Go Back   ninjette.org > 2018+ Ninja 400 > 2018+ Ninja 400 Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 18th, 2023, 05:01 PM   #1
wonderhd
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Zik

Motorcycle(s): Ninja400 2011

First Bike, First time headache!

Bought a used Ninja 400R (2011 Canadian Model Year. Yes its unique to Canada! Same as 2018 models worldwide)
- 16k on ODO
- Seller said "Bad" battery or Rectifier (SH678A-12)
I first replaced the oil before I did anything.
I replaced the battery with a brand new and it started right up. Rode it very little maybe 10 mins and parked it. Next day rode it up hill just in first gear and parked it. Wont start now.

When i turn the key here is what i see:
- Dash lights come on. "N" shows on the right side in GREEN and "Oil" light turns RED on the left.
- High beams/Low beams DONT come on. Before they did! (I checked the fuse, seems okay but i didnt test with volt meter yet) Maybe they should only come on when engine runs.
- When i press the start button, i can hear a faint buzz near the fusebox. (Seat removed) It only comes for a second and stops. Hard to reproduce. Its almost like crackling/clicking but very very faint. Can be both buzz/crackling.

What i already tried:
- Tried starting with another fully charged battery.
- Tried charging the current battery, still wont start.
- Shorted the starter solenoid, it tries to crank but wont start. Almost as if the engine either doesnt get any voltage/power.
- Tried with the kickstand both up and down.
- Bike is in neutral as it shows on dash

What i didnt try:
- Testing the voltage on both batteries. (One of them is brand new and it ran the bike no issue)
- Testing the clutch safety switch(Did short he wire and it didnt make any difference)
- Testing each fuse in the box
- Testing the rectifier somehow?

Now this may be a walk in the park for some one who knows bike stuff, its my first bike ever. All i can say i hear a very faint buzz very close to the fusebox. Thats it.

Any help?
wonderhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2023, 05:47 PM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
The older Canadian Ninja 400R is a sleeved down Ninja 650. They have very little in common with the 2018+ Ninja 400.

General advice from other Kawasaki experience...

Clicking/buzzing is almost always a relay not operating properly, due to low voltage, due to a bad battery. Test the battery voltage, including while you're cranking it. A bad battery might show good voltage with no load, but drop way down when under load.

The R/R rectifies AC coming out of the stator into DC and regulates it down to 12V. A bad R/R can result in low output, causing the battery not to charge, or in high output, frying the battery and destroying it. You should definitely test the R/R.

On most/all US bikes, Kawasaki has a relay that keeps the headlight off until the engine turns over and the stator starts generating power. This leaves more power for the starter, and helps avoid flickering the headlight while starting.

The safety switches interrupt ground on the starter circuit. The button will be completely dead, like you don't have the key turned on.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote