ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old January 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #81
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

i started riding a few months ago - love it, totally addicted! i ride on the weekend about 30 miles at a time. here's my bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (82.9 KB, 10 views)
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #82
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

How do you like it? Got it from bikesdirect.com?

I was looking at one for a commuter since they were so cheap, but I wasn't sure.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #83
Slabrocks
ninjette.org member

Name: Slab

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250

I ride an old fuji nevada. i was on it alot last summer, but im going to guess that just like the last time i had a bike with a motor, when i take the fuji out the next time ill get a block from home and decide its too much work and bring it back.

Old January 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #84
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
How do you like it? Got it from bikesdirect.com?

I was looking at one for a commuter since they were so cheap, but I wasn't sure.
yeah, they get a bad wrap since they're web-based, but they do have shops as well. great deals since they don't sell the major brands. do your research, compare the components and you'll see you can get the same quality bike for half the price.

i'm happy with my purchase.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #85
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Bikes Direct has some good deals. The Motobecane is a good bike. I have restored several of the cromolly ones made in France. A couple years ago, I was pricing a 105 Grouppo for my Univega Comp. It was not cheap--so I bought a Windsor from Bikes Direct with 105 components for less than a pair of STI Shifters, derailleurs, and brakes. I put the shifters, brakes, crankset, derailleurs, bottom bracket, and casette on the `Vega, reassembled the Windsor with the SORA Grouppo, and sold it as a commuter. It turned out very well, and the customer who bought it is very happy with it. He brings it in to my shop for a tune every year. Still looks like a brand new bike.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #86
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

May be worth checking them out for my next bike.

Old January 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #87
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

i have been thinking long and hard about picking up a DB sale bike with Ultegra group on it, swapping it on my C'dale, and putting the older used components on the DB bike and letting friends ride it who don't have road bikes. it will have to wait until my bday (august) or maybe Christmas of 2010. Too much other stuff to spend money on right now (third child do any day now)
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #88
Sailariel

Neil, Congrats on your second child. The plan for your Cannondale is a really good one. Ultegra is nice, but IMO 105 is just as good. Unless you are a pro, you would not notice. For about $35 you can get a 105 to perform better than the Ultegra---simply swap out the jockey wheels in your derailleur for ones with bearings. It is a very easy swap. After that the secret is to keep those wheels and chain really clean. Most of our Racer/Riders in our club are running 105. A few are running SRAM Rival (equivalent to 105 as is Campy Veloce). An afterthought: By changing the jockey wheels to light ones with bearings, you in effect, will have all the shifting smoothness of Dura-Ace at a fraction of the cost--just a bit heavier. The front derailleur is a wash. 105 is really no different than Ultegra and D-A in smoothness. Top it off with Jagwire cables and you have a "New" Cannondale and a second bike for lousy weather. Do write down the measurements for the C`dale and transfer the same measurements to your "other" bike. Be sure your new bike is the same size. I would also stop at every Yard Sale and Garage Sale if you see a bike. A friend found an older Specialized Allez with 105 Grouppo for $50. The Allez was a 52cm--entirely too small for him--but he got a good component set, stem, seatpost and saddle, handlebars, brakes, cables, and a nice set of wheels. He sold the 52cm frameset to a small woman for $50. I set the bike up for her--she got a Sora Grouppo on Ebay fairly cheap. She now has a nice bike at a fraction of what a new Allez would have cost.

Old January 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #89
diablo250
Crafty Salesman....

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 06 sv650sf

1. 08 Time VXS Translink
2. Quattro Assi Custom
3. KHS something or another (early 70s. my bar bike)
4. Dahon Fold-a-bike (murdered out black)
5.Gary fisher hard tail single speed (or 2x9 depending on the day)
6.IRO Mark V Pro
8.08Giant Trance X1

I have been gravitating towards my moto more and more-not out of laziness, but safety. Whenever I go out on the ninja, I have boots, gloves, pants, jacket and full face. When I go out on my roadie, I have spandex, spandex, and well....you get the point. I have never been hurt as badly as I have in road bicycle crashes. 11 years of racing/training and i feel like an old man (I'm 23). My last crash was at about 26mph directly on my bad knee, on some brand new grippy asphalt. I couldn't walk for a week; will have the scars for the rest of my life.

I still work in a bike shop, but it's more out of convenience and ease-no paperwork to take home. That being said, anyone who needs ANYTHING bike related, PM me with your queries and I can most likely get a fellow 250 rider a good deal.

Old January 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #90
Sailariel

Certainly have had a few good crashes myself. Spandex is certainly not protective. At this point, I am EXTREMELY careful---at age 68, things tend to break. I still enjoy riding between 15 and 20 miles daily in good weather. I also do charity rides and centuries. Right now I have a very complete home bike shop and feel competent to fix almost anything. I don`t have the tool to ream a bottom bracket housing or a steerer tube. I take that stuff to our LBS. We have a great relationship. I work on the older bikes--late 70`s to late 80` and 90`s. Eventually these people want to upgrade, and end up buying a new bike from him. I get all my parts from him at a discount. I also "Re-comission" Mart bikes. In the past five years, I have only seen one Mart bike assembled properly. Usually all the cones feel like they were tightened by a Sumo Wrestler and the bearings lubed with bacon grease. Keeps me busy. Most of our migrant Blueberry pickers ride Mart bikes. They get them to me before any miles are put on them, and I set them up for them---a great group of people. They also stay in great shape riding these pretend Mountain bikes with their super-agressive tires. They eventually put street tires on them--which sometimes cost almost as much as the bike. I do the migrants bikes free. They only get charged for parts when they absolutely need them, and then it is for the same price I get them for.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #91
T-?
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki 250R

I ride a custom set up that I built 2 years ago. Its a Leader Bike USA frame set, with SRAM Froce gruppo, and Neuvation Aero wheelset. Its my baby But the wifey doesn't understand. I bought her a Cannondale roadie, I don't remember which one (it's not mine, so I don't have to) but she doesn't have the same passion for I do.

Good luck on the Tri's! I have done quite a few sprints, a handfull of Olympic, and one Half. I love the longer distance more, I'm not very fast but I endure. I've got a Full Iron planned for 2012 in Europe for a family vacation :P
T-? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #92
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-? View Post
I ride a custom set up that I built 2 years ago. Its a Leader Bike USA frame set, with SRAM Froce gruppo, and Neuvation Aero wheelset. Its my baby But the wifey doesn't understand. I bought her a Cannondale roadie, I don't remember which one (it's not mine, so I don't have to) but she doesn't have the same passion for I do.

Good luck on the Tri's! I have done quite a few sprints, a handfull of Olympic, and one Half. I love the longer distance more, I'm not very fast but I endure. I've got a Full Iron planned for 2012 in Europe for a family vacation :P
Tony, I still like to build them because I end up with what I want. So far I have several bikes: Two DAHON Stainless 3SP Folders for the boat, an Eddy Merckx Custom-Scandium frame, CF Fork, Ritchey wheels, seatpost, stem, handlebars, Shimano 105 10Sp, Truvativ Elita Triple, FSA BB, Campy Chorus brakes. Also a Fuji Finest AL upgraded to 105 and CF fork, A 1981 Univega Competitzione with TruVativ Elita triple,FSA BB, Matrix Wheels, and SORA Grouppo, 1979 Univega Viva Sport--all original restoration, Nashbar Touring, set up with Suntour MTB Group, Bar-end shifters, Nasnbar panniers, Axiom rack, and Nashbar Topper. Wheels: American Wheelsmith, 105 hubs, DK Swiss SS spokes, HID Lights. All the bikes with the exception of the two DAHONs and the Univega Viva Sport have WTB Street Smart saddles. Right now I have a bike for all conditions. Most of the bikes have 700x25 MAXXIS Fuse tires, with the exception of the Touring bike which has Conti Gatorskins.

Old January 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #93
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Neil, Congrats on your second child. The plan for your Cannondale is a really good one. Ultegra is nice, but IMO 105 is just as good. Unless you are a pro, you would not notice. For about $35 you can get a 105 to perform better than the Ultegra---simply swap out the jockey wheels in your derailleur for ones with bearings. It is a very easy swap. After that the secret is to keep those wheels and chain really clean. Most of our Racer/Riders in our club are running 105. A few are running SRAM Rival (equivalent to 105 as is Campy Veloce). An afterthought: By changing the jockey wheels to light ones with bearings, you in effect, will have all the shifting smoothness of Dura-Ace at a fraction of the cost--just a bit heavier. The front derailleur is a wash. 105 is really no different than Ultegra and D-A in smoothness. Top it off with Jagwire cables and you have a "New" Cannondale and a second bike for lousy weather. Do write down the measurements for the C`dale and transfer the same measurements to your "other" bike. Be sure your new bike is the same size. I would also stop at every Yard Sale and Garage Sale if you see a bike. A friend found an older Specialized Allez with 105 Grouppo for $50. The Allez was a 52cm--entirely too small for him--but he got a good component set, stem, seatpost and saddle, handlebars, brakes, cables, and a nice set of wheels. He sold the 52cm frameset to a small woman for $50. I set the bike up for her--she got a Sora Grouppo on Ebay fairly cheap. She now has a nice bike at a fraction of what a new Allez would have cost.
thanks, the bike is a full 105 (minus the STIs) already, i will look up the jockey wheels. i wish i would have thought about that this weekend because i completely disassembled the RD for a full lube and grease. bike just got all new jagwire cables and housings as well. I like the 105 set, i just figured if I was going to get a new group to start with a no wear set, I would go a little lighter. I do really like the 10spd 105 in the black though - very sharp. Saw a whole takeoff group for $400 on ebay in 105/black. Just got a $450 electric bill today, and we are still waiting on the baby to come, though so no bike/motocycle/car stuff for now

Old January 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #94
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Would it be hard to convert a Cannondale M400 mountain bike to a hybrid?

I need to put new gears on it, but I am thinking of trying to go with the skinny road wheels, etc. Is it possible to do?

I don't like the thick road wheels on my stock rims. I'd prefer to have the skinny 700x23c that I have on my Trek 1.5. If I can convert, then there is no need to purchase new. Maybe even putting drop bars on it so the bike could maybe be used for cyclocross.

Old January 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #95
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

I have a Softride R1 Classic with Ultegra and a Rev-X wheelset, a Cannondale hybrid, and a Bianchi Pista (track bike - it's nice to live in a city with a velodrome). I was a human-powered 2-wheel junkie before I was a motorized 2-wheel junkie.

As far as off-season conditioning, I have a Cycle-Ops spin bike, complete with Powertap. It sits behind my sectional but in front of my tv. In the winter months, it's where I watch tv.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM   #96
Sailariel

Quote:
Would it be hard to convert a Cannondale M400 mountain bike to a hybrid?

I need to put new gears on it, but I am thinking of trying to go with the skinny road wheels, etc. Is it possible to do?

I don't like the thick road wheels on my stock rims. I'd prefer to have the skinny 700x23c that I have on my Trek 1.5. If I can convert, then there is no need to purchase new. Maybe even putting drop bars on it so the bike could maybe be used for cyclocross.
The wheels would pose a problem since the V-brakes are set up for a 26" wheel. I would check with your LBS and see what the skinniest road tire fitting a 26" rim would be. If you get drop bars, you would need shifters and different brake levers because road levers are incompatible with V- brakes. It would be much cheaper to find a Cross Frame and a used road bike, and cannibalize the road bike. Bike Nashbar has a good Cross frame for a good price.

Old January 21st, 2010, 02:20 PM   #97
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Thanks, I'll look into a frame. Plus it would give me a chance to set it up the way I want it to be.

WOW, that frame is CHEAP!!

Would I be better off with road forks or MTB forks for a cyclo-x frame?

Old January 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM   #98
Sailariel

Mark, I have the same frame. You don`t want a road fork or MTB fork. You want a Cross Fork that takes cantiliever brakes. I built that frame up as a touring bike. I got mine through Nashbar and ordered it with a chromemolly fork. The frame was Aluminum and painted a beautiful metallic green.

Old January 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM   #99
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I may pick up that frame and just piece it together as time goes on. If not used as a cross bike, it could always be used on some dry trails.

I'll have to ponder it for a little while.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM   #100
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Ninja for street, bike for dirt.

'09 Specialized FSRxc Comp replacing a tired '05 HardRock

Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:23 PM   #101
Sailariel

Josh, I like your new bike. Great choice! I have a friend who has one and does all sorts of technical stuff with it. That bike is bulletproof.

Old January 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #102
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I actually took my road bike offroad for the first time yesterday. I was surprised how easily it managed. Now before you all freak out, it was pretty smooth dirt. Nothing with big ruts like I would take my mountain bike out on.

I now see why people like cyclocross.

Old January 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #103
diablo250
Crafty Salesman....

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 06 sv650sf

It's a bit short on notice, buuuut....for any road cyclists in the Los Angeles area, the Adageo pro team will be holding a community ride leaving at 8:00 am from santa monica. This is a great opportunity to get out and ride with the pros-don't worry, they won't be going hard.

adageoenergyprocycling.com

Ocean and San Vicente 8:00am.

Old February 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM   #104
Sailariel

It was 19F yesterday and the roads were clear. Put some air in the tyres and decided to take a ride with my touring bike--has 700x32 Tyres, mudguards, etc. I dressed warm and had an absolutely great time. As long as the roads are clear, I plan to ride as much as possible---get rid of that winter flab. Anyway, it was good to be on the road again--those stationary bikes, trainers, and spin classes are BORING. I`ll take the road anyday.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:35 AM   #105
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

i had been riding 15 mile stints in 20-30F weather here for the last couple weeks, it sucks but is a somewhat bearable means to an end. Since our newborn came into this world last Tuesday I have had time to do NOTHING. Kinda the way it goes.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM   #106
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
those stationary bikes, trainers, and spin classes are BORING. I`ll take the road anyday.
I agree to a point. Heavy wind days, low visibility days, I'll take a trainer over the road. People in Houston have a hard enough time just driving on a clear day, never mind a low visibility day.

I plan on building a small table that sits just above my handlebars. That way when I am on the trainer, I can put my laptop in front of me and watch a movie. It is like the road to me. Normally the scenery keeps my mind off of what I am doing where I enjoy the ride, even if I am pushing myself. Well playing a movie on it would do the same thing. Not to mention I can read the forums while I work out. Multitasking FTW!!!

Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:08 AM   #107
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I have to do that Neil. I really need to get out in the colder weather so I can test me gear and determine what I need to add to my collection to make cold rides enjoyable.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:08 AM   #108
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
I have to do that Neil. I really need to get out in the colder weather so I can test me gear and determine what I need to add to my collection to make cold rides enjoyable.
I currently wear underarmour style cold gear long sleeve shirt, a fleece zip up, and then a wind breaker. On the bottom I have leg warmers, cycling shorts, polar knee warmers, neoprene shoe covers, and wool socks. Also a wicking stocking cap with a wool beanie cap over it and windproof insulated gloves. Its tolerable at 25F but any lower and its hard to keep from having the cold really effect muscle performance.

the really sucky thing is that after a 15-20 mi ride like that, all of it is sweaty and nasty and has to be washed.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM   #109
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Wow.

I have knee warmers, leg warmers, warm up pants, but have never had them all on together. I need to try that.

My problem was that the crank snagged on my pants and ripped them. I did just get some velcro straps to put around my leg to hold the pant away from the crank.

I'll give it a try later on to see how well it does.

Never thought of wearing the leg warmer and the knee warmer together. Thanks for the idea.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #110
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
i had been riding 15 mile stints in 20-30F weather here for the last couple weeks, it sucks but is a somewhat bearable means to an end. Since our newborn came into this world last Tuesday I have had time to do NOTHING. Kinda the way it goes.
Congratulations on the newborn. Does not surprise me that your time is totally taken up for the time being. Been there 25 years ago with a teen and a pre-teen. Quite a culture shock marrying into a ready made family. It was well worth it--no regrets. Enjoy the kids. They get older fast and just become a memory as they get out on their own. Lots of time for bicycling---I started in 2004 and now have my own shop. Bicycling at age 68 is both enjoyable and healthy. I don`t have to go fast---then again, a short ride is 15mi--most of my rides are 30+mi.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 04:44 AM   #111
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

thank you, kids are amazing - mine really enrich my life. It definately offsets the time, money, and energy it takes to be a parent. I like to ride longer rides, up to 50ish miles. I am a newbie cyclist so I haven't done a century ride yet, but when its spring/summer/fall my average ride is around 30 miles. With it being cold when I have time I just saddle up, try and hit it hard for 15mi and come back in. On 15mi shorties I try and keep my average speed up pretty close to 20 mph, on 30-50 mi rides I let it drop down to 17-18 mph.

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #112
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I was supposed to do a MS150 training ride, but I was up late last night so I passed on the ride this morning.

Now I really wish I went.

I guess I'll pick up around the house then go ride my bicycle later today. It is clear and sunny. Just amazing weather. High is around 60* today. WOOHOOO!

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #113
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

we have a couple inches of snow on the ground - looks like the bike is staying in the garage

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #114
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

Anyone ride bicycles ??

Does anyone else ride Mountain Bikes ? Or road bikes for that matter? I'm shopping for a new road bike now. We have some really nice trails in the area. I have always liked to ride mountain bikes. This is my latest creation. It was my back up bike. I just mod'd the hell out of it. Here are the specs.

2007 Trek 4300 w/ alot of mods.
RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air
Sram X.7 Derailleurs & Shifters
Sram 970 9-Speed Casette
Sram 971 Chain
Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers
Kool Stop MTD Pads
Panaracer Fire XC Pro Tires
Shimano PD-M520 Pedals
BG2 Sport Saddle
Odi Ruffian Lock On Grips
Cateye Micro Wireless

JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #115
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I shall direct you.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35132

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #116
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #117
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

more snow this morning - I am gonna get even fatter

Old February 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #118
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I hear that. I got a sinus infection AGAIN. So I have to take it easy. Shame, it is really nice out side. Well, I may go ride a quick 10 just to get out...

Old February 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #119
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

Thumbs up

Thanks Mark and Alex

I completely misses it.
JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #120
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerSeven View Post
Thanks Mark and Alex

I completely misses it.
Joker, Nice job on that Trek. You should have a ball on it.