ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2019, 01:15 AM   #1
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

3rd iteration on a custom RAM Mount Wireless Phone Charger

Is there something that is a phone holder that can wirelessly charge at the same time?

I wanted to show on my take on one and created my version below.

I used a RAM Mount, took off the RAM Mount circle sticky backing, and super glued **EDIT: JB Weld NOT super glue** a separate wireless charger I bought on Amazon.

Plugging in the USB cable to the wireless charger, I was worried about water ingress into the USB port. I placed a small o ring around the metal male part that is on the USB cable, plugged it into the wireless charger, and used liquid electrical tape to seal it off from the outside.

Looking for any ideas to improve what I have.

I've been using this for a couple months and it hasn't shorted and can be used in rainy weather.

One of the problems I run into is when it's super hot out, the phone will step down it's rate of charge. Are there any products out there that could help draw heat away from the phone while it's on the charger? Like some kind of heat sink?

Last futzed with by nocturncal; October 2nd, 2019 at 06:01 PM.
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2019, 02:16 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hey, that's darn cool!

Super-glue dries hard and may not hold up to vibrations. If it comes off, you'll want to use 2-part epoxy next, the clear stuff that's slightly flexible to absorb vibrations.

Look into Peltier coolers to remove heat from phone. Only catch is they disperse heat on opposite surface, so it'll go into charger. Perhaps make metal heatsink platform above & below charger to draw heat away using Peltier coolers.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 2nd, 2019 at 12:19 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2019, 05:59 PM   #3
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hey, that's darn cool!

Super-glue dries hard and may not hold up to vibrations. If it comes off, you'll want to use 2-part epoxy next, the clear stuff that's slightly flexible to absorb vibrations.

Look into Peltier coolers to remove heat from phone. Only catch is they disperse heat on opposite surface, so it'll go into charger. Perhaps make metal heatsink platform above & below charger to draw heat away using Peltier coolers.
Ooh poop I misremembered, I did use jb weld to glue the wireless charger to the ram mount (it's been a couple months since I put together this version). Super glue was in the first iterations

Thanks for the tip, looks promising. This is my little part time project. I've got very little experience with electronic engineering n whatnot, so I'm learning as I go!

I'll try peltier coolers + metal heat sink on the next iteration and update with pics.

Right now when its really hot out, I'll rotate the ram Mount to where the wind can flow over my phone, and have the wind air cool it.
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote