ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #1
totaled
ninjette.org member

Name: Carl

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250-SOLD

Sputtering and no speed

Alright, so this happened this past weekend on our Baton Rouge group ride. When I went out to start my bike Sat. morning, it would crank and crank and crank but wouldn't fire. Then it finally did, so I put some gas in it that I had in my trunk (turns out not to be much at all) and leave for the ride. Bike runs fine all the way there, and runs great when we leave the meet up spot. I ran out of gas on the interstate, and so I managed to limp it down the shoulder while my buddy went and got me some gas from the gas station a mile away. After I got gas in it, it would fire, stay running, but when I would twist the throttle, it would rev to about 2.3k and bog down, and sometimes die. Then for the next 15 miles it would not get on the gas. I would start out going, then it would rev to 3k, then in a little bit it would rev to 4k, then to 6k, and after 6k it was fine. This would happen at the next 4-5 stop/starts. But then after that it ran fine, good throttle response, good accel, no problems with it. Did it just take that long for the fuel to recirculate through the system? Any suggestions on what I should do? It seems to be running fine now so the only thing I can think is that it had no gas anywhere in the system? Help? TIA.

Old September 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Hmmmm... Sounds like maybe when it ran out it may have sucked up some trash from the tank into the carbs. Once the trash cleared... bike runs fine.

It's generally not a good idea to let bikes or cars for that matter run low or out of fuel. Never seems to end well.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #3
totaled
ninjette.org member

Well yeah I figured its not a good idea. I didn't do it on purpose.... didn't think about the trash from the carbs. Thanks for that.

Old September 20th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You should have put the petcock on PRI ( for about 1 min or so) after you ran out of gas and refilled it. Sounds like very little gas was in the carb bowls along with some air in the system.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #5
totaled
ninjette.org member

I actually did do that, I guess I just didn't leave it in prime long enough?

Old September 20th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Monkey Wrench Cycles
Motorcycle repair

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja ZX6-RR, '08 GY6 scooter for wife, '02 Shadow ACE, '05 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Hmmmm... Sounds like maybe when it ran out it may have sucked up some trash from the tank into the carbs. Once the trash cleared... bike runs fine.

It's generally not a good idea to let bikes or cars for that matter run low or out of fuel. Never seems to end well.
+1 I think it probly sucked some trash up into the carbs. You would be amazed at how much trash is in the fuel straight from the pump...

www.monkeywrenchmotorcycles.com
Monkey Wrench Cycles is offline   Reply With Quote