Notices

Old February 11th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #41
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I've seen many a person couldn't control walking... Your argument is invalid

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old February 11th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #42
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
My point was not everyone starting out to ride is a broke kid and certainly not in this case. If someone is obviously starting out smart to learn they don't need a financial Lesson from you.
Maybe not, but it's safe to assume that the person may want to save some money... since for 99% of us $5,000 is a lot of money to be spent on a toy. if you read carefully through this then you would realize that when I said that I had no idea he was a multi millionaire. I recommend everyone buy used, you can find a used ninja 300 with ABS for 4,000 on CL with 2,000 miles and runs like a champ... no problems. I think 99% of new riders should start with that opposed to a brand new $5,400 ABS ninja 300... because new riders make more mistakes when it comes to the bike... no one can argue that. It's fact. It's why so many ninja 250's are dropped, because learners start out on them. As for the other 1% like the multi million dollar friend, sure they can clearly afford to spend the extra.. hell, by the way it sounds this guy probably spends that amount of money on someone for Christmas.

If $1,400 extra dollars is literally chump change to someone, then by all means they should get the more expensive bike. There are two main reasons why people buy small bikes, 1. They are forgiving/ easy to learn 2. They are cheap (cheap to buy, cheap to fix, cheap on gas...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
And Danny, I know you have good intentions, but have you ever ridden a supersport? it's not like they just suddenly kill you, you're in control the whole time.
Nope, I haven't. But I am smart enough to know that supersport bikes are no joke. They will keep your ass in check and I believe 99% of people on here will agree with me, of course no one will openly come out to defend me because let's face it, i'm not exactly liked around here by most. But it's true, most people share the same thought as me. I can look around the forum and find a million posts about why not to start on a 600 and one of those reasons is that it is super unforgiving and one thing that makes it unforgiving is the fact that it has incredibly powerful brakes that are designed to stop you from 165mph to 0 as quick as possible. Yes, you may be technically in control the whole time, but that doesn't mean mistakes never happen... If that were true then everyone would just start on 600's and the ninja 250 wouldn't have a market.

I wish I could find it, but there was a video on youtube that is someone who just bought their cbr600rr and they were on the highway. They just upgraded from a ninja 250 after like a year of riding. There was traffic and he noticed kinda late, not a big deal, he just needed to tap the brake a little, plenty of time to react. But he grabbed it the same way you would grab a 250 brake and he ended up locking up the front and going down on the highway doing like 70. These Dual piston brakes are POWERFUL they are NOTHING compared to the ninja 250's.

By the way you don't need to ride a supersport to know that they are dangerous, but hell, I'm sure someone who's ridden both could explain their thoughts on a newbie on a 600. And if no one wants to chime in since you know, it would be my point you would be defending, then i'd be happy to link you to one of the 1.8 trillion posts/videos/articles explaining why they are dangerous and only for experienced riders.

Old February 11th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #43
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
But I am smart enough to know that supersport bikes are no joke. They will keep your ass in check and I believe 99% of people on here will agree with me, of course no one will openly come out to defend me because let's face it, i'm not exactly liked around here by most. But it's true, most people share the same thought as me.
Danny I agree with you
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #44
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

1000's are more prone to whoop your ass than a 600 SS

600's are rather tame until your over 8k, and really near 12k to be in real powerband (not including the 636 which has more torque lower down revs). But the CBR and GSXR I rode where on par w my Fz6r. Fz6r actually had more torque, but cut out at rev limiter right where the SS's just start their real power.

Brakes-- yeah brakes can easily bite you.
Stock 250/300 brakes can lock up easy enough also..especially if jab at or hamfisted.
Any bike will go down from hamfisted braking, I doubt ABS can save that either.

Anyway, if this guy has so much money and market has changed so much in way of what bikes are available.
An Fz6r or CBR500/650F or fz07 would be good starter bikes and have more longevity in most people garage. (eg. won't get bored w power fast)

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #45
sparky80
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A, 2014 Ninja 300

yeah, liter bikes are a handful. I took mine out for a spin yesterday and giggled like a little schoolboy getting on the gas after a stop light. It was a gradual increasing radius left turn and I shifted from 1st to 2nd at bout 6k rpm's and then pinned 2nd gear. That kinda joy can't be experienced by these little bikes.
Think I won't buy one... I'll be left disappointed with it. 150 hp to the wheel is more fun than 40 ever will be. My 52 hp Husky SMR510 came close, but power is addictive.

Old February 11th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #46
FreelancerMG
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2001 V-Star 1100 Classic

A super sport of any sort is much more difficult to operate than the 250 or 300 is. Yes, while you are always in control up until the crash site of any bike, a super sport is much easier to make an unrecoverable mistake on. Even the R6 which is regarded as the gutless wonder of super sports below 10k RPMs can get you into serious trouble if you mess up. The quickly revving nature of the engine mixed with the much more sensitive and tuned throttle has bit many newbies in the ass. I've seen quite a few unintentional wheelies as a new rider botches an upshift and gets the timing between the clutch and throttle wrong and end up throttling too soon and drop the clutch and loop the bike. I've also seen guys do the exact opposite and botch a downshift and lock the rear, freak out, and lay the bike down. Many of these new riders in their group don't actually really down shift when coming to a stop. They've trained themselves to downshift once they come to a stop. Also, many new riders on super sports don't really know how to properly modulate the brakes and often use way too much initial force and tend to stab the brakes. They don't realize that you can use just a finger or two at most to get all of the braking force you will need to stop. I've seen these same noobs on super sports go over the handlebars from getting on the brakes too hard too fast and they don't have the newer bikes that come with ABS. I remember talking to some of the more "senior" noobs and they'd tell other riders to use mostly the rear brake so you don't launch yourself over the bars. Thought I was talking to a group of crusty old cruiser riders. This pack of sport bike riders that my friend used to hang out with never took a class and I believe they probably don't have licenses either.

I've watched these putzes make every noob mistake you can on a super sport and I know that the same mistakes on a ninja 300 or 250 would take a lot more work of ignorance to achieve the same results you get on the super sports. I've watched my friend go through wrecked super sport after wrecked super sport during his learning process and he was the better one of the group because he at least did the MSF course and got his license. I've noted something interesting though in that noob riders have a tendency to develop and employ work arounds to control issues rather than achieve mastery over the control in question. To avoid locking up the rear when downshifting, they try to keep away from downshifting until they've stopped or come to a near complete stop. To prevent going over the bars from grabbing too much brake, they barely use it and rely more on the rear brake. Throttle issues, well they want to go fast so this is an accepted risk for them.

While not impossible to learn on a super sport, it's a lot more work and can really slow the learning process down and potentially may encourage a new rider to employ work arounds for the harder things and develop some pretty bad habits. This effect seems to get a lot worse when these noob riders congregate in semi-permanent groups and those with bad habits and techniques pass them on to the newer riders who don't know any damn better. I like to call these "squid farms." My local community college has a "squid farm" "chapter" and it's pretty funny to watch them ride. There are a couple of really good riders mixed in their group, but I assume these guys don't really do much if any instruction or advice.
FreelancerMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #47
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
There's a "squid farm" near me as well. Same bullshit. There are good riders in the group, the issue is that they can't give advice since their advice is immediately ignored because of x,y,z excuse that it wasn't a rider control error that caused the **** up.

now danny, I agree supersports can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (or are riding them anywhere near their potential on public roads)

It's not uncommon for someone to hop on a ss after riding a 250 and wipe out because they made a mistake that was covered up by the 250's docile nature. Your example with the brakes is partially right since you can get away with doing that dumb and wrong approach to braking on a 250 and can't with an ss. However, if you learn the technique on the 250 correctly it transfers right over. This goes for everything other than throttle control, actually nvm it does apply to throttle control if you're doing it wrong on the 250 since on the 250 you just pin it everywhere and on the ss you roll on smoothly and consistently.

You should ride one before you make judgements though. People make mistakes on all bikes, they just tend to hurt more on supersports

Old February 11th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #48
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky80 View Post
yeah, liter bikes are a handful. I took mine out for a spin yesterday and giggled like a little schoolboy getting on the gas after a stop light. It was a gradual increasing radius left turn and I shifted from 1st to 2nd at bout 6k rpm's and then pinned 2nd gear. That kinda joy can't be experienced by these little bikes.
Think I won't buy one... I'll be left disappointed with it. 150 hp to the wheel is more fun than 40 ever will be. My 52 hp Husky SMR510 came close, but power is addictive.
Different strokes for different folks

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #49
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
You should ride one before you make judgements though. People make mistakes on all bikes, they just tend to hurt more on supersports
Believe me, I'm in the market for a cbr600rr. I just think a new rider has no business on one.

Old February 11th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #50
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I know you're trying to get one but have you ridden one?

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #51
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
I know you're trying to get one but have you ridden one?
What I'm trying to say, is that I ultimately agree with you. That's why I want one To answer your question, I've only ever ridden the old cbr600, I believe it was an F2 or something I forget the year. Piece of crap though, needed carbs cleaned and what not. I only rode it about 2 miles so I don't even really count it to be honest.

Also, I just found out that the Yamaha R3 is supposedly only gonna get about 56 MPG. So I guess that 3.7L tank means you'll only go ~207 miles. So I was off by about 40 miles.

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #52
sparky80
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Different strokes for different folks
can I ride your RZ? that's a different stroke

600 supersports are very docile as others have mentioned, and really not very harmful under 7-9k rpms. It's no wonder that two of the three I had (all R6's) were strictly trackbikes).

I normally recommend an SV650 to guys starting off. good torque, not much plastic to ruin, enough power to still have fun and a few months to "outgrow".

My dad had an F2. Pretty nice little bike, but the newer 600's are well advanced compared to the older ones.

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #53
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
56mpg on the r3. Not horrible, but not great either? What's the N300 rated at? Personally, I've been getting high 50s and low 60s. Suburban riding 75% of the time. The other 25% is mix of city and interstate riding. Average is 61mpg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-02-11-16-51-08.jpg (67.1 KB, 5 views)
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #54
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
not sure what the n300 is rated at, I just know that I get 40 when riding spiritedly and 50-60 normally

Old February 11th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #55
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Quote:
Maybe not, but it's safe to assume that the person may want to save some money... If $1,400 extra dollars is literally chump change to someone, then by all means they should get the more expensive bike. There are two main reasons why people buy small bikes, 1. They are forgiving/ easy to learn 2. They are cheap (cheap to buy, cheap to fix, cheap on gas...)
You are conflating "small" and "cheap". I like small. I like cheap too, got my Ninjette this way. But what I feel I need now is a small, well equipped new bike. By all means, ABS and TC should be an option; when this option is not available, it doesn't affect you, but it cuts off the manufacturer from a slice of market populated with people like me. I don't want a bigger bike, I want this bike with options for which I am willing to pay extra.

Old February 11th, 2015, 04:03 PM   #56
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
I don't want a bigger bike, I want this bike with options for which I am willing to pay extra.
Maybe if yins be battin' yer eyes like a toad in a hailstorm, they might put tc on their fir ya'lls. But don't be holdin' yer breath now, ya hear?

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #57
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Maybe if yins be battin' yer eyes like a toad in a hailstorm, they might put tc on their fir ya'lls. But don't be holdin' yer breath now, ya hear?

is there a translation of this? google fails me.

Old February 11th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #58
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
is there a translation of this? google fails me.

Translation:
If you bat your eyes quickly like those girls do to get what they want, they might put traction control on the bike, but I wouldn't hold your breath for traction control on a bike putting so little power to the pavement.

Old February 11th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #59
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
@choneofakind
Did they have one at the IMS in Cleveland?

Old February 11th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #60
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Why y'all pickin on Danny??? Or who is pickin on Danny

Old February 11th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #61
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I just realized that I didn't get to see the two bikes I wanted to see most when I went to the timonium bike show last weekend

the r3 and the rc390. They didn't have an rc390 and I completely missed the r3 since there was so much to see and I ran out of time after talking to folk for hours

Old February 11th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #62
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

300 needs TC!!

I can spin it up, a bit, 1st to 3rd gear!!!

Oh wait.. still got the old IRC tire on, which is pretty flat in middle and sub 40 today

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #63
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
You are conflating "small" and "cheap". I like small. I like cheap too, got my Ninjette this way. But what I feel I need now is a small, well equipped new bike. By all means, ABS and TC should be an option; when this option is not available, it doesn't affect you, but it cuts off the manufacturer from a slice of market populated with people like me. I don't want a bigger bike, I want this bike with options for which I am willing to pay extra.
I agree, I mean of course there are many reasons why someone may want a 250. But the most popular reasons are that they are easy to learn on and cheap. I would say that makes up at least 70% of ninja 250 owners.

Old February 11th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #64
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I was thinking about this a little -

Bazzaz sells a Fuel Controller for the N300 that adds quickshift and Traction Control. So at least a more basic TC could be added to the R3 bike. It is expensive for the N300 at $730! But at least it gives you FI control/tuning and quickshift plus the TC.

This might not be the best option - not sure how good the Traction Control is on these units. Never read any reviews or watched any videos. I'm sure they are pretty nice though - they are the main competitor for Dynojet.

ABS is more tricky to add, not sure if that would be possible.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #65
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I was thinking about this a little -

Bazzaz sells a Fuel Controller for the N300 that adds quickshift and Traction Control. So at least a more basic TC could be added to the R3 bike. It is expensive for the N300 at $730! But at least it gives you FI control/tuning and quickshift plus the TC.

This might not be the best option - not sure how good the Traction Control is on these units. Never read any reviews or watched any videos. I'm sure they are pretty nice though - they are the main competitor for Dynojet.

ABS is more tricky to add, not sure if that would be possible.
Chris, how is the Bazzaz TC working?
Every TC needs as information that the wheel is slipping and in the cars or motorcycles this information comes from the ABS sensor - its just like a reversed ABS.

Old February 12th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #66
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Chris, how is the Bazzaz TC working?
Every TC needs as information that the wheel is slipping and in the cars or motorcycles this information comes from the ABS sensor - its just like a reversed ABS.
Good question. I don't know the answer though, don't have one myself (my bike is stock). I also thought it must include sensors or uses sensors that are already on the bike - but then I read this after -

Here is some text from the sales page -
Quote:
"The Z-Fi TC offers up traction control technology derived from the highest levels of professional racing to all levels of riders or racers desiring the ultimate in technology, pure fun and advantage over the competition. The Z-Fi TC does not require any additional sensors to be mounted to the bike. Because the Z-Fi TC provides such an advantage in performance it is not legal in some racing series but is legal for most competition."
All I know is that it exists and can be purchased for the N300. It is super expensive at $730 - compared to $300 for a Dynojet PCV.

Here's a link to the controller on Sportbiketrackgear -
Bazazz Kawasaki Ninja 300 13-14
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #67
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
Here is some text from the sales page -

All I know is that it exists and can be purchased for the N300. It is super expensive at $730 - compared to $300 for a Dynojet PCV.

Here's a link to the controller on Sportbiketrackgear -
Bazazz Kawasaki Ninja 300 13-14
Thank you Chris for that information, so I guess that Bazzaz is watching for the rpm to jump higher in a not normal way.
So when this systems works like it should and from what i'm sure about that it will, then the price, even when it's looking high, will be ok.

Old February 12th, 2015, 03:52 AM   #68
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Maybe not, but it's safe to assume that the person may want to save some money... since for 99% of us $5,000 is a lot of money to be spent on a toy. if you read carefully through this then you would realize that when I said that I had no idea he was a multi millionaire. I recommend everyone buy used, you can find a used ninja 300 with ABS for 4,000 on CL with 2,000 miles and runs like a champ... no problems. I think 99% of new riders should start with that opposed to a brand new $5,400 ABS ninja 300... because new riders make more mistakes when it comes to the bike... no one can argue that. It's fact. It's why so many ninja 250's are dropped, because learners start out on them. As for the other 1% like the multi million dollar friend, sure they can clearly afford to spend the extra.. hell, by the way it sounds this guy probably spends that amount of money on someone for Christmas.

If $1,400 extra dollars is literally chump change to someone, then by all means they should get the more expensive bike. There are two main reasons why people buy small bikes, 1. They are forgiving/ easy to learn 2. They are cheap (cheap to buy, cheap to fix, cheap on gas...)

Nope, I haven't. But I am smart enough to know that supersport bikes are no joke. They will keep your ass in check and I believe 99% of people on here will agree with me, of course no one will openly come out to defend me because let's face it, i'm not exactly liked around here by most. But it's true, most people share the same thought as me. I can look around the forum and find a million posts about why not to start on a 600 and one of those reasons is that it is super unforgiving and one thing that makes it unforgiving is the fact that it has incredibly powerful brakes that are designed to stop you from 165mph to 0 as quick as possible. Yes, you may be technically in control the whole time, but that doesn't mean mistakes never happen... If that were true then everyone would just start on 600's and the ninja 250 wouldn't have a market.

I wish I could find it, but there was a video on youtube that is someone who just bought their cbr600rr and they were on the highway. They just upgraded from a ninja 250 after like a year of riding. There was traffic and he noticed kinda late, not a big deal, he just needed to tap the brake a little, plenty of time to react. But he grabbed it the same way you would grab a 250 brake and he ended up locking up the front and going down on the highway doing like 70. These Dual piston brakes are POWERFUL they are NOTHING compared to the ninja 250's.

By the way you don't need to ride a supersport to know that they are dangerous, but hell, I'm sure someone who's ridden both could explain their thoughts on a newbie on a 600. And if no one wants to chime in since you know, it would be my point you would be defending, then i'd be happy to link you to one of the 1.8 trillion posts/videos/articles explaining why they are dangerous and only for experienced riders.
Hang on. Relax a second. I'm not arguing your point. You're right that rookies should start small. I'm a big advocate of that. I have been. I will be. It's the smart way to start.

But you're basing your entire rant on stuff you've only read about. you've never test ridden one, but you're all "I'm in the market for one". Really? Find a friend, find a dealership, a demo day, a bum on the street, something like that. Ride one to see how it feels before spouting stuff like this. They're great fun, they're just not quite as forgiving and easy as the ninjette so you have to have some idea of what you're doing. Trust me, for him to lock up at 70, he did way more than what he should have, even on 250 standards. That's rider incompetence, not equipment over-achievery.

Go ride one for goodness sake. You need to at least know if you like it before you work towards buying one. Sheesh.

I don't need the rant, yo. The reason no one likes you (per you) is because of rants like this. Chill a little, don't get so reactive, and filter what you type a little.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #69
subxero
dirty boy

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
@Hero Danny , It's been said several times. Go out and ride a SS, you might be a little surprised at how easy some things are and how difficult other things are.

In my little experience on SS's I was amazed at how easy they are to lug around in 2nd and 3rd gear. They are smooth docile, linear little pussy cats outside of the powerband. Little shifting is required and even if you find your self to low in the revs in 3rd there is still more than enough torque to pull you around.

