Old July 4th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The real benefit of track days

kayso, I don't get to ride recreationally that much. I do commute and I love the track, but those lovely half-day weekend rides are rare.

In fact, today was the first real recreational ride I've had this year, despite six track days.

We have some lovely roads here in Connecticut, which unfortunately are often spoiled by traffic. Today, however, I was able to plan, scheme and gap to take advantage of the better twisties, riding a few sections multiple times.

Never at knee-dragging pace, of course, but fast enough to practice body position and throttle control for realz.

Wow. The time I've put in at the track, and the instruction I've gotten, have REALLY made a difference in how I ride roads I know very well. Big, decreasing radius sweepers that would have gotten my attention a few years ago are now easy despite significantly higher speeds. It was a total blast.

If you haven't gone to the track, you really should consider it even if you don't see yourself as a fast rider. it will make you safer, better and able to have way more fun on every ride you take.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old July 4th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The more controlled and calm you are, the better your chances of not having a single vehicle accident due to riding over your head.

The more open your vision is, the faster you can react to surprises and changes in the road.

Conveniently, track days work on both of those skills intimately. Just don't be that guy who goes on insane mode on the roads with his newfound skill.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
your approaching my reason for staying out of the canyons. as you get better you can go twice as fast with even less risk of crashing on your own then before but on the street you are never truly on your own. That coyote, that unexpected gravel, that fart can equipped Honda civic blowing the DY, you never know when a helping hand will come along and help you onto your A$$. I don't have to lecture on this since i know your smart enough to know, i'm just saying for the others who don't know.

enjoy your new found skills and try to not hurt anyone's ego too much as you go by
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old July 5th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #4
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Wow. The time I've put in at the track, and the instruction I've gotten, have REALLY made a difference in how I ride roads I know very well.
Me too......except a very different way. Riding hard on the track has pretty much eliminated my desire to ride fast on the road. I tend to go a bit easier, enjoy the view a bit more, and just ride. I know where I will practice my "go fast" skills and its not the local FM or CR. But it is true that the skills you learn at the track can be directly translated to your street riding .
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
your approaching my reason for staying out of the canyons. as you get better you can go twice as fast with even less risk of crashing on your own then before but on the street you are never truly on your own. That coyote, that unexpected gravel, that fart can equipped Honda civic blowing the DY, you never know when a helping hand will come along and help you onto your A$$. I don't have to lecture on this since i know your smart enough to know, i'm just saying for the others who don't know.

enjoy your new found skills and try to not hurt anyone's ego too much as you go by
So true. Around Seattle there's the "Mercer Island loop" which is so fun... except for the bicyclists, driveways every few feet, etc. As my skill goes up I get more and more nervous about just 'having fun' on that road because I know I'll just end up going faster than I should.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 9th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Track riding allows you a controlled environment to practice relevant skills without worrying about unknown factors like traffic, animals, gravel, debris on the road etc.. plus there is less risk if you do push yourself and crash as you are wearing ALL the gear and there is an ambulance on site. Plus you are probably there working on specific skills with a riding coach so it makes sense that there are huge benefits to track days I'm a fan

I don't ride on the street much at all anymore.

The track is where I learned ALL the relevant skills.

What has been the biggest ah-ha moment for you guys while riding on the track? what was your biggest learning moment?

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
I don't ride on the street much at all anymore.

What has been the biggest ah-ha moment for you guys while riding on the track? what was your biggest learning moment?
Even only getting 1-2 track days a year has (almost) totally quashed my need to tear up the public asphalt, in no small part due to the increased pace I can take comfortably, which adds just that much energy into an unexpected situation.

For me, there were so many "ah-ha!" moments, but a couple that really stick out:
-delaying turn-in helps with so much, especially with seeing through the all-too-common blind corners, making both hitting the optimal spots easier and avoiding hazards (be they stationary, or oncoming traffic)
-getting my knees properly planted on the tank helped me feel so much more connected when leaning. also helped me keep weight off the bars, which had been a cardinal riding sin of mine since I tend to be tense all the time.

SUPER glad to have had a good friend to drag me to the track every year , since I can never seem to find the spare $ & time to do it on my own more often

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 9th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Track days give you the chance to be one with the bike. It won't teach you the bike's limits but it will teach you your own limits (safely, hopefully).

After riding on a track there is less need (desire) to ride fast on the street.

Old July 26th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
So Andrew, how does your upgraded braking skills factor into things? I know... we pushed some of your buttons no so long ago. How have they settled into your everyday riding?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #10
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Me too......except a very different way. Riding hard on the track has pretty much eliminated my desire to ride fast on the road. I tend to go a bit easier, enjoy the view a bit more, and just ride. I know where I will practice my "go fast" skills and its not the local FM or CR. But it is true that the skills you learn at the track can be directly translated to your street riding .
I know exactly what you are saying. Before I started track riding, I would do 6-7,000 miles a year on my bike. I would ride nearly everyday after work and all day (if possible) on the weekends. Since I have started track riding, I have not even started any of my bikes since I have returned from Ohio with Chris, Andrew, Ben and Jay. I could really care less if I ever ride on the street again but I will be back at the track again in another week or 2!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #11
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
I know exactly what you are saying. Before I started track riding, I would do 6-7,000 miles a year on my bike. I would ride nearly everyday after work and all day (if possible) on the weekends. Since I have started track riding, I have not even started any of my bikes since I have returned from Ohio with Chris, Andrew, Ben and Jay. I could really care less if I ever ride on the street again but I will be back at the track again in another week or 2!
I get track withdraws, especially when soccer season picks up and I have ZERO free time. I don't think I could (at least at this point) abandon street riding, but its one of the reasons I traded in for the Versys - take up a different type of riding on the street and a little bit off it too

Old July 27th, 2016, 08:07 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Sounds like it's time to start woods riding. Teaches bike control and is FUN! It will also extremely help your track riding.

Old July 27th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Old July 27th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Old July 27th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
So Andrew, how does your upgraded braking skills factor into things? I know... we pushed some of your buttons no so long ago. How have they settled into your everyday riding?
More or less, mostly less, and mostly because most of my riding is commuting at what feels like scooter speeds. Mostly. So most of the time most of my braking is really gentle. For the most part.

But yeah... I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with harder braking overall.

Old July 27th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

To all...

If you have it in you, do NOT stop riding street. Instead find the raw joy in the open road, seeing new places & things and keep meeting interesting, cool people. Share your stories, listen to other's tales and blaze new trails into areas where you may not have gone on your own. Go motocamping, set a new personal mileage record and take plenty of pics to relive the journey another day.

Lastly, don't be just another bike in the line. Set an example, be a role model. You have earned above average skills via sweat and hard work. Let those skills speak on your behalf but always stay humble.

The sport only grows with good people leading the way, Unregistered is now chosen to inspire others.

This is the true benefit of track days.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old July 27th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #17
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

^^ this.......so much this

Old July 27th, 2016, 09:47 AM   #18
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Plus on a hot track day in leathers all day I lose 1-2 pounds!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
If you're not having fun then you gotta stop riding

Old July 28th, 2016, 05:25 AM   #20
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Sounds like it's time to start woods riding. Teaches bike control and is FUN! It will also extremely help your track riding.
I have years of off road riding experience including Motocross and trail riding. I have ridden at MMX 338 the Southwick Mass motocross track and even tried racing with terrible results! I just bought my wife a KX100 with the hope she would love riding on dirt (she likes the track and has ridden Thompson and Palmer) but we just don't have the time. I would love to get back out on the dirt and I agree 100% that it makes you a much better street rider. No better way to get used to the bike moving around while looking for traction! I may just have to sell one of my street bikes and just get a dual sport so I can ride to anyplace I want to ride. I am a bit past the "jumping things" with a bike days but sliding is still fun!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #21
backinthesaddleagain

Anyone see the Valentino Rossi series the Doctor? His flat track ranch in Italy is incredible, track within a track and multiple layouts.

Old July 28th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #22
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
I have years of off road riding experience including Motocross and trail riding. I have ridden at MMX 338 the Southwick Mass motocross track and even tried racing with terrible results! I just bought my wife a KX100 with the hope she would love riding on dirt (she likes the track and has ridden Thompson and Palmer) but we just don't have the time. I would love to get back out on the dirt and I agree 100% that it makes you a much better street rider. No better way to get used to the bike moving around while looking for traction! I may just have to sell one of my street bikes and just get a dual sport so I can ride to anyplace I want to ride. I am a bit past the "jumping things" with a bike days but sliding is still fun!
Southwick in my "younger" days #3. Unfortunately the number had nothing to do with rank Those berms were incredible. I believe that's the "Buckley" berm, I know he took the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swickberm.jpg (137.1 KB, 2 views)

Old July 28th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #23
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
To all...

If you have it in you, do NOT stop riding street. Instead find the raw joy in the open road, seeing new places & things and keep meeting interesting, cool people. Share your stories, listen to other's tales and blaze new trails into areas where you may not have gone on your own. Go motocamping, set a new personal mileage record and take plenty of pics to relive the journey another day.

Lastly, don't be just another bike in the line. Set an example, be a role model. You have earned above average skills via sweat and hard work. Let those skills speak on your behalf but always stay humble.

The sport only grows with good people leading the way, Unregistered is now chosen to inspire others.

This is the true benefit of track days.
Well said and thank you. It's such a great sport! I started riding on the street and have done many amazing road trips and seen some amazing sights. From there I was able to take my riding to new levels with the California Superbike School both as a coach and a pro racer. Coaching and racing lead to moto-journalism and this summer I will head to Germany to put everything together with a 10 day riding trip through the Alps which ends with two track days at Sachenring. Full circle. Just ride.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote