ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Ninja28
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Speedo Problem

On my way home from class today I noticed my Speedometer wasn't registering anything, including the mileage. I suspect it is just a loose connection, but the bike got rained on recently so maybe slight corrosion? My question is how/where do I go about cleaning these connections? Will some WD-40 do the trick or is it more involved?
Ninja28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja28 View Post
On my way home from class today I noticed my Speedometer wasn't registering anything, including the mileage. I suspect it is just a loose connection, but the bike got rained on recently so maybe slight corrosion? My question is how/where do I go about cleaning these connections? Will some WD-40 do the trick or is it more involved?
That'll depend on exactly what's wrong. I'd first check the connections. There should be a thick stiff cable coming from the left side of your front axle that goes up into the bike. That's your speedo cable. Make sure it's attached and snugly at both ends. If it's not, I'd disconnect the wheel end and see if you can turn the pin inside by hand or gently with pliers.

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #3
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I just replaced the speedo gears at the wheel for a buddies 08. The cable was still good but the gears were broken.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
I just replaced the speedo gears at the wheel for a buddies 08. The cable was still good but the gears were broken.
Very interesting. Any idea what broke the gears/how? Seems like kinda an odd part to fail, as from what I understand of the construction, there's very little room for the wobble that's typically the cause of gear wear/damage.

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #5
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

The actual broken part was not the gear itself but was located inside the speedometer gear housing. It looks to have been spacer of some sort but I believe it also holds one side of the gear assembly still while the wheel rotation turns the gear/cable.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Ninja28
ninjette.org member

The bike has only 2500 miles on it so I would really hope nothing is broken. As far as the connections are concerned I will check them and get back to you guys!

Old September 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Ninja28
ninjette.org member

Okay I finally got the time to get into everything and the cable was loose on the end going into the gauges. What would be the cause of this? How do I go about fixing it?

Old September 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja28 View Post
Okay I finally got the time to get into everything and the cable was loose on the end going into the gauges. What would be the cause of this? How do I go about fixing it?
Two possible/probable causes come to mind:
1) previous owner fiddling with it
2) vibrations worked it loose, coming up on 4 years old or not being 100% proper tight from the factory

Solution:
Can ya just tighten it back up? If not, you may need to align the square pin that's inside with the receiver in the speedometer. Perhaps put a little blue loctite on it to make sure it stays put when you tighten it back down.

Old October 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I found it almost impossible to tighten properly with the fairings on. I seemingly got it (everything worked) and found a couple months later that it wasn't even threading straight and wasn't nearly "tight" (still worked; discovered when doing something else with the fairings off).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote