ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Finder
ninjette.org member

Name: Mr.

Motorcycle(s): F650GS Dakar, FJR1300, Ninja 250R

Sonic Springs Thumbs Up!

Finally found some time to install new springs up front! Ordered a set from Sonic Springs and I couldn't be more happy. Amazing customer service and speedy shipping. Great people to work with!

Regarding the springs, they could be the greatest bang for the buck upgrade you can do. I contemplated ordering emulators at the same time, but decided to give just the springs a shot first. Installation is very easy (if you have a front stem lift). I weigh about 220 and installed a .85 kg/mm set and used 15wt fork oil as recommended. Nice detailed instructions as well as spacer tubing all neatly packaged.

A 500 mile loop today showed they are quite adequate for me without emulators. No more bottoming, and greatly minimized diving during braking. No more front end bobbing during corner setup under braking as well as mid corner line adjustments. Ride is still quite compliant and not jarring, even over some larger bumps and holes. If you're finding your front end mushy and soft, I highly recommend installing better springs as is without emulators as a good first step!

On another note, I'm finding it quite surprising that the rear end is holding its own under my weight. I have the preload at 5 and amazingly sag is pretty close to what I want. It's definitely a little harsh and could use with a little less rebound, but it's quite livable provided you carry a little weight with your legs when things gets really rough. If I didn't plan on using the little Ninja for some medium distance touring, I think I'd leave the rear end alone! I sure hope the Elka 2-way is worth the wait!!

Here's a to a spring upgrade for the Ninjette!

Cheers!
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Mr. Finder...

Thanks for the info. I'll be picking up some of these when I order my Elka.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote