ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 26th, 2015, 02:07 PM   #41
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe you dont realize this because you haven't crashed in this situation before but having an abrasion resistant layer immediately becomes pointless if it isn't skin tight and secured. when it moves around like in the case of a hoody, the abrasion layer simply transfers the movement of the pavement directly though, and you still get ****ed up.

so, no real armor. no real abrasion resistance. you're better off going shirtless. at least then they wont have to pull this ****ed up cotton kevlar bullshit out of your skin.

trust me i've had lots of experience crashing

Old March 26th, 2015, 02:21 PM   #42
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
Yeah but I'd rather have abrasion resistance than armor. I could always go with a strap on back protector or bohn armor shirt underneath for armor. Harder to go the other way in my opinion. Unless you have a loose enough fitting abrasion resistant jacket to put over (which I do not).
I agree, impact, the abrasion.

Being a fellow Bohn user, how do you like yours?

I call mine my superhero armour

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #43
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
I agree, impact, the abrasion.

Being a fellow Bohn user, how do you like yours?

I call mine my superhero armour
Love the Bohn line. The armor is beefy, comfortable, the stitching and material on the garments hold up to lots of use and most importantly the armor disappears under normal clothes. Highly recommend.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #44
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Love the Bohn line. The armor is beefy, comfortable, the stitching and material on the garments hold up to lots of use and most importantly the armor disappears under normal clothes. Highly recommend.
Totally agree, it's a must have for me, comes in handy when you going out on the town, so to speak.

In the hot months I wear my mesh textile, with Under Armour shirt and underwear.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #45
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

I don't get it. This armored kevlared thing is definitely not more comfortable than a leather jacket, and it is much less safe. The only purpose of it is to be a fashion statement. Which is to say, squids signaling each other that they are not afraid to ride in a hoodie. Except now it's armored hoodie, so they *are* afraid after all. Which defeats the purpose of riding in a hoodie.

To distill it down, this signals "I am an easily influenced idiot with poor reasoning skills".

Old March 27th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #46
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Any link to that Bohn thing you guys are talking about?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #47
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
I don't get it. This armored kevlared thing is definitely not more comfortable than a leather jacket, and it is much less safe. The only purpose of it is to be a fashion statement. Which is to say, squids signaling each other that they are not afraid to ride in a hoodie. Except now it's armored hoodie, so they *are* afraid after all. Which defeats the purpose of riding in a hoodie.

To distill it down, this signals "I am an easily influenced idiot with poor reasoning skills".
Obviously I disagree with you. Do you have one of these hoodies? Otherwise I'm not sure you could say its "definitely not more comfortable." Maybe it isn't, I don't know. But I think you are painting with too broad a brush.

Light weight gear has a purpose and it is not just for squids. My gear for a cross country trip is not the same as the gear I would wear to ride to my neighbors house. In the later instance would I be comfortable riding 3/4 of a mile in my neighborhood with an armored hoodie? Yes I would.

But regardless of your stance you must acknowledge that there are varying degrees of acceptability along the risk spectrum. Some would say your an idiot if you ride street in anything less than full leathers, yet other people see riders in full leathers and think they are idiots for even riding a motorcycle.

Old March 27th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #48
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Any link to that Bohn thing you guys are talking about?
Start here. I have the suit the guy on the home page is wearing.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/cata...T_gaAgwm8P8HAQ

Old March 27th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #49
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Thx!
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #50
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Quote:
Obviously I disagree with you. Do you have one of these hoodies? Otherwise I'm not sure you could say its "definitely not more comfortable." Maybe it isn't, I don't know. But I think you are painting with too broad a brush.

I don't have it, but I tried it. Definitely less comfortable to me than a light leather jacket.
Posted via Mobile Device
liberpolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2015, 09:25 AM   #51
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
I don't have it, but I tried it. Definitely less comfortable to me than a light leather jacket.
Posted via Mobile Device
If that is in fact the case then it would defeat the purpose for me entirely. I would then at least in part agree with you that it makes poor sense to be less comfortable and less protective all for the sake of fashion.

Old March 27th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #52
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Interesting stuff about Bohn.

Seems a bit of a tradeoff. A good-fitting jacket would have to have its armor removed to fit over the Bohn shirt, right? So you get armor that is likely to stay in place (tight fitting shirt) but at the expense of convenience (two garments to deal with, not just one).

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote