ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

View Poll Results: How long after you got the bike did you drop/crash it?
within the first week 174 18.16%
within the first month 179 18.68%
within 6 months 201 20.98%
within the first year 66 6.89%
within the first five years 40 4.18%
I crashed after 5 years of owning my ninjette 5 0.52%
I've never dropped it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 293 30.58%
Voters: 958. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
kkim

I Have Crashed/Dropped My Ninjette...

With all the crashing going on in the forum, I thought it would be a good idea to see how long owners have had their bikes before a mishap occurred.

Don't worry, it's not a public poll so no one will know how you voted or who you are, so please be truthful.

By dropping/crashing, I'm asking about any incident that caused any damage to you or your bike.

I know the results will be skewed by new owners answering that they've never dropped their bikes when they have only owned them for a month or so. Still, I think you will be surprised by the poll results.

To the new bike owners, this poll was designed for your benefit... please take the time to examine the results and take them to heart.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I am not ashamed.

Got Tyke in May of 06 dropped her September of 06.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #3
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

I don't know about you blokes but I'm spot on
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM   #4
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I never dropped my ninja, I only had it for 2 months though...
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

semi dropped mine getting it off the trailer last time. i was exahusted from a weekend at the track and loosened up the tie downs while when i wasn't even on the trailer holding onto the bike... haha.

no damage though. it just fell over on the railing on the side of the trailer.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM   #6
karatcake
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kara

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I've had my bike 6 weeks and have dropped the poor thing twice. Both times in the first week, both during stopping - once on a hill and once because I forgot to straighten up.
karatcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM   #7
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Had my bike about a year (6500 miles) and have had no drops and no crashes. Now if the poll question was "How many times have you come close to dropping/crashing your ninjette?" then I would have a different answer.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #8
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Dropped her on both side when i wasn't even on it and once at a stop where there was broken pavement before i lowered it.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM   #9
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Mine was highsided before I got it, but the damages was repaired before I bought and I never saw what it was. I was stopped on the side of the road and trying to back it out a small hole and just fell over, small scratches on the side that are hardly noticeable. I also ran off the road and stopped later with a twig sticking out of the front end, the rider I was with noticed it and wanted to know what happened.

little conversation there that I won't go into(can't remember it all), we both still laugh about it, although in private.

nb

Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatcake View Post
I've had my bike 6 weeks and have dropped the poor thing twice. Both times in the first week, both during stopping - once on a hill and once because I forgot to straighten up.
welcome to ninjette, Kara.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #11
Neema12
ninjette.org member

Name: Neema

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

I have been riding for about 3 weeks and have yet to fall yay!

Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
OK, this really isn't a 250 story, but it is a funny crash story.

I have a friend who is pretty weird. He looks like Andrew Zimmern and acts like Alan on Two and a Half Men (he is a chiropractor also). He has a Kawi 650 KLR but has always wanted a Harley. He was just at the Harley dealer (where he goes to drool over the bikes after lunch at least once a week, for over a year or more) sitting on a Super Glide when he dropped the bike into another bike. He didn't put the kickstand down all tha way and did a semi-domino affect. Well he felt bad and told the salesman, who was in shock, that if they take the damaged fender off the bike he fell on and put it on the bike he was sitting on, he would buy the bike. So he finally got a Harley. Not the one he has always wanted but at least he got a Harley.

The story gets even funnier. Today I asked him if has riden the bike and if he liked it. He said he has put 10 miles on it and said it isn't easy to ride and he likes the Kawi better. I told him it will get better once he gets used to it. He told me he is giving it to his son.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #13
billmi
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 82 XV750, 99 DR200SE, 04 DR200SE, 08 DR200SE, 95 EX250

My first bike as a 1980 DT-100 (actually my mothers but after she parked it under her car when "it lurched forward even though it was in neutral with the clutch in" I rode it through high school). I've no clue how many times I dumped that bike, riding it like a crazy teenager. I mastered things like breaking the tail light off on a curb while riding a wheelie across a curb down into a parking lot. I went off of it both low and high side at speeds from 0 to 40 mph - typically in jeans, a textile (non motorcycle, non armored) jacket and full face helmet, both on roads and in dirt.

My next bike was a 1982 XV750 that my wife and I bought when I was 21. The first year we were married that was our only vehicle, so it got a lot of miles from Central California up through the Sierras, Napa, the Bay Area, So Cal, the Central Coast and up as far as Ukiah. I dropped it once, at less than 5mph the back wheel slid out from under me (I stayed standing) while I was rolling it slowly across an ice patch. That bike was eventually sold, and in 1999 we bought a DR-200, which I've never dropped.

4 or 5 years ago, we got another XV750 (an 82) which is my primary vehicle now that my wife got her motorcycle endorsement and learned to ride the 200. I haven't dropped it either.

