ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #1
jnninja250r
Qtr Ltr

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Think I may have found a bike... Few Questions

I found a 2009 Green SE 250 a couple hours away. I was on my way to look at something else and just happened to see it in a small town as I drove by. It has 140mi, and they're asking $3000 firm. I've looked at and rode it, and all seems to be in working order, no visible cosmetic damage.

So to the questions.
1. Is $3k a fair price? Too low? Should I be worried about some horrible mechanical issue?

2. Anything about the bike I should ask the dealer about specifically before I buy?

3. I don't think I'm quite ready to ride it down the Interstate so I would be bringing it home in the back of my truck. My first choice would be to find a loading dock somewhere in town, but worst comes to worst, can three or four guys safely lift it out, or should I buy a ramp?

4. Finally what maintenance stuff should I plan on doing right away? Oil Service? others?

Thanks, Pics Hopefully to some soon!
jnninja250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

sounds like a good deal. the bike is basically brand new (140 miles). sounds like someone thought they wanted to own a motorcycle and then decided riding wasn't their cup of tea - their loss/your gain. there really hasn't been enough time for there to be any mechanical concerns, (again, only 140 miles). just ride it and be ready for your first oil change at 600 (recc. rotella t6 full synthetic).

hope you get it!
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #3
bob138
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 1991 EX500 , 2009 250r

Get a 2x12 board and cut it the same length as the bed of your truck, now yoy have a ramp. Two guys should be able to push it up that relatively easy. To make a smoother transition from ramp to bed, drop your tailgate, then remove the straps from the side so that the tailgate will angle down a bit, or just completely remove the tailgate. If push comes to shove, you can always use the tailgate as a ramp.

When strapping the bike in it is very important to angle it from one corner to another across the bed. Then put it on the kickstand and strap it down so that it is locked on both wheels and the kickstand. I usually go up and over the seat to lash it to the bed, then pull a strap from the kickstand side to the side of the bed to lock it in. Once it's locked in like that you can grab the bike and shake the whole truck.

I've done this with 4 different bikes 8 different times and have never had an issue. Locking it down on the wheels and the kickstand gives a great stable base.

Oh and $3k in good condition with that mileage is a fair deal. That is about the average I see around northern VA with $2.5 as the low with some dings and cracks, and $3,5 with mods in perfect shape.

I picked up mine with front end damage for $2k But I planned on taking off all the fairings anyway so it was definitely a perfect deal.

Bob

My 09 250R Build
bob138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Seems like a solid price and as for what to do for maintenance I don't see anything just yet, you can follow the normal schedule with as fewiles it had on it.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

When strapping the bike down, don't strap the forks down way too tight to avoid damaging the forks.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob138 View Post
Two guys should be able to push it up that relatively easy.
Push it? 1st gear works great
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #7
bob138
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Push it? 1st gear works great
Heh, I remember someone talking about a ramp they made to get out of a basement via a bulkhead. Involved a bit of see-sawing at the top.

And if you're gonna go dumb go big, see if you can get it up to 30-40ish and stop before you hit the cab ;p

Bob

My 09 250R Build

Old October 19th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #8
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

It would be a great choice I have an 09 250 SE. I say buy it up. I'll never sell mine, I love it so much. When I bought mine (brand new) I had 0 miles on a bike, no experience at all. It was around 160 miles from where I live (I live in Harleyville, no Kawi dealers around me). So what I did is rented an open U-Haul trailer, it was $32 (with the insurance) for the day. My 08 Grand Cherokee pulled it great. The guys at Brothers Motorsports loaded the bike for me and everything (great service!). I don't regret it!

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #9
jnninja250r
Qtr Ltr

Well I picked it up today. The dealer had a ramp to get it in. Strapped it down as directed here, and used the tailgate as a ramp to roll it out. It was pretty filthy for sitting at a dealership so i spent this evening cleaning it up. I'll get some photos posted up tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's advice

Old October 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #10
bob138
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnninja250r View Post
Well I picked it up today. The dealer had a ramp to get it in. Strapped it down as directed here, and used the tailgate as a ramp to roll it out. It was pretty filthy for sitting at a dealership so i spent this evening cleaning it up. I'll get some photos posted up tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's advice
Congradulations!!!!

Bob

My 09 250R Build

Old October 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Congrats, best of luck!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #12
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnninja250r View Post
Congrats! I LOVE my SE!!!

I look forward to some pics. Mine are here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58014

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #13
jnninja250r
Qtr Ltr

Only Got around to taking one pic. Was to busy riding the rest of the day.

Old October 20th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #14
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Congrats! Nice bike and that is one clean looking stingray back there too. Welcome to the SE club

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
Congrats! Nice bike and that is one clean looking stingray back there too. Welcome to the SE club
+1 to that! The green ones are way faster!
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote