ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 7th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #1
gatoatigrado
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nicholas

Motorcycle(s): gatoatigrado

Anyone in the Berkeley, CA willing to teach me some basic mechanics skills?

Hi all,

I have a 2006 EX250F, and have decided to do some of the 5k checkup myself for experience. I have an issue as well I will be investigating: the right tailpipe seems to emit very small amounts of smoke after riding (it doesn't seem noticeable when the engine is running full speed).

I will pay you for your time; I'm a student so I can't pay you a lot on the spot, but am willing to pay around $25 / hour, max of $200, for your experience (I want to do all of the physical work, if possible). Please feel free to make offers plus or minus depending on your experience, and how long you think it will take.

I'll be doing this in a little while -- I'm ordering some basic tools, and will need to find someone to borrow the repair manual and valve adjustment tools from (post).

Nicholas — ntung at ntung — https://ntung.com — CS major @ UC Berkeley
gatoatigrado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #2
kkim

have you read the DIYs on what is involved for what you're planning to do?

basic tools are a necessity, of course. I recommend Craftsman hand tool sets when they are on sale at Sears.

I'm pretty sure if you look around you will be able to find a software copy of a service manual.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #3
gatoatigrado
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nicholas

Motorcycle(s): gatoatigrado

I'm mostly looking at faq.ninja250.org . I can't seem to find the service manuals online; if anyone has them, please PM me. I already have the older model service manual, and -2007 supplemental manual, but I think there's a service manual for the -2007 EX250's.

Thanks for the help.
gatoatigrado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoatigrado View Post
I'm mostly looking at faq.ninja250.org . I can't seem to find the service manuals online; if anyone has them, please PM me. I already have the older model service manual, and -2007 supplemental manual, but I think there's a service manual for the -2007 EX250's.

Thanks for the help.
if there is (which I doubt) there will not be any significant changes as far as maintenance procedures and/or specs. If you have the older version service manual, use that.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #5
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for. When you say "Basic" I interpret that to mean that you currently have NO mechanical skills. The fact that you say that you have NO tools and need to buy some indicates that this may be what you meant. If that is the case, I strongly advise you to enroll in a motorcycle/auto maintenance shop class at your local junior college. They may not be working on a Ninja, but at least you'll get the basic skills out of the way.

But if you do have the basic skills, you can look at the various DIY FAQ's on the net. Most of them are far better than the shop manual. I have only owned my Ninja since early September (first motorcycle ever) and I had no problem following the FAQ to adjust my valves, lubing the clutch cable, lubing the chain, changing the tires, balancing the tires, and aligning the rear tire.

You probably wont be able to work as fast as a pro, but if you can spare a weekend with it in pieces, you should be able to get it all done. Perhaps you should just start with the simple stuff and then get more complicated as you grow more skills.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #6
altomista
Evil Mad Scientist

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2006 EX250F6FL, 1986 ZX600A2, 1975 Honda CB550

If you're willng to come down to San Jose, I can help you out. I'd come up to Berkeley, but my current schedule won't allow for any mobile work. Send me a PM if you're interested and what else you would like to do.

Avatar created by J.J. McCullough and taken from Wikipedia's Mad Scientist entry.
altomista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #7
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I know it's an old thread, but if you're willing to pay, there are probably some vocational schools in your area that have courses on small engine repair and stuff like that. Would probably be really good idea for you!
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote