ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

I'm Missing A Part, Aren't I?

I've been having a problem of getting rain water in my gas tank when parked out side. After looking the tank over (and having to drain it a few times due to excess water) I noticed it looks like i'm missing that little rubber seal, correct? I mean, it's not there so i'm guessing last time i had the tank off to dump out the gas/water, that rubber seal fell off.

Think this missing seal is the reason I'm getting water in the tank? I have to go to work tonight and it is supposed to rain, would it be possible to cover that hole while i'm parked or will too much pressure build up in the tank? Thanks guys.

az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
That's the filler for high test gas.

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
az3200
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
That's the filler for high test gas.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means. Can you explain?

Old October 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'm pretty sure he is just talkin junk... Hi test gas is premium or race gas, I don't call it high test unless its racin fuel, but have heard plenty of hoity toity types say they only use high test in their Mercedes hahaha Buffy stop it he said it was caviar... But I knew it was beluga ha ha ha tee times at 4 chaio

My bikes up the road, but it does look like your missin something, can't look at mine and say though

Old October 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
I've been having a problem of getting rain water in my gas tank when parked out side.........
Note the conical part that gets inserted in that opening.

Check this thread for pictures of internal parts:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102020

Is it possible that your drain tube or hose are plugged or kinked, interfering with the normal drainage of rain?

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #6
az3200
ninjette.org member

^ I'm not sure, but I will be sure to check now. No time today though. What are some possible issue that could arise without having that part? It's part 92093 in this picture. It also says (CA) next to it so i'm guessing this to be a part specific to the CA model ninjettes, which mine happens to be.

Old October 7th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Hey, my drawings and picture showed up in the wild!

If you're getting water in the tank when it rains you either need a new filler cap gasket (or something is wrong and preventing that gasket from sealing with the tank neck) or the drain tube in the tank is rusted out.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
az3200
ninjette.org member

I'm pretty sure the filler cap gasket isn't the problem. It looks to be in good condition. Is there a way of testing whether or not the drain tube in the gas tank is rusted out? other than cutting the tank in half?

Old October 8th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #9
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Under the right side of the filler cap area is another hole like that, it's the hole that feeds the tube in the cutaway tank picture and it drains the filler cap recess. You can use low-pressure compressed air to blow in one end of that tube and feel pressure on the other end, with no hissing inside the tank. The hole in your picture (on the uphill side of the recess when the bike is on its sidestand) feeds vapor into the charcoal canister/pump assembly. You can test that the same way. Another way to test both tubes is to fill the tank all the way up to the filler neck and see if fuel drips out of either of the two tube ends at the back of the tank that are connected to those two holes. The third tube at the back of the tank is the liquid return from the canister/pump assembly, it dumps out at the very top of the inside of the tank.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Hey, my drawings and picture showed up in the wild!

If you're getting water in the tank when it rains you either need a new filler cap gasket (or something is wrong and preventing that gasket from sealing with the tank neck) or the drain tube in the tank is rusted out.
I was just about to ask where those visualizations came from but on my way down the page I got my answer.

Thanks!

Now I know what it look like under the tank's notorious spot-welded fairing mount and I know what the inside looks like.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 10th, 2014 at 02:38 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote