ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Noticed slightly more vibration today...

So was riding to work and running late. Traffic was light and usually no 5-0 on main highways here so i was averaging around 80-85mph. About 1 mile from my exit just on a straight, i thought i noticed the vibration through the bars from the bike get slightly worse out of no where for no apparent reason. Nothing crazy, I immediately slowed down to speed limit, and debated pulling over, tryed to see if it was different pavement causing it and then Thinking well even if i pulled over i wouldnt be able to do much unless it was crazy obvious which i doubted and figured i'm close to work just take it easy get to work and take it from there.

So continued to work, no change in vibration from first change, i was trying to listen for abnormal sounds ect... but couldn't notice much. bike seemed to handle fine.

Got to work, but again was late, so did a quick looked and wiggled some things but could not see anything wrong with front end.

Will look at it better when i go to leave. Thinking it could be engine related? IDK, could be in my head?

Any thoughts? 2012 3600 miles, last oil change 300 miles ago everything looked good.

thanks in advance
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I would check the tires first (pressure, foreign objects, cuts, etc.) and will lubricate the chain next.

Vibrations from chassis and final drive are related to bike's speed.

Vibrations from engine are related to rpm's.

Gear switching will determine what is what.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I would check the tires first (pressure, foreign objects, cuts, etc.) and will lubricate the chain next.

Vibrations from chassis and final drive are related to bike's speed.

Vibrations from engine are related to rpm's.

Gear switching will determine what is what.
Good thinking

thanks

Old March 19th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Rode home, thinking it is engine related as i notice it when rpm's are higher regardless of speed. Again it is a subtle vibration boarder line normal

not sure what to look at.

Old March 19th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a bolt is probably loose or fell out

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
didn't notice anything this morning on way to work.

So thinking it might have something to do with carbs/jetting air fuel ratio ect...

Yesterday started out a little chilly but was warming up quick on way to work + i had it running steady at 10.5k rpms for about 15 minutes straight before i noticed change in vibration. This morning was pretty chilly low 30's and the bike ran like it normally does. I have have been riding in cold temps pretty consistently and that is what i am used to so maybe change in temp caused something with carb ect... to change. IDK?

Time will tell as weather starts to warm up. I have all parts to do full exhaust mod, jetting ect... just need time to do it so with any luck this should be non issue soon.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Altitude, air temperature, and humidity are big factors that will affect how an
engine will run. Air density increases as air gets colder. This means that there are more oxygen molecules in the same space when the air is cold. When
the temperature drops, the engine will run leaner (because of all those extra air molecules) and more fuel will have to be added to compensate. When the
air temperature gets warmer, the engine will run richer (because of less air molecules) and less fuel will be needed. An engine that is jetted at 32 degrees Fahrenheit may run poorly when the temperature reaches 90 Fahrenheit.

Some of those days you've had in the 50's and 60's, your bike would have run a little richer and the engine resonate differently as well. Believe it or not a bike will run better when it is a little leaner than normal (AFRs below 14.7:1)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote