ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

Name: Suhail

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Wiring LED strips as brake lights, turn signals, and "day-time lights"

Ok, before i start, lemme bring this to everyones attention..I DID try looking around and searching the site and didnt get much luck with what i wanted to do..so therefore I started this thread seeking help and opinions.

Ive been planning on doing this since i got the bike over a month ago and ive actually tried looking at different ways of doing this. I finally decided to go with actual LED strips instead of drilling multiple holes for ear little LED.

What i want to do is have a total of 6 led strips (30cm each) running down the rear end of the bike under the tail. 2 red ones connected to the brake light working as additional brakes, 2 yellow ones working as turn signals (im currently working on a fender chop which involves removal of rear turn signals) and 2 white LED's running as day-time lights connected to the other leds on a bike which i plan to connect to a separate switch so i can easily turn them on/off.

I need help because i only want the red LED's to go off when the brake is pressed, and the yellow to BLINK when the turn signal is indicated, and the white to work only when it is turned on from a separate switch which i plan on mounting to the side of the bike on the frame.

So far, i have purchased all of the leds (12):
2 red
2 yellow
8 white. (2 for under the tail and 6 for various other places on the bike)
Ive got wire strippers and various other tools for wiring. WHAT ELSE WOULD I NEED? And how would i go about doing this mod? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys.
blackninja18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #2
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

Im trying to upload a diagram i drew on a paper..its in pdf..i cant figure out how to upload it though..:/

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #3
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Convert it to a jpg and upload it. As far as what else you need, are these strips pre-made to work on 12v? if so, it's just a matter of connecting the right wires. You will likely need an electronic flasher relay, which can be found at an auto store. I used a Tridon EP34 and just ran a ground wire on pin E.

Old May 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #4
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

First off, you're going to need some resistors to go with your LED's. This will increase the longevity of your LED's and prevent them from prematurely frying up. The resistors you need will depend on the resistors you have, as well as how you plan on wiring them.

Once you figure out the resistances you need, everything else is relatively easy. You'll be able to wire in turns in parallel with your current turn signal harness, one for each side, obviously. For your running lights, you can tie into the license plate light or the tail light wires (running, not brake). For your brake lights you can run in parallel with your brake light wires. The tail light harness has 3 wires (one for running, one for brake, and one ground).
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Dont just hook up directly to the bike through resistors. You need a 12v voltage regulator.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062600

This is what I have on my turn signals and they work great! Look at my DIY if you need some ideas
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Dont just hook up directly to the bike through resistors. You need a 12v voltage regulator.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062600
It's kinda odd using a 12volt regulator on a 12 volt system... Whats the point?
Why not use the correct voltage regulator for the leds, and not use resistors
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Because when the alternator is running the voltage will fluctuate, all the way to 14-15v
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #8
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

I'm so confused. Sorry..I'm new to all this. LOL!

And yes, they are 12v leds

@leed..idk what resistors I need. My bike has no modification to any of the electronics so I'm assuming everything electronically is still stock. According to this, which resistors would I need..?

And thanks a lot to everyone on here for trying to help!! Once I get this going ill definitely try my best to take some good pics of the install and post em up step by step incase anyone else is interested or just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

If you put resistors assuming that they are for a 12v system then your LEDs will burn out. When the bike is revving the voltage will spike to 14-15v if you get resistors to accommodate for 15v then when the bike isnt at a high rev the LEDs will be very dim. Trust me on this one, you need to get a 12v regulator. As kkim would say, ask me how i know

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #10
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

Ok, so your saying I'd need resistors and a 12v regulator? And I should be able to find em at autozone or radio shack?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

If the LEDs are pre wired for 12v then your ok with just the regulator. Do you want a wiring diagram?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #12
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

Yeah..I'm pretty sure they are. Ill post a link of what I got off ebay in a bit. Maybe you can take a look.

Yeah that would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

I'll have to make the wiring diagram for you tonight. Its actually pretty simple and saves your ass down the road!

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #14
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

Thanks a lot kevin! I really appreciate your effort!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Heres the LED's I ordered.
...im pretty sure they are 12v..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RED-L...Q5fAccessories

Last futzed with by blackninja18; May 19th, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: INFO

Old May 19th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #15
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Those are 12v, ok so in the most rudimentary drawing lol here you go, ask if you have any questions

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #16
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

..im really lost.. :/

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #17
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

What are you lost about?

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #18
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

Okay, let's put it like this..I mount the leds on. Where do I connect the regulators and where do the positive/negative go?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #19
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

The positive and negative come from the bike. So it basically goes. Bike, voltage regulator, then LED's

LED's are a little more complicated then people think... If you dont know about wiring and how electricity works then I would find someone to do it for you.... Not to be rude but there are things that can be messed up. I can make a new diagram for you if that would help.... Do you know how to solder?

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #20
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

Oh that clears things up. Ofc I understand the risk, but I'm not completely new to electrical work either. I should be able to configure em with a more detailesd diagram. I know I'm probably starting to before a PITA, but please bare with me. Lol. And yes I do know how to solder. In the diagram can you include the led s which will be connected to the tail light aswell as the leds which will be working as turn signals? Also will I need anything additional to make them blink as I will be removing the the turn signals with my fender eliminator?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #21
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Hows this?

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #22
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

I got a question for you Kevin... would he need three 12v regulators, one for each set of leds/wiring (Turn signals, Running Lights, Brake Lights)? On the radio shack site, it also states that it may require a heatsink in some applications, you think that's necessary? Is it safe to leave the regulator exposed, or is it best to wrap it?

Edit:
Just saw your new diagram... that clears up my first question. I forgot to take into account that there are two turn signals.

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #23
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Its always a good idea to do a heat sink Radioshack has them, this is the ones I used

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102857

I'll have the bike open this weekend and i'll take pictures of what I made, I used a project box at radioshack, put all the components in it and cut a hole in the top of the box for the heat sink

And yes you need a separate one for each, so one for each turn signal and two for the brakes. If not both turn signals would flash at the same time

Old May 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #24
blackninja18
ninjette.org member

That just cleared up all my confusion! Thanks!!

Just one last question, as for the rest of the running lights on the bike is it possible to hook em all up to a regulator then to a power source and conect it to a switch?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #25
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Yeah, just go right to the battery. That's what I did, and use a fuse!! You don't even need a voltage regulator if you go directly to the battery but you have to have a switch
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #26
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I want to do something like these but -.- have no idea where to start...
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #27
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

Just a thought, I was rereading your first post and you said that you want to put all six strips running down the back of the bike. I think it may be against the law to have the white running light in the back. I know bikes don't go in reverse, but there may be some law against having white lights in the back like that. You may want to consider having the running light red as well or at least look into whether or not it is legal. Plus depending on how bright the white LED strip is, it may drown out the red and amber turn signals lighting all together. I have a dual led strip setup in my car under where the footwells are. I have a 12" amber strip and a 6" white led strip. Ambers are on when my ignition is on. White goes on when the doors open. When the white strip goes on, it completely drowns out the amber led strip. Something to consider...

Here's a video that shows what I'm talking about.

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MVI_2111.mp4

Old September 11th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #28
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
You don't even need a voltage regulator if you go directly to the battery but you have to have a switch
Posted via Mobile Device
So if you wired LED's into the auxiliary power lines (which are always hot) and switched them, would I need the 12V regulator?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #29
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
So if you wired LED's into the auxiliary power lines (which are always hot) and switched them, would I need the 12V regulator?
Ummm.... are the aux power lines coming directly from the battery? Are you talking about the batter tender plug thing? If yes then you need to make sure there is a fuse inline and your good. If not It would be a better idea to just wire directly from the battery with a fuse and a switch

Old September 21st, 2011, 05:35 AM   #30
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

Any photos of the finished project?
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:46 PM   #31
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Ummm.... are the aux power lines coming directly from the battery?
on a pre-gen, there's auxiliary power lines up front and beneath the seat that are always hot.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:38 AM   #32
DarylAbbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackninja18 View Post
Ok, before i start, lemme bring this to everyones attention..I DID try looking around and searching the site and didnt get much luck with what i wanted to do..so therefore I started this thread seeking help and opinions.

Ive been planning on doing this since i got the bike over a month ago and ive actually tried looking at different ways of doing this. I finally decided to go with actual LED strips instead of drilling multiple holes for ear little
led lights.

What i want to do is have a total of 6 led strips (30cm each) running down the rear end of the bike under the tail. 2 red ones connected to the brake light working as additional brakes, 2 yellow ones working as turn signals (im currently working on a fender chop which involves removal of rear turn signals) and 2 white LED's running as day-time lights connected to the other leds on a bike which i plan to connect to a separate switch so i can easily turn them on/off.

I need help because i only want the red LED's to go off when the brake is pressed, and the yellow to BLINK when the turn signal is indicated, and the white to work only when it is turned on from a separate switch which i plan on mounting to the side of the bike on the frame.

So far, i have purchased all of the leds (12):
2 red
2 yellow
8 white. (2 for under the tail and 6 for various other places on the bike)
Ive got wire strippers and various other tools for wiring. WHAT ELSE WOULD I NEED? And how would i go about doing this mod? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys.
Just looks like very useful information.. I know thread is bit old but I got plenty of details about wiring led.. I will get some lights and now apply them.. Thanks again

Last futzed with by DarylAbbott; June 24th, 2013 at 12:54 AM.

Old August 7th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #33
rweyerts
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rich

Motorcycle(s): Honda

Question

Quote:
Hows this?

I have a question on this.
So if I have a bank of 7 LED's that will be running all 3 function(Break,Running and Turn) on the same 7 LED's. How would I wire something like this up?
rweyerts is offline   Reply With Quote