shops read reviews. a good shop will do just about anything to make it right. if you brought it in working well and they gave it back working like ****, they did not take proper precautions and did not test their work properly.

Old July 31st, 2012, 02:32 AM   #3
kaiserz

Thanks alex, I will get the seafoam as soon as I can. any brand favorites?

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:05 AM   #4
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Thanks alex, I will get the seafoam as soon as I can. any brand favorites?
Seafoam is the brand.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 08:07 AM   #6
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

Seafoam can be bought from kragens auto parts or autozone for 9-15 bucks
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 12:56 PM   #7
kaiserz

Thanks guys! I'm gonna get one right now

Old July 31st, 2012, 02:45 PM   #8
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Seafoam is the lazy way of hoping you fix the problem. It should never need to be used in a properly maintained bike.

You can waste your $$$ on some Seafoam and hope it fixes the problem, or you could take the carbs off again and see what the problem is.

Sounds to me that the mechanics at the stealership probably tried to undo what you did to the carbs. That's why you don't take a modified motorcycle or car to a dealearship.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM   #9
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Seafoam is the lazy way of hoping you fix the problem. It should never need to be used in a properly maintained bike.

You can waste your $$$ on some Seafoam and hope it fixes the problem, or you could take the carbs off again and see what the problem is.

Sounds to me that the mechanics at the stealership probably tried to undo what you did to the carbs. That's why you don't take a modified motorcycle or car to a dealearship.
That is indeed a possibility, but I know that those guys are lazy as Sh*t and would not even dare touch the carbs, because that means they have to take the tank out, and if you do that you have to take the plastics out too. I'm pretty sure they just spent an hour with the bike. But then again I might be wrong, if the seafoam doesn't fix it, a local forum friend of mine said to take it to his place so he can listen to it, sync the carbs, check for vacuum leaks , if that doesn't work he will then take the carbs apart(which is a pain). To be honest I don't trust that dealership, I've been there once, and I was gonna have my ninja serviced over there, but the customer service was really bad, the "Manager" was an @ss hole, so I packed everything and looked elsewhere. I was lucky to find a local "race" shop 30mins away from my place, I went over there, everybody was helpful, I chatted with one of their techs we talked about the 250 and BAM they got a loyal customer.