My Ninjette is still under reconstruction, so there's been no opportunities to drop it yet.

IMHO, I attribute riding without falls for the last 20 years to two things. One, riding like a maniac when I was young, and crashing a lot off road, and some on-road, getting the feel for what it's like to be on a bike that's both on the edge of losing control, and also losing control, to know that that feels like. When you know where the edge is, it's easier to keep a safer distance from it. And two, not having medical insurance for most of my adult life, and riding with all the more caution.
billmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:47 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmi View Post
My first bike as a 1980 DT-100 (actually my mothers but after she parked it under her car when "it lurched forward even though it was in neutral with the clutch in" I rode it through high school). I've no clue how many times I dumped that bike, riding it like a crazy teenager. I mastered things like breaking the tail light off on a curb while riding a wheelie across a curb down into a parking lot. I went off of it both low and high side at speeds from 0 to 40 mph - typically in jeans, a textile (non motorcycle, non armored) jacket and full face helmet, both on roads and in dirt.

My next bike was a 1982 XV750 that my wife and I bought when I was 21. The first year we were married that was our only vehicle, so it got a lot of miles from Central California up through the Sierras, Napa, the Bay Area, So Cal, the Central Coast and up as far as Ukiah. I dropped it once, at less than 5mph the back wheel slid out from under me (I stayed standing) while I was rolling it slowly across an ice patch. That bike was eventually sold, and in 1999 we bought a DR-200, which I've never dropped.

4 or 5 years ago, we got another XV750 (an 82) which is my primary vehicle now that my wife got her motorcycle endorsement and learned to ride the 200. I haven't dropped it either.

My Ninjette is still under reconstruction, so there's been no opportunities to drop it yet.

IMHO, I attribute riding without falls for the last 20 years to two things. One, riding like a maniac when I was young, and crashing a lot off road, and some on-road, getting the feel for what it's like to be on a bike that's both on the edge of losing control, and also losing control, to know that that feels like. When you know where the edge is, it's easier to keep a safer distance from it. And two, not having medical insurance for most of my adult life, and riding with all the more caution.
Have you ever had a car? Not that you ever need one.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM   #15
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I haven't dropped the ninjette, but my wife did on her fourth lesson on it. Back when I had the SV650 I dropped it several times, but never at speed, no injuries and just some small scrapes and a ding to the tank. I did run a little Trail 90 into a chain link fence when I was 16. That hurt like hell. I have also wrecked on dirt bikes, and snowmobiles.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #16
billmi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Have you ever had a car? Not that you ever need one.
Yep. My wife and I have one car, which I do drive when it's raining harder than I am comfortable riding in, or when carrying something or someone impractical to take on a motorcycle. I do count myself lucky to have only lived in areas that have year-round riding weather.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #17
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Had my 06' for 11 months and 2 weeks before we went down ...
2 more weeks and I could have said within 5 years ... !@#i#@!

Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM   #18
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Had mine less than 10 minutes. Had a couple close calls since.
Lightly circled the most noticable damage after dropping it in mulch when I jumped a curb. Also bent the front fairing bracket.

DSC02889a.jpg

Last futzed with by Momaru; August 23rd, 2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: pics
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #19
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Bill, have you been to the private track in Palm Bay yet? There is a development down there where they put the roads in but never built any houses. I forget who told me about it but it is a beautiful place to have some fun with your bike.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM   #20
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Yep!

I've only dropped mine once, and it didn't actually hit all the way down. I was in a driveway turning around and tried to back up into the road. There was a slight pavement raise (like a mini curb, but very small). In trying to back up over that little incline and being unsuccessful a couple of times, the 3rd time was the charm that tipped the bike. lol! Not a scratch on it, however, the gear shifter wouldn't work, so I had to ride all the way home stuck in 2nd. THAT was weird. Hubby fixed it right up though. Lesson learned...go FORWARD over hard inclines, no matter how small they may appear.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #21
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

At the point where the drive way and street met at a decline couldnt touch the ground drop it slow but broke the left turn light and had it only for 2 months been good since

Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM   #22
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Only had mine about three weeks... no drops yet.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #23
billmi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Bill, have you been to the private track in Palm Bay yet? There is a development down there where they put the roads in but never built any houses. I forget who told me about it but it is a beautiful place to have some fun with your bike.
Locally it's known as The Compound. I live less than 2 miles from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_compound

Off the north edge of it is Bombardier's test lake and test track. We had flat black Can Am Spyders cruizing around the neighborhood about a year before they went public.

The main roads are in decent shape, but you have to watch it for potholes - lower speed pre-running the roads out there is pretty much necessary, or you can come around a blind corner into a car rim, refrigerator, tree (in some of the roads trees have grown up in the middle of the street) or whatever else got dumped or grew out there. It has a very Mad Max feel to it.

A few years ago, the police cracked down on the street racing, paintball games and off-road riding out there, so it's pretty quiet anymore. I have a friend who lived here in the 80s, and he said the drag races out there were huge, and when the police showed up, they used their speed guns to time the runs.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM   #24
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

dropped mine last nite ): still pissed about it. slid across the parking lot slipped on a wet spot and lost control.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM   #25
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thankfuly I have never dropped my bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM   #26
Courteau
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

my wife drop my bike the night i got it (she was getting her the next morning)

and to change the side fairing...
Courteau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #27
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Mine blew over in high winds, but I was in the process of getting off... does that count?

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM   #28
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
Mine blew over in high winds, but I was in the process of getting off... does that count?
lol... it's not a contest, so you be the judge. you're the only one that honestly knows.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM   #29
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lol... it's not a contest, so you be the judge. you're the only one that honestly knows.
I would say "no", but I checked the "6 months" on the poll.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #30
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 2010 yamaha fz6r raven

i dropped mine practicing the box figure 8 the day before my msf skills test. minor ding on the muffler, i caught her before she went all the way down and i had to muscle her up.
richierich781 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #31
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Ive had mine for 2 months and just dropped it a week ago, twice within 5 min of each other. First I was out riding after cleaning my chain to get it warmed up, was practicing tightening up my U-turns, bike was a little cold and started to stall on my mid turn, I grabbed the clutch and the bike just went down, I caught it right as it touched the ground though.
Second, right after I got home I was lubing the chain, I was pushing it around and I wanted to check if I was in second or first gear, because I shut it off in gear, I was clicking it down and it was just flopping around and would not engage any gear, I reached down to mess with my shifter while holding it up with the handle bar with my other hand(big mistake) and the bike fell over on the right side, I tried to catch it again but this time I just fell right on top of it, picked it back up and it clicked right into gear(there I fixed it), no damage either time so I got lucky.
Also before my U-turn drop I had been doing pretty well, now I just cant seem to turn sharp enough like my body just wont let me, anybody else have this problem.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #32
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich781 View Post
i dropped mine practicing the box figure 8 the day before my msf skills test. minor ding on the muffler, i caught her before she went all the way down and i had to muscle her up.
The thing that's the clincher is that the figure 8 inst exactly worth a lot on the msf test, actually if I remember my MSF test, the instructor told us not to sweat it, its actually the lowest point value on the test.
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #33
Lars
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustler753 View Post
The thing that's the clincher is that the figure 8 inst exactly worth a lot on the msf test, actually if I remember my MSF test, the instructor told us not to sweat it, its actually the lowest point value on the test.
I believe you can lose up to 3 points on the figure 8 drill, which is very little compared to what you can lose on the other drills.

Back on topic, I've had my '09 250r since April and has just under 3000 miles currently. I haven't dropped or crashed it (yet).

/knocks on wood
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #34
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

got her 8/6/08, found the fence post 8/8/08...
Thankfully have been incident free for over 1300 miles and almost a year now

Old August 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #35
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

haha "found the fence post" was there any damage to the bike from that?

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #36
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I marked within 5 years but I guess that's kinda a lie but really its not my fault! Second day I had my brandy new 08 I parked it in the garage,tucked it in and said goodnight. Went out the next morning,it was on its side with the kickstand off. Long story short, kickstand malfunction was covered under warrenty and all related damaged was fixed on there dime.

My real tip over happened 3 weeks after my one year anniversery with her
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #37
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

I've had mind since March 09 and just dropped it a week ago. Was stopping at a rest area off the highway to adjust my jacket and I thought I put the kickstand down, I was in a slight incline and I started tipping her a bit to put her on the stand and she felt waaay heavier for waaay longer haha... I went down with her cause the weight pushed my leg. So embarrassing Then I had a tough time pushing her back up. I was a little paniced cause gas was starting to leak out. An older man came to help me and all he said was "wow, that's a lot heavier than I thought."
I have close to 2k miles on her and I'm grateful not to have had any big crashes. Several close calls with drivers that don't look.
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #38
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Needs a "half dropped" option. Within the first couple months I forgot to put down the kickstand twice and very nearly dropped 'er if not for my surprising ability to hold the bike inches off the ground. First time was pure brain fart, second time I had sleepiness to blame (moving the bike after getting home at 2:00 AM).

Old August 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #39
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

I dropped mine by parking it in my driveway broadside to the prevailing wind. I came back a few hours later to find it flipped over and a crack in the side fairing.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #40
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

i dropped mine when i slipped doin 20mph in a parking lot... and it didn't crack.. thats amazing how sometimes the fairings crack just from the wind knocking it over