The brakes are not going to bite you in the ass out of no where, several mistakes leading up to a hamfisting of the brakes will most likely be the cause of an accident, locking up the front is just the icing on the cake

They get a little hot

Pulling out from a stop requires a little more precision and practice, they are easy to stall from a stop If you dump the clutch in anything but the high revs the bike will most likely stall or bog as it struggles to get moving, and we know what happens on the other end

Easier to maneuver than I expected

^just a few things I noticed and with that being said

The main reason for not starting on a SS vs another bike IMO is lack of clutch and throttle control and cash . After that most bikes are pretty similar when riding within the law. But I think a lot of this throttle/clutch stuff can be resolved quickly with proper instruction/teaching/training. So IMO the real problem is lack of proper instruction/teaching/training. Most people who ride motorcycles, even if they are decent at it have no ability to teach the mechanics in a proper/safe manor to others. They generally sit them on a bike and say, do this (well what about after they "do this" and if "doing this" goes wrong? All in all the wrong approach.

I used to teach snowboarding, not something easy for everyone to learn. There are teaching techniques that make it a lot easier for a noob to learn the basics with out putting themselves at risk. It is painful going to a MTN. and watching people send their friends down a slope with little to no proper teaching instruction Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you know how to teach others

If one of my friends wanted to start on a SS with no prior experience I would feel comfortable with it as long as I could spend a day or two with them when they first got the bike going over things and drilling

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #70
sparky80
ninjette.org member

y'all are beginning to sound like a bunch of old retired folks bickering about nothing relatively important.
Go ride a crotch rocket at the track, and see how fun the can be. it'll be ok!

Old February 12th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #71
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Go ride one for goodness sake. You need to at least know if you like it before you work towards buying one. Sheesh.
I've tried many times. Every dealer I asked to test ride basically say they cannot do it even if I have cash and am serious about buying, they need more confirmation. And as for friends who ride, I only have one and he only comes up during the summers (he spends his winters down south). So I don't have anyone except my dad who has a vtx1800 and a harley softail which he would rather kill himself than let me ride.

Doesn't matter anyway, I don't even know what we are arguing anymore. I just think that the ninja 250 brakes are very forgiving and is another reason why new riders should start on the ninja 250.

Old February 12th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #72
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
@Hero Danny , It's been said several times. Go out and ride a SS, you might be a little surprised at how easy some things are and how difficult other things are.

In my little experience on SS's I was amazed at how easy they are to lug around in 2nd and 3rd gear. They are smooth docile, linear little pussy cats outside of the powerband. Little shifting is required and even if you find your self to low in the revs in 3rd there is still more than enough torque to pull you around.

The brakes are not going to bite you in the ass out of no where, several mistakes leading up to a hamfisting of the brakes will most likely be the cause of an accident, locking up the front is just the icing on the cake

They get a little hot

Pulling out from a stop requires a little more precision and practice, they are easy to stall from a stop If you dump the clutch in anything but the high revs the bike will most likely stall or bog as it struggles to get moving, and we know what happens on the other end

Easier to maneuver than I expected

^just a few things I noticed and with that being said

The main reason for not starting on a SS vs another bike IMO is lack of clutch and throttle control and cash . After that most bikes are pretty similar when riding within the law. But I think a lot of this throttle/clutch stuff can be resolved quickly with proper instruction/teaching/training. So IMO the real problem is lack of proper instruction/teaching/training. Most people who ride motorcycles, even if they are decent at it have no ability to teach the mechanics in a proper/safe manor to others. They generally sit them on a bike and say, do this (well what about after they "do this" and if "doing this" goes wrong? All in all the wrong approach.

I used to teach snowboarding, not something easy for everyone to learn. There are teaching techniques that make it a lot easier for a noob to learn the basics with out putting themselves at risk. It is painful going to a MTN. and watching people send their friends down a slope with little to no proper teaching instruction Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you know how to teach others

If one of my friends wanted to start on a SS with no prior experience I would feel comfortable with it as long as I could spend a day or two with them when they first got the bike going over things and drilling
Thanks man, I appreciate the message. I do think that newbies should start on small bikes but what you say does make a lot of sense too.

They do get hot, but believe it or not that is a pro for me. It's cold where I live 75% of the year.

Old February 12th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #73
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I can attest, not knowing the technique to snowboard properly hurts

my proof, I suck at snowboarding but love it anyway despite going home battered and bruised every single time

Old February 12th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #74
Bubba
ninjette.org member

Name: Bubba

Quote:
The US and Canada are one of the few countries in the world that does not restrict bike power to new riders. But, despite that, 600 SS and litrebikes make up the majority of crashes, 40% of which are single vehicle loss of control.
The idea that experience makes people safer on 100+ hp bikes does not get proven by crash stats.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #75
Bubba
ninjette.org member

Name: Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky80 View Post
Go ride a crotch rocket at the track, and see how fun the can be. it'll be ok!
This is where 100+ hp bikes belong. Tracks are much safer and controlled than public roads.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #76
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
The US and Canada are one of the few countries in the world that does not restrict bike power to new riders. But, despite that, 600 SS and litrebikes make up the majority of crashes, 40% of which are single vehicle loss of control.
The idea that experience makes people safer on 100+ hp bikes does not get proven by crash stats.
I think it depends on the person, some people are experienced and don't take unnecessary risks, those people are usually fine.

Old February 12th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #77
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Some real talk ya'lls...

I love SS's!!!!!!!! But if ya can't handle it, it be like riding a bee stung swayback pony bareback through the brier patch on a hot summer day.

Seriously though...
The acceleration force that is still felt with a pinned throttle at 100+mph from a 600ss is precisely in no way shape or form ever intended for n00bs, even more so from superbikes.

If a SS is lugging off the line, then the rider isn't in well enough in the friction zone (which is normally pretty small). A SS can come of the line at an idle. If one can't make it happen... the rider is not precise enough.

All SS bikes are not created equal, a few are outright monsters from the start and thin out up top (big twins), some only wake up at 8k+ and get downright ridiculous at 10k (yamis, kawis, ect..), others are very linear in the power delivery throughout the rev range (honduhs and the likes). Above n00b level throttle precision is needed from time to time to calm the beast within (both bike and rider) or let sleeping dogs lie.

Cheap and SS overall don't belong in the same sentence. lol How precise it needs to be is determined on where the decimal point is when you spend $$ or measured in how many tires you need per season and how often you change fork seals. hahahahhaha

SS are easy to maneuver because they are designed to be, pretty simple. If not, there is something wrong with the bike, but normally it's the rider that is precisely the problem.

Manya n00bs start on a 600 without much fussin', imho... It just be slowin' down their learnin's unless they pursue trainin' beyond the msf. I be seein' it all da time.

Back on threat topic:

So according to that video, the frame geometry is not "track oriented". So I would bet that part of the race setup for this bike would be a geometry adjustment. ie. lowering the front/raising the rear. It's got the SS look, just needs the SS stance and legs under it.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #78
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^^ face down, ass up. That's the way we like to... Errr... Uhhh.... Ride motorcycles!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #79
psykown
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

Quote:
I just realized that I didn't get to see the two bikes I wanted to see most when I went to the timonium bike show last weekend

the r3 and the rc390. They didn't have an rc390 and I completely missed the r3 since there was so much to see and I ran out of time after talking to folk for hours
+1 one the RC 390, I liked that duke 690 though
psykown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #80
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
So did I, the duke 390 felt a little cramped in comparison...or rather in general

Sitting on the newer supersports I once again loved the triumph daytona's position.
Imagine racing a daytona 675 and an s1000rr (because that's the natural match when one doesn't have a superbike and the other doesn't have a supersport) back to back

That said, I've grown to like suzuki's non-busa lineup aesthetically and functionally