ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 3rd, 2022, 06:26 PM   #1
Axelhere123
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Axel

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r

Question 08 Ninja 250r Problems

So I bought this bike used at 5k miles. No issues Good start up smooth shifts
I’ve put around 120 miles on it.
One day while riding on a 60 mph street I accelerated fast to get away from traffic but when I came to a red light my bike turned off. I put it back in neutral turned on and forgot about it. Today it happened to me again twice back to back. I came home and couldn’t get the bike back on without giving throttle and only after a few tries. While on it would struggle to idle and turn off. After I got it on and it idles decently I took it around and I noticed acceleration was very off struggling constantly feeling like it was getting no power. After a little while it got a little back to normal but still have problems turning on without giving gas. I’m pretty sure it’d turn off on me again if I took off on that high way the same way .
Any ideas? Carb ? Spark Plug? Battery ?
Axelhere123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2022, 09:03 AM   #2
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelhere123 View Post
So I bought this bike used at 5k miles. No issues Good start up smooth shifts
I’ve put around 120 miles on it.
One day while riding on a 60 mph street I accelerated fast to get away from traffic but when I came to a red light my bike turned off. I put it back in neutral turned on and forgot about it. Today it happened to me again twice back to back. I came home and couldn’t get the bike back on without giving throttle and only after a few tries. While on it would struggle to idle and turn off. After I got it on and it idles decently I took it around and I noticed acceleration was very off struggling constantly feeling like it was getting no power. After a little while it got a little back to normal but still have problems turning on without giving gas. I’m pretty sure it’d turn off on me again if I took off on that high way the same way .
Any ideas? Carb ? Spark Plug? Battery ?
Welcome to the forum!

What work did you do prior to riding it-meaning did you service it at all, or just start running it after purchase? I would personally replace the air filter, pull the carbs, break them down by removing the top and bottom end of them, soak them overnight in the gallon container of Berryman's Chem-Dip (get this at an auto parts store), clean them up after bathing with a can or two of carb cleaner spray, do the same with the jets and carb bowls, and clean up all the parts you see there. DEFINITELY change the oil and filter, K&N filter can be easily bought at Advance Auto, typically it is in stock and on the shelf.

NOTE-On the '08 the needles and jets are carb-side specific, so definitely do not mix them up, the bike will run worse if you don't pay good attention.

If you have not already, be sure to read this link for DIY if you do your own work: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

EDIT-Also read this link, even if the carb info is from the older 250's, the carbs are very much the same except for some small differences. The ideas and techniques will be identical though- https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Axelhere123
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgss77 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

What work did you do prior to riding it-meaning did you service it at all, or just start running it after purchase? I would personally replace the air filter, pull the carbs, break them down by removing the top and bottom end of them, soak them overnight in the gallon container of Berryman's Chem-Dip (get this at an auto parts store), clean them up after bathing with a can or two of carb cleaner spray, do the same with the jets and carb bowls, and clean up all the parts you see there. DEFINITELY change the oil and filter, K&N filter can be easily bought at Advance Auto, typically it is in stock and on the shelf.

NOTE-On the '08 the needles and jets are carb-side specific, so definitely do not mix them up, the bike will run worse if you don't pay good attention.

If you have not already, be sure to read this link for DIY if you do your own work: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

EDIT-Also read this link, even if the carb info is from the older 250's, the carbs are very much the same except for some small differences. The ideas and techniques will be identical though- https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
Thanks for the reply!
Did an oil and oil filter change. Now I have 2 more problems the air box appears to have gas in it and the battery has died.. not sure what’s going on but it all seems to be falling apart I’m going to get a carb rebuild kit today hopefully that helps.

Old July 4th, 2022, 09:53 AM   #4
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelhere123 View Post
Thanks for the reply!
Did an oil and oil filter change. Now I have 2 more problems the air box appears to have gas in it and the battery has died.. not sure what’s going on but it all seems to be falling apart I’m going to get a carb rebuild kit today hopefully that helps.
Gas in the airbox, if I am not mistaken, means the carb bowls are overfilling and the overflow is clogged, so it is overflowing out any way it can, the next easiest path of travel is back into the airbox. Yep, the carbs need outed and thoroughly cleaned up.

If you have a battery charger, now is a great time to get that topped up. If you don't, take it to your local auto parts store, they can both test it and charge it, both for free.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2022, 10:46 AM   #5
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgss77
"NOTE-On the '08 the needles and jets are carb-side specific, so definitely do not mix them up, the bike will run worse if you don't pay good attention."

N9VU in the left hand, N9VW in right hand carb
98 main 38 pilots both sides
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2022, 03:42 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Make sure you get OEM factory carb rebuild kit. Aftermarket ones often don't have proper components and poor quality seals.

search on here for "clean carbs ducatiman" for procedures and photos on carb-cleaning. Don't use spray carb-cleaner as they no longer work due to removal of chlorinated
compounds. Scrub brushes, soft copper wire and PEA-based fuel-system cleaner does wonders for clearing out secret hidden passages.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2022, 10:56 AM   #7
Axelhere123
ninjette.org newbie

One more thing came up , I noticed I’ve been riding the bike in pri and not on, I thought the switch was a on/off switch for gas like dirt bikes .. did I break something ? Lol

Old July 5th, 2022, 04:20 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
PRI is ON full-time
ON only flows when vaccum from carbs is applied to petcock.

If you're overwhelming your float-valves, extra petrol would drip downhill, into engine.

Make sure clear vent hose between carbs is not clogged and aimed backwards and down to ground near rear-shock. It's not really overflow hose because to get petrol out of that hose, you'd have to flip bike upside down.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote