ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Gfortunes
love to ride

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Ebony/Candy Persimon Red

Question Got The license this weekend

Well I went to get my liscense this saturday and where I went to do the riding test the site was rough still has the entire parkinglot filled with sand and I thought it was a bit dangerous. Of course on my nimble bike I had no problem but I saw a guy drop a beautiful brand new harley V-Rod in the sand doing his U turn. Guy administering the test said that he had no way to sweep off the sand and that we could test or not our choice.

The big question is how to get my wife to get on the back of the bike now that I have my endorsment again. FYI I have been riding for 10 years with a 2 year gap and my endorsement lapsed that is why I had to retest. I know that my wife kind of wants to ride but she is also scared I know if I can get her on there she will love it I will make sure it is the perfect day and that I am slow and smooth. She will use the excuse that the gear is to much but we can afford it. I have actually saved up $700 for her for gear I will not let her get up on the bike with out her being safe! Any tips on getting her on there
Gfortunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

First off, congratulations!!!!

As for the wife, all I can say is just be patient with her and don't try to push too much. The more you push the more most people will resist.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congatulations on getting your endorsement agin. Like mike said just be patient with the wife and do not push her into it. You might suggest that she take the MSF course so that she has a better understanding and confidence with bikes.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #4
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Congatulations on getting your endorsement agin. Like mike said just be patient with the wife and do not push her into it. You might suggest that she take the MSF course so that she has a better understanding and confidence with bikes.
I agree completely. I was in the same situation with Ryan. He would always talk about me riding but I was always hesitant. He signed me up for the MSF course and I loved it. I never rode before that course and only sat behind him maybe 2-3 times on his Buell. I cannot say enough good things about the course. The bonus is that it also counts for your riding exam at the DMV.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #5
sb71
ninjette.org member

Name: Shari

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfortunes View Post
I know that my wife kind of wants to ride but she is also scared I know if I can get her on there she will love it I will make sure it is the perfect day and that I am slow and smooth. She will use the excuse that the gear is to much but we can afford it. I have actually saved up $700 for her for gear I will not let her get up on the bike with out her being safe! Any tips on getting her on there
If I were you- I would really talk to her about 2 things.
1. Why does she want to ride?
2. Find out what she is REALLY afraid of. I was scared that I would not be able to handle a bike. I am 5'4 and >100lbs w/o gear. In MSF, everything is done in 1st and 2nd gear and I struggled with control. I thought that if I couldn't do it perfectly here, I would never be able to go out on a road.
My husband works with me in baby steps. With each new fear (ie- traffic), he exposes me to it a little at at time to the point that now- I am embarassed when I think how worked up I used to get. (I admit that I once sat on my bike and cried before I would even start it)
Point being- if you talk to her and take your time with her you will be able to find out if riding is something she will enjoy.
Good luck and congrats!

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #6
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

congrats