ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

In the shoes of a noob. (Msf basic redux)

As part of becoming a certified riding coach I was required to take the full msf basic course. The idea is to experience a perspective of a new rider but while being evaluated as a potential rider coach.

It's been a little over a year since I first sat in a classroom learning about t clocs and fine-c. It was a very sobering classroom session. I pretended to be just like any other student. I talked with a few other students who were excited about getting a gsxr that or whether a ninja 250 would be a good enough bike for them.

I rode my bike there which did raise a few eyebrows in regards to my anonymity. I chuckled to myself when during the breaks the aspiring sport bike riders were talking about my chicken strips and my flat spots. It was confirmed in that small group that I clearly wasnt a good rider since I have a solid quarter inch of virgin rubber.

I remember a year ago I would've torn into all those guys. Bluntly stating that its a 150 sized tire and on those small rims it gets pinched pretty bad. "I'll let you borrow a set of leathers while you try to find that edge of the tire. Trust me you'll want some run off while you skip across the ground..."

Hate to say that I've grown up a bit, but yea, I've got nothing to prove. I know that I'm a damn good rider. But the only people that it matters to is the competition

And my perspective grew. I'm just going to lay this out there. The basic motorcycle safety program is most likely the best option for the public to learn how to ride. I used to feel that it was overrated and that the program was week. But experiencing the class with the mindset of one day teaching these people completely changed that for me.

Riding a motorcycle is hard. There is no easy or get out of jail free card. You have it or you don't. It's a real ego punch to a lot of people. And I realized that most of the riders in these classes are just barely getting the hang of each exercise before we move on to the next one.

Even I got some practice and honed a few low speed skills while taking the class. I literally never practice u turns or doing sub 8 mph slaloms. So after a couple passes I was clutching the bike to get it to turn in then feathering the clutch while hard on the gas to get the bike to stand up. It was a great. I was doing stupid tight u turns and actually thinking to myself, "They may find this hard now, but they have no idea how being cozy with be clutch at low speeds can prevent them from that infamous low speed drop.

After going through all the exercises I realized that at the minimum everyone will be at least a better car driver. Learning to look ahead, turn your head, the emphasis on being smooth. I don't care if your Jeff Gordon, James bubba Stewart, or Rossi, being smooth is paramount to all motorsports.

The exercises themselves won't make you a world champ. The exercises are the basic foundations for riding. But the concepts that we try and slip into riders minds are so important. I can tell someone a 100 times that traction is shared when braking or turning. And use all kinds of science to back me up. But someone who is learning how to use a clutch isn't going to pick up any of that. They are going to remember that when the deer is in the middle of the turn that they should straighten the bike up and then get on the brakes. They won't understand why, but that scenario has a much higher success rate than them trying to remember that they can feed in 30% brake since they aren't that cranked over and the ground has ok traction.

It's simple and effective. People that are learning need simple. That's why we ride ninjettes. They are simple, not intimidating machines, that make it easier to learn.

I take back everything negative I have ever said about the msf program. Every new rider should take it.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old October 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You rock. Good to see you come full circle, as you're able to put my feelings into words.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I owe everything to the MSF class I took. Had I not taken it I probably would have been either severly hurt or dead by now. I will push taking the MSF class to anyone that ask me about riding. have had numerous coworkers ask about how I got started and that they would like to as well.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #4
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

as a noob rider who took the class, pls pls pls pls give out compliments often, we're all scared under the helmets and that will encourage us a lot
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Great article, Cameron !!!

It is far from a perfect course, but it teaches the basics not to drop the bike in traffic.

The best I got from my instructors were not the technical details but the concept that the machine must be respected and that surviving in traffic requires more awareness, prudence and good common sense than amazing skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Hate to say that I've grown up a bit, but yea, I've got nothing to prove. I know that I'm a damn good rider. But the only people that it matters to is the competition ............
It seems that there is more grow up to happen

"If your mind is empty, it is ready for anything. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few." - Shunryu Suzuki
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #6
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

What was your original beef with the MSF?
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote