ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

So I think I am going to rebuild my bike...

So I am considering buying my bike back after the insurance is done with it and fixing her up. I am considering going with the Sportisi body kit and making the bike flat black with hot pink and/or purple with silver accents. I talked with Matt and he had suggested possibly going with some clip-ons and some new rear-sets. Considering I am going to have to fix the clutch pedal and mechanism anyway, it might be a good way to go.

So what I am looking for is some input from you wise motorcycle people. I know very little about what is good and bad as far as modifications go. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I would like to maybe make the bike nice to run at the track, but also have the comfort of running it on the street. Oh, and I am sort of a conservative rider and don't plan on running her hard.

So please, tell me more about what changing the rear-sets does for the bike and what adding clip-ons does for the bike. I have short arms, so if I went for the clip-ons I'd probably get the risers too.

Please enlighten me!!

Old August 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Good for you!! Those sound like some pretty sweet colors. Good luck!!
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Name: Vinh

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

i put woodcraft rearsets on mine, i love them. they make my feet more comfortable and a slightly more aggressive stance and easier on the ankles when shifting. or maybe its all in my head considering i only rode my bike about 10 miles without a license before i changed out with the rearsets

Old August 27th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Name: Vinh

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

oh, and glad to see you stayin with riding. i know now who holds the chains in your marriage

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

rearset you can adjust the pegs forward, backward, up and down..

check this guy, Dennis if you're interested.. he's a pretty nice guy. I bought from him. not as pricey and he'll help you install them too for free. sometimes you can buy extra pieces from him if you ever low side your bike and need replacement pieces too

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=246547
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

How bad is it? I'm thinking of looking at an 08 that was crashed (if I can get a hold of the guy) and was thinking of going with a Airtech body. If I could find a way to sneak the wires through I would probably put LED turn signals up in the mirrors ('cause it would be cool), and AP long can exhaust and carb kit to get the power up, and probably HID of some kind for the main lights.

I also want to eventually go with a DIY programmable fuel injection system (microsquirt). And if the tail section is bent (but the rest of the frame is true) I'd probably want to design a tail section that bolts on and off (especially for track since that probably gets bent a lot in crashes).

New tires would be a key part, first thing I'll do with anything that I may buy.

If you want to spend more money, get the forks worked over with new valves and springs, and a new adjustable rear shock. You'll need input from the racers as to what stuff to buy for track, and what stuff needs to be removed for the track too. You may want a drill guide for drilling safety wire holes, as well as a small drill press. Safety wire pliers and a bunch of wire. Self locking nylon nuts where you can use them so you don't need to drill and wire some things.

If you want to race it, then a copy of the rules is the only way to go before ordering any parts. Decide on the class you want to race in so that you know what will allow you to be competitive.

And for the black areas, some of the 3M black reflective tape, make the thing glow in headlights.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #7
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

just don't put that swingarm cover. while it looks like the reinforced swingarms of bigger bikes it is all show no go (imho). good luck making your bike a personal expression.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
rearset you can adjust the pegs forward, backward, up and down..

check this guy, Dennis if you're interested.. he's a pretty nice guy. I bought from him. not as pricey and he'll help you install them too for free. sometimes you can buy extra pieces from him if you ever low side your bike and need replacement pieces too

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=246547
COOL, thanks! I'll probably get rear sets considering the clutch mechanism is shot (I dropped it on the left side), but the clutch still seems to work, so that's good. If I'm going to have to replace parts, I might as well just upgrade at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie11 View Post
oh, and glad to see you stayin with riding. i know now who holds the chains in your marriage
LOL! Yeah, my husband wouldn't argue with you on that one. Even though he would really like me to stop, it did break his heart to see my heart broken after I lost my bike in the accident. I mean he was of course estatic knowing I was okay and he would love to be able to talk me out of riding. We agreed I would bring it down a notch if he would just bring it up a notch (he's overly conservative where he doesn't seem to be able to find the apex on any turn and is skiddish to lean the bike over).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
How bad is it? I'm thinking of looking at an 08 that was crashed (if I can get a hold of the guy) and was thinking of going with a Airtech body. If I could find a way to sneak the wires through I would probably put LED turn signals up in the mirrors ('cause it would be cool), and AP long can exhaust and carb kit to get the power up, and probably HID of some kind for the main lights.

I also want to eventually go with a DIY programmable fuel injection system (microsquirt). And if the tail section is bent (but the rest of the frame is true) I'd probably want to design a tail section that bolts on and off (especially for track since that probably gets bent a lot in crashes).

New tires would be a key part, first thing I'll do with anything that I may buy.
The bike really isn't in that bad of shape, I should know more once I get her home on Saturday and get a chance to take a look.

Quote:
If you want to spend more money, get the forks worked over with new valves and springs, and a new adjustable rear shock. You'll need input from the racers as to what stuff to buy for track, and what stuff needs to be removed for the track too. You may want a drill guide for drilling safety wire holes, as well as a small drill press. Safety wire pliers and a bunch of wire. Self locking nylon nuts where you can use them so you don't need to drill and wire some things.

If you want to race it, then a copy of the rules is the only way to go before ordering any parts. Decide on the class you want to race in so that you know what will allow you to be competitive.

And for the black areas, some of the 3M black reflective tape, make the thing glow in headlights.
I don't know if I want to go as far as racing it and I don't want to spend a lot of money fixing it either. I was thinking that I may take it to the track now and again just for fun, not for racing. I'm not a speed freak really.

Thanks for giving me more information on the rear-sets. Definitely seems like a good way to go.

Old August 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #9
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Good luck with the repair. Why not go with woodcraft rear set (cheaper) or sato (nice). Dan Kyle sato for real good price to forum member. Not sure if he had a thread here or kawiforum about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #10
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
If I could find a way to sneak the wires through I would probably put LED turn signals up in the mirrors ('cause it would be cool)
Did this - it's in the wiki - check it out

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #11
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Good luck with the repair. Why not go with woodcraft rear set (cheaper) or sato (nice). Dan Kyle sato for real good price to forum member. Not sure if he had a thread here or kawiforum about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
COOL, I'll check that out. Definitely doing the rearsets. I might as well considering I have to replace the left side.