ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you wear earplugs when you ride?
On every ride 89 32.84%
On most rides 57 21.03%
Only on long trips 43 15.87%
Never 65 23.99%
What? 17 6.27%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #41
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
Give the guy a break, the pipes were NOT his first choice, he wanted the factory pipes but they were far more expensive. I slightly remember the post back on KF when he had his factory pips stolen right off his bike.
He even mentioned that he is thinking about repacking them to try to quiet them down a bit.
I think he is just saying that since he ended up only being able to afford these pipes and they are loud, he has started to notice people paying a bit more attention to him.

I do NOT think loud pipes save lives and I do not like them on the street, however I will say that I DO notice bikes more easily with louder pipes sometimes. Maybe 10-20% of the time I will hear the bike, making me aware of it. But that's a small portion of the time and I don't think that making 10-20% of people more aware of you is worth the risk of making even more people pissed off at you.

I'm just saying give the guy a break, he isn't one of those kids that went out and purposely bought the loudest pipe he could find, he just got stuck with it for money issues.

edit-
Sorry, didn't realize that he didn't mention the cost of the pipes until his last post, guess I just remembered that back from his topic on KF. If I remember right, he really was trying hard to get factory pipes back on though.
Thanks man. Yeah being a student and getting screwed when someone stole my pipes were not in the brochure when i got the bike. The two bros were not only cheaper (TBR - $498, Yoshi - $535, Stockies - $899) they were also faster for me to get since they are made down the street from my dealership.

I owuld have loved to get stock pipes to preserve the look of the bike and for the chrome but when I heard the stockies cost more I was like alright Im gonna get the Two Bros.

I am gonna try repacking them this weekend just to lower it down a bit.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #42
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
If so, why? If not, why not?

I don't because I like to hear my surroundings and other traffic. In some states its even illegal to wear anything on or in your ears when driving on public roads.

Thanks for that mosquito ringtone link too! I can hear them all, even when the volume is way down.

I suppose the quality if your speakers matters too.

I often can't understand people when they talk, usually hear them just fine but can't figure out then words. I have read that this is one of the first signs of hearing loss, but I figure its just lazy-talking southern people. The greater the redneck, the harder I find them to understand.
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #43
Suey250
Da Peon

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I didn't right when I started riding, but figured I give it a try, but then after a group ride and every time we stop I couldn't hear what other people were saying unless I took off my helmet and plugs. A pain in the butt, everybody is leaving and I'm still getting my helmet and gloves back on. From then on I haven't been wearing them, guess I should rethink it huH?
Suey250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #44
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey250 View Post
I didn't right when I started riding, but figured I give it a try, but then after a group ride and every time we stop I couldn't hear what other people were saying unless I took off my helmet and plugs. A pain in the butt, everybody is leaving and I'm still getting my helmet and gloves back on. From then on I haven't been wearing them, guess I should rethink it huH?
Whats more important falling behind or your permanent hearing loss? I don't know about you but one is forever while you can always catch up with them.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #45
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
A pain in the butt, everybody is leaving and I'm still getting my helmet and gloves back on.
Lead by example. Using them is the right way to go, and eventually your buds will catch on as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #46
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Always...

I always wear my ear plugs, even if I'm only riding a block down the street. I actually "hear" my bike better with the plugs in. I'm also way more comfortable with them in. I'd like to keep my hearing, thank you.
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #47
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Yep, I always wear my earplugs, plus my gear ATGATT, even just when riding to the gas station, grocery store, or out on a test run.
Tony

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #48
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

In PA any hearing protection, cellphone Bluetooth ,or music audio device is illegal. Only thing they allow is rider-to-passenger in helmet communication devices. Guess my hearing is screwed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kolya1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #49
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Riding 1 mph over the speed limit is illegal as well, and it doesn't even help your hearing.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #50
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Quote:
... everybody is leaving and I'm still getting my helmet and gloves back on...
Better than being the squid no one wants to ride with

Plug 'em!

I gotta get some work done today...
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #51
Suey250
Da Peon

Alrighty, I'll make sure to get a pack for the spring..or............learn to read lips and sign language

Old December 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #52
kkim

Quote:
Alrighty, I'll make sure to get a pack for the spring..or............learn to read lips and sign language
your ears will thank you when you get older.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #53
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya1981 View Post
In PA any hearing protection, cellphone Bluetooth ,or music audio device is illegal. Only thing they allow is rider-to-passenger in helmet communication devices. Guess my hearing is screwed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you sure this isn't just for cars? I highly doubt they would tell us to do this at the MSF course if it was illegal. Either way I'm doing it
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #54
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Seems that is indeed the case in PA (even though the instructors recommended it).

In case you were wondering about your state check out this site

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Old December 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #55
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Earplugs were illegal in California up until 2005 or so. Ahnold allowed a bill to pass that included updates to the dmv prohibitions against earplugs. Used to be that only custom-molded ones prescribed by a doc would be OK; now any are OK if they are intended for hearing protection and the user can still hear emergency sirens.

Old December 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #56
beowuff
ninjette.org member

In Washington, you can have one ear piece in that has music or a cell phone, but you can't have both ears with headphones in. That's true for both bikes and cars. However, ear plugs are okay on the bike, as they don't keep you from hearing sirens or horns. Also, I can talk to my wife at a stop light when she's on her bike next to me. So, I don't buy people's arguments that they restrict hearing too much :-P

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #57
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Riding 1 mph over the speed limit is illegal as well.
True, but either way you look at it you are breaking the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Seems that is indeed the case in PA (even though the instructors recommended it).

In case you were wondering about your state check out this site

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp
Yup...stupid PA. I think it is pretty dumb. You are still going to hear a siren or a horn with hearing protection. I don't think there is anything that you would hear without ear plugs that you couldn't hear with ear plugs that actually matters.

-Nick

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #58
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

craaaaap Im only almost 19 and the highest I could hear is the 17 KHz...
aloh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #59
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloh View Post
craaaaap Im only almost 19 and the highest I could hear is the 17 KHz...
try using some headphones to listen to it. it could just be something to do with your speaker's frequency response that could be the limiting factor... not your hearing.

Old December 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #60
Suey250
Da Peon

I bought some laser lite earplugs....hope they work. Now too bad I have to wait 4 months to try them out. Maybe I can try them at a concert or something. Wear earplugs at a concert

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #61
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
...he isn't one of those kids that went out and purposely bought the loudest pipe he could find...
awww... I guess I shouldn't mention the scooter I have with a straight pipe in the works... LOL! It actually sounds like it has an engine now soon it will perform like it too!

But yeah, I'm really glad to hear that Cali changed it's laws regarding plugs. I've been riding my longer rides with noise cancling earbuds and it makes the long trips SO much more pleasant, riding 90+ miles/day, 4 days/week can get a bit tiring with no music!

Travis

Old December 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #62
Artood2s
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Arturo

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (The fast color)

My plugs are rated at 27 NRR. Do you guys think that will be enough?
Posted via Mobile Device
Artood2s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #63
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I think 27 NRR will be fine. I think the E-A-R ones we use are rated at 29, and I have seen some that are rated at 33. Getting them into your ear correctly is the most important factor; some folks may not realize how far they need to be in the ear canal to provide their rated noise protection.

Old December 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #64
NJD022588
============

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I never knew that wind noise causes hearing loss. I thought people chose to wear them to make it a more calming ride. I chose not to since I always rely on hearing the engine while riding/driving. When I'm driving my car, I never listen to the music loud so I can hear the engine.

I might have to rethink this since I now know you can still hear the engine well while wearing ear plugs.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #65
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD022588 View Post
I might have to rethink this since I now know you can still hear the engine well while wearing ear plugs.
The funny thing is, I can actually "hear" my bike better with the ear plugs in! There's less wind noise, so the engine noise is clearer. I seem to be able to "feel" the engine better also. I think this may be due to less distracting noise...

At least give it a try. And by try, I mean more then one day. It took me about 2 weeks of using them almost every day to get used to them.

As far as music and riding, I can't stand music... I like to listen to the bike and what's going on around me (other cars, etc.) I've been doing a week long ride every summer, and only used music for one day on the first year of riding. I found it way too distracting... To each their own :-P

Old December 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #66
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yup, you can definitely hear the engine just fine with earplugs in. Even the best ones don't mute the world, they just turn the volume down to safe levels.

I do find that when I'm riding to the gas station without plugs, I can now hear some of the higher-pitched rattling or other unpleasant engine noises that are more muted with plugs. Put the plugs back in, and the engine sounds fine.

Old December 11th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #67
aloh
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
try using some headphones to listen to it. it could just be something to do with your speaker's frequency response that could be the limiting factor... not your hearing.
Just tried it...still cant hear anything past 17Khz.

I'll be officially deaf when im 40.

Old December 11th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #68
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

The law for HEADPHONES requires you to have one ear free (In Cali). Then again I've been pulled over thus far two times and haven't heard a peep about sporting ear buds in both ears. I don't know of any of my friends who ride who have been pulled over OR ticketed for wearing headphones or ear buds...

Here in Southern California the freeway speeds move rather quickly and the once or twice in the past couple of months where I don't wear my ear buds on the freeway, the wind noise is alarmingly loud! I wear noise canceling ear-buds and that allows me to:

A) listen to music on a very low volume and still hear it
B) block out a majority of the wind noise and still have the ability to hear what's going on around me.

VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #69
aloh
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
The law for HEADPHONES requires you to have one ear free (In Cali). Then again I've been pulled over thus far two times and haven't heard a peep about sporting ear buds in both ears. I don't know of any of my friends who ride who have been pulled over OR ticketed for wearing headphones or ear buds...

Here in Southern California the freeway speeds move rather quickly and the once or twice in the past couple of months where I don't wear my ear buds on the freeway, the wind noise is alarmingly loud! I wear noise canceling ear-buds and that allows me to:

A) listen to music on a very low volume and still hear it
B) block out a majority of the wind noise and still have the ability to hear what's going on around me.

What headphones do you have?

I currently have Shure E2's. Theyve served me well for 2 years. I havent used them while riding yet though.

Old December 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #70
NJD022588
============

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloh View Post
What headphones do you have?

I currently have Shure E2's. Theyve served me well for 2 years. I havent used them while riding yet though.
Shure earphones seem like they would work well while riding since they seem to go in/plug the ear. They advertise that they are noise-blocking.

I have the Bose in-ear headphones. They sound great, but I'm not sure how they would work with loud noises since they don't completely plug the ear.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...ones/index.jsp
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #71
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

I noticed today that I can't hear anything above the 16k on my home speakers. I can hear up to 20k on my cell phone, anything 17k and up on my cell phone is downright PAINFUL! But on my NICE speakers at work I can hear all of them!

I think the quality of their speakers can account for many folk's inability to hear some of the higher tones.
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #72
Sailariel

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I tried some of the foam ear plugs and found them to be really uncomfortable. Bought a set of Browning Ear Plugs designed for shooters. They were expensive and very uncomfortable. Does anybody on this forum have some recommendations?
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #73
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I guess it depends on what made them uncomfortable. Was it the material? the shape? I know that the E-A-R classic yellow foamies come in 3 different sizes, standard + large + small. I always just get the standard ones but maybe you'd want to try the small ones to see if they are more comfortable.

These guys offer a "try-em-all" pack of 28 different types/sizes of foam earplugs for $15. Once you find which ones you like, then just order a big-ass box of those.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp.html

Old December 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #74
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I guess it depends on what made them uncomfortable. Was it the material? the shape? I know that the E-A-R classic yellow foamies come in 3 different sizes, standard + large + small. I always just get the standard ones but maybe you'd want to try the small ones to see if they are more comfortable.

These guys offer a "try-em-all" pack of 28 different types/sizes of foam earplugs for $15. Once you find which ones you like, then just order a big-ass box of those.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp.html
Thanks for the link - I'm going to give them a try!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #75
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

People were always harping how great "Skull Candy" ear buds are, but mine lasted like a week before one fell apart and the other one shorted out or something. The quality was horrid (for $30 ear buds too!)...

Now I have some Sony ones that were like $40, and I wear them everytime I ride AND at the gym. I beat on those things and they work phenomenonaly (sp??) ... Just make sure if you go the ear bud route that they go IN the ear and have different sized rubber buds. The little round head phones that just lay in the ears are the debil!
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #76
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I listen to my Ipod. I have the skull candy buds as well. I only use the one in the right ear though. (Left dominate) So that I can hear arround me. That and I think it is illegal to have both ears with the buds in it.

Old December 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #77
camaroz1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
People were always harping how great "Skull Candy" ear buds are, but mine lasted like a week before one fell apart and the other one shorted out or something. The quality was horrid (for $30 ear buds too!)...

Now I have some Sony ones that were like $40, and I wear them everytime I ride AND at the gym. I beat on those things and they work phenomenonaly (sp??) ... Just make sure if you go the ear bud route that they go IN the ear and have different sized rubber buds. The little round head phones that just lay in the ears are the debil!
I have the Skull Candy ear buds. I think I only paid around $15 for them at best buy. They do work good, but I think on my last trip they were starting to go funky. Of course that also could have been from all the rain

Old December 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #78
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Allmayer Beck View Post
I don`t use them because the bike is very quiet and because my full face helmet (HJC) fits so well that any wind noise is negligable--I also have a high frequency hearing loss from things that went Boom while I was in Nam, that I probably would not be bothered by wind noise.
Same here. My high frequency hearing loss is over 40% in my left ear from work.

Too many gunshots, too much radio traffic in my ear piece!

No plugs for me.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #79
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Same here. My high frequency hearing loss is over 40% in my left ear from work.

Too many gunshots, too much radio traffic in my ear piece!

No plugs for me.
whaaaaaaat?

Old December 30th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #80
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I could hear all frequencies, with my Sennheiser CX300s, the TV on the other hand topped out at 16khz

For the first 3 months of riding, I didn't and each time after riding a fair way, my ears were ringing a little, I have recently got some Sennheiser CX300s and they are the ones that fit securly in ear and they are great, reduce the noise so much with out music, then I can put music on at a really low level on my MP3 player and hear it perfectly (and I can still hear everything around me) the best of both worlds.

Only time I don't ride with them is if I am just going to be riding 5 mins down the road in low speed areas.
